Official Election Night Thread

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Official Election Night Thread

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 02, 2004 8:52 am

Let's use this thread to obsess over the returns.

Predictions are for fools, therefore I'll make one.

Kerry will win a narrow victory that hinges on one state (probably Ohio, Pennsylvania or Florida -- I'm betting Ohio now that poll challenges have been allowed) with a very narrow margin. Lawsuits will be filed, and the outcome of the election will rest on the outcome of the legal action. The suits will ultimately be decided in favor of Kerry. The media will consider his Presidency "tainted" throughout his term, and therefore will cause a self-fufilling prophecy that will render his term a failure. John McCain becomes President in 2008.

Join me in this thread starting at 6 PM for returns and media atrocities. I'll be watching CNN. Someone with a stronger stomach can take Fox.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Gee Oh Are Tea

Postby Gee Oh Are Tea » Tue Nov 02, 2004 9:59 am

I know you're being funny (I think). But how old is McCain going to be in 2008? His wife looks pretty young but how old is he?

Cliff

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:09 am

He's 68, so he'll be 72 in '08. Probably too old. But it sounded good.

How about Giuliani? He'll be 64.

Or (shudder) Condi?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:24 am

Went and voted before work this morning, thinking we might beat the rush. No such luck - my guess is there were at least 75-100 people in line. Lucky for us, once we were there a few minutes, they split the line in two, one for each ward. 95% of the people there were for the other ward, so we got right in.

I noticed someone there from MoveOn keeping an eye on things, and (presumably) somebody from a Republican organization, but other than looking over shoulders, they didn't seem to be getting in the way.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:38 am

This state is so red no one's going to bother trying to muck with it. Lots of people out though, I had to wait about half an hour. Voted for Kerry and against the gay-bashing amendment. Both were futile (we hate gays even more than we hate Kerry here in KY), but I feel better anyway.

Ryan

stinsojd

Postby stinsojd » Tue Nov 02, 2004 10:49 am

Same here, Ryan. Tennessee is just as red as Kentucky, I'd assume - and that's really saying something. I wore my Louvin Brothers "Satan Is Real" shirt 'cuz I knew *that* would go over a heap better than my Kerry-Edwards apparel. I knew that shirt would serve a purpose someday!

Even voting early, we still had an hour wait! I guess it could've been worse.

Jamie

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:37 am

Very blue here, but voted none the less. I have mixed emotions about voting without paper. Efficient, yes, but in the event of data loss or corruption I feel a paper ballot is safer. Got in and out in 10-15 minutes.
-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Nov 02, 2004 11:50 am

Matt, I just can't believe that four years after the 2000 debacle, we still don't have a freakin' voting system with integrity. Gah...
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 pm

I just voted at 10:30 and was number 261 in my precinct. Illinois is solidly blue, with Kerry leading in the polls 54% to 42%. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't do my part today, though.

We still have good old-fashioned paper ballots here. I have to admit, though, that filling in those dots brought back some unpleasant high-school-standardized-test memories.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:04 pm

Xenu wrote:Matt, I just can't believe that four years after the 2000 debacle, we still don't have a freakin' voting system with integrity. Gah...

And I can't belive that Matt still voted for Bush after all we've tried to pound in his head.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:12 pm

We use some sort of "push a button and a light comes on" deal here in KY, which we've used since at least 2000. It seems to work OK.

Ryan

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:22 pm

"Scantron" ballots here.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:49 pm

Dems are going to win, and they're going to win bigger than everyone suspects.

You heard it here first. If I'm wrong I'll be too drunk to care. But I feel pretty good about it.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Nov 02, 2004 3:59 pm

If the turnout is as high as everyone seems to be reporting, I think you're right.

TSmithPage

Postby TSmithPage » Tue Nov 02, 2004 4:03 pm

I voted just after 7 am in Lexington, KY and had to wait about 20 minutes, which is as long as I've ever had to wait to vote. I'm optimistic/hopeful that this reflects overall heavy turnout which will favor the challenger over the incumbent. As Ryan notes, it is irrelevant here in Kentucky but we can hope for good things nationwide, right?