Sterling Sound remastering US Beatles albums

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:17 pm

*I* can forget about it all I want...<g>

And since it *technically* isn't a different mix, well...

I could add the German fake stereo version, which has a longer fade, though.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 6:15 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:The hell with the US albums. Here's what I'd like to see...

They need to take the complete contents of the 22-disc CD Singles Collection and reconfigure it into a nice little 2-disc set. They wouldn't even have to remaster it. There's no way in hell I'm going to pay $100+ for the box, but I would buy a 2-disc version in a heartbeat. I can't imagine that they've sold too many copies of that overpriced box in the last 10 years, but I can guarantee that they'd sell a shitload of "Complete Singles" double-CD's.

As far as the US stuff is concerned, I think a 2-3 disc collection of all of the unique tracks would do the trick. I have zero desire to buy all of those craptacular Capitol sets all over again.

I really have no desire to hear any of this stuff at this point. That said, in the early 90s, there was a brief period in which you could find the singles on 3" CD for about a buck each, once the music industry figured out that the CD-3 was a lousy idea. I managed to pick up all of them in the cutout bins without really trying to. I dumped most of that collection on ebay. (But I threw out the long boxes as soon as I purchased them -- sorry about that, collector scum!)

If the Beatles weren't such money-grubbing bastards, they could easily make a complete singles/EP set, ala the Rolling Stones London Years (that one I do like to hear), and solve the problem once and for all. Won't ever happen, though -- not when there are so many SDMEtv types who WILL go gaga over $40 Japanese mini-LP sleeve versions of Something New. I can hear it now: "Oooooooh I just sent Red Trumpet a thousand bucks for the preorder of the first four Capitol Cee Dees from Japan! They've got mini-LP sleeves! They have obis!!!"

[Dig the irony here: Apple in the 21st century is far more exploitative and greedy than, uh, Allen Klein's ABKCO.]

And a month later, when these things are available domestically with the exact same mastering, they'll be arguing that, "no no no, the Japanese mini-LP versions really do sound better! Just check out the echo in the second chorus on 'Komm, Gib Mir Deine Hand' and listen to the sploodge, splash and pookwoojoo on the hi-hat.... If they sound the same to you, you better check your equipment."

Ultimately, who cares how they sound? They cost me $90 each and they have OBIS!!!
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:15 pm

Bend over, here come the Beatles!

http://tinyurl.com/4zbed

$70 MSRP? Yikes. Even a discounted $52 is too painful. Heck, Simon & Garfunkel managed to put all five of their albums in a box, with bonus tracks, for under $40.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:00 pm

$13 a disc isn't *that* bad, but it's not great, either. $17.50 is a bit much, though.

This whole thing just seems strange to me...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:02 pm

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:23 pm

Interesting how the original 7/10 post on that page reports a $50 list price. Then it'd sell discounted at $35-40, which is within the realm of sanity.

I seem to remember that the initial pre-order listings for LIBN were inflated, too, ($23 list or something stupid like that, when it was really $18 ) so maybe this will go down to $50 list soon.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:32 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrischross

Postby chrischross » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:30 pm

lukpac wrote:http://abbeyrd.best.vwh.net/news/710capitolbox.html

You know, you would think that it being 2004 and all, that that web site could at least join the 21st Century. Or do Beatles fans love that 1960's framed web site look?

New web site designs suck!! Frames are the classic web design elements that everyone should be using!!

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:34 pm

That site is downright traumatic to use. They need competition.

Ryan

Kjoerup

Postby Kjoerup » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:32 pm

Wha?! .... It's bad enough that I have to spend every day worrying that I'm going to DIE before The Savage Young Beatles and Ahhh ... Laine comes out on GOLD Cee Dee. Now Capitol shafts us once again by leaving out my favorite Beatles album of all time, The Beatles Story. Look, folks, I TOLD YOU THIS WAS GOING TO HAPPEN IF KERRY GETS IN! :cry:
Last edited by Kjoerup on Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:40 pm

Let's try to keep the extreme sarcasm in the Snakepit. Thanks.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Oct 07, 2004 9:15 pm

Kjoerup wrote:Wha?! .... It's bad enough that I have to spend every day worrying that I'm going to DIE before Jolly What! The Beatles and Frank Ifield on Stage and The Beatles vs. the Four Seasons comes out on GOLD Cee Dee.

Did you just attempt to pilfer my gag?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Oct 07, 2004 10:27 pm

Woops. Call it "unconscious plagiarism". I've changed my post in a futile attempt to seem more "original". Sorry.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:02 am

Isn't there a rule in the FLO charter about posting under two IDs?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:34 am

You're saying you're COLA?