Sterling Sound remastering US Beatles albums

Just what the name says.
Beatlesfan03

Sterling Sound remastering US Beatles albums

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:14 pm

Ted Jensen to be exact. See the link below:

http://www.sterling-sound.com/home/engi ... _info?&tpl[1]=curTitle&contact_id=102

I guess I am surprised Capitol didn't do these in-house, especially since the source is supposedly the original UK remasters from '87.

Any other comments?
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:24 pm

Umm, *that's* strange. Where did you hear this about the source? The entries do note "stereo" FWIW (the current CDs are all mono).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:30 pm

lukpac wrote:Umm, *that's* strange. Where did you hear this about the source? The entries do note "stereo" FWIW (the current CDs are all mono).

This is the most active thread on the topic:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... ol+Beatles

Here it says they are using the Dexter tapes although there was another topic that stated it was the '87 masters which would essentially defeat the purpose of the whole project.

Somewhere on page 2, Namretsam mentions Sterling and Jensen, but nobody caught onto it.

So if they're using the Dexter tapes, this might still be a sonic nightmare since you've got Duophonic, mono and stereo sometimes all on the same album.
Last edited by Beatlesfan03 on Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:41 pm

Of course, they already mastered the mono Pepper (stereo too?) and that never came out. Still not sure *why*.

If things do come out, better Sterling than Mew, I suppose, as long as things aren't Compressed To Death (TM).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:45 pm

lukpac wrote:Of course, they already mastered the mono Pepper (stereo too?) and that never came out. Still not sure *why*.

If things do come out, better Sterling than Mew, I suppose, as long as things aren't Compressed To Death (TM).

I think Pepper was stereo and mono. Apple nixed the project at the last moment. Needless to say, there's still time to do that here.

As for the stuff being compressed to death, is there enough information on those already heavily processed tapes to enable this?
Craig

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:53 pm

I can't figure out:

1) *Why* they would use the "Dexter tapes"

2) That Apple would actually *let* anyone use said tapes.

Not holding my breath either way, although I suppose stranger things have happened.

Or should I say "Dextor".

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:01 pm

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:38 pm

The dates on that page are weird -- some are release dates (the Barenaked Ladies and the Shatner) and some aren't (the Beatles).

1) *Why* they would use the "Dexter tapes"

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the point of this project if they *don't* use the Dexter tapes?

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Kjoerup

Postby Kjoerup » Tue Oct 05, 2004 7:14 pm

If those do come out, should be great value for money. They'll sell for $18 or $19 and those albums are how long -- 29, 31 minutes? It's pathetic.

I still say there ought to be a worldwide moratorium on the Beatles for at least 10 years.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:44 pm

Rspaight wrote:Sorry if this is a stupid question, but what's the point of this project if they *don't* use the Dexter tapes?

Nostalgia, of course. Look at those old album covers! Check out those track lineups! Yeah!

I can see the writeup in ICE now:

Q: "Why are so many tracks fake stereo?"
A: "Well, we wanted to be as authentic to the original US releases as possible. As such, we used the very same tapes used for the original LPs."

I think everyone would welcome alternate mixes sent to the US, but who really wants to hear everything with more echo added?

Wait, what am I saying? Nostalgia!

I still doubt it, though.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:24 pm

What I'd love to see (or should I say hear) is if Jensen does a great job on these and in their crudiness and all, they sound better than the current CDs.

I agree with Kjoerup, we'll probably be paying full length price for something the length of a maxi-single. Unless there's mono mixes on there as well.

I personally think Capitol would be better off maybe doing a comp of the US rare mixes and oddities.

I wonder how far this will go. Do you think they'll do the US "A Hard Day's Night" and "Help?" Is there really a place for a US Rubber Soul and Revolver where you can essentially reprogram the current CD to mimic the US version (except for Rubber Soul where you'd have to add "I've Just Seen A Face)?
Craig

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:40 pm

And "It's Only Love."
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 9:50 pm

Xenu wrote:And "It's Only Love."

I guess that shows which version I prefer. I'm not even sure I have the US Rubber Soul anymore.
Craig

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:20 pm

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Sun May 01, 2005 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Oct 05, 2004 10:26 pm

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:
Beatlesfan03 wrote:Is there really a place for a US Rubber Soul and Revolver where you can essentially reprogram the current CD to mimic the US version (except for Rubber Soul where you'd have to add "I've Just Seen A Face)?

NO! That's unacceptable! You'd be missing the false start on the US stereo version of "I'm Looking Through You"! :x

While I know I should be shunned for not having an original copy seven times over (including 2 pressings of the superb East Coast master), I've got it on a boot that satisfies my craving if I ever decide to go down that road.
Craig