Fast Times ARH/80s Movies/Etc

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Rspaight

Fast Times ARH/80s Movies/Etc

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:36 pm

At least Luke doesn't have to wear a damn uniform, like a theater usher or something.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:37 pm

Yeah, "business casual" here really means "no (blue) jeans".
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:51 pm

Actual picture of Ryan at work:

Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:15 pm

Hey, don't laugh -- he got Jennifer Jason Leigh.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:42 pm

By "got," do you mean "boinked"?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:36 pm

No, I mean in the pure, spiritual, soulful, romantic sense. Didn't the movie say that they never "went all the way"?

(What an odd little movie. So anti-sex for an 80s teensploitation flick. I still love it, though -- they got a lot of the details right.)

Ryan

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:40 pm

Rspaight wrote:No, I mean in the pure, spiritual, soulful, romantic sense. Didn't the movie say that they never "went all the way"?

That's what I was thinking.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:43 pm

And I still have no idea what either of you are talking about.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:27 pm

Surprise.

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:16 am

Rspaight wrote:What an odd little movie. So anti-sex for an 80s teensploitation flick. I still love it, though -- they got a lot of the details right.

IMO it's a classic. It made Sean Penn a star and has many memorable characters (like Mike Damone) and lines. "Forgot the magnetism of Robin Zander, or the charisma of Rick Nielsen?"

The screenplay is by Cameron Crowe, his first.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Wed Sep 29, 2004 6:13 am

I didn't see it until a few years ago, but I can say for sure that it hasn't aged one iota. It's one of a select few teensploitation movies that is sympathetic to its characters. It's funny, clever and highly influential. Plus, it features Phoebe Cates.

Did the Disraeli Gears DE come out yesterday?

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Sep 29, 2004 7:42 am

The director/writer commentary on the DVD is well worth hearing -- lots of stuff about the compromises between the movie they wanted to make and the movie Universal wanted to make (including with the soundtrack -- they apparently had to fight tooth and nail to open with something as "edgy" as the Go-Gos). I definitely agree with Rob that it treats it characters differently than most movies of its ilk -- they've all got at least two, if not three dimensions. (Well, except Spicoli, but that's on purpose...)

Ryan

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Sep 29, 2004 9:29 am

Wasn't Spicoli something of a blueprint for the Bill & Ted type characters of the world? I don't remember anything like him before that in the movies, but I could be wrong.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Sep 29, 2004 10:21 am

I'm sure you could find "stoned surfer dude" characters before Spicoli, but he was probably the first superstar of the genre.

Ryan

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Sep 29, 2004 3:00 pm

Spicoli is sort of an update of the 'beatnik' characters from the 60's...maybe Maynard G. Krebs for the 80's.

Anyone rememebr Foster Brooks? He used to make a living impersonating an alcoholic on Carson and other
variety shows your parent used to watch.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant