The Who - Philly '73

Just what the name says.
Jeff T.

Re: The Who - Philly '73

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:06 pm

lukpac wrote:
Jeff T. wrote:Obviously a different mix from the multis. But the biggest difference if the quality of the mix. The Original KB (earlier) mix is just horrid. I almost regret posting the link to yet another transfer of it. Another reason I'd say the WGV material is a different animal is the different show offered.

So two shows offered, all newer mixes = different animal (to me).

What I cannot figure out is why the 73 or 74 mixes are so bad. KBFH in general, and historically, do a good job mixing their shows. Yet the original mixes of the Who are thin and sound compressed into nothing.

I think WV has pulled the blog information they had up originally, but my understanding was the mixes they have up were done in preparation of creating an edited broadcast master. That is, I thought the implication was those were the master mixes, which were subsequently complied/edited/etc. Note Dr. Jimmy from Philly is still edited, while it *isn't* from Largo. I simply wonder if what they have up are straight downmixes of 4-channel mixes, while what was broadcast was a matrixed encoding of the same mixes.

Agreed they generally sound terrible regardless.

You mean the raw pre-mastered mixes, those raw mixes before being matrixed to SQ, somehow I don't think so, unless the mix/mastering guy turned on the compressor at 100% but meant 1%. Something went very wrong. I don't think that this is the case. My reasoning is that there are other SQ Quad encodes of KBFH shows, and they do not sound so distant when found in pre-FM form on LPs and later CDs.

I thought that what WGV has up is newer master mixes done in anticipation of a full on CD release. And once that fell through, they had those mixes, and were (sort of) legally clear to stream them on the site under the KBFH agreement.

I have not been to WGV in a couple of years. I recall that they were seeking any info on the Who shows, ticket stubs, etc. After they got what the needed, did they take the goodies and close up on everyone? I know of other sites forums that have gotten loads of user generation content, and then locked everyone out. Life can be cruel huh.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:56 pm

Jeff T. wrote:I thought that what WGV has up is newer master mixes done in anticipation of a full on CD release. And once that fell through, they had those mixes, and were (sort of) legally clear to stream them on the site under the KBFH agreement.

No, they are definitely vintage mixes. Basically the same bizarre panning as always. And, like I said, same edit in Dr. Jimmy. They did not remix them for the vault.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 am

and the WGFA track of best of the KB CD (which sounds fine), also same as old mix?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:08 pm

Jeff T. wrote:and the WGFA track of best of the KB CD (which sounds fine), also same as old mix?

Not sure if I've heard that, but I know there was a My Wife remix that had the standard Who stereo spread (unlike the broadcast and what's up on WV).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:55 pm

This semi-recent reel to reel drop is botched, and I am sure that another transfer done by someone with a good deck and know-how would be better. The original mix does sound cloudy on the broadcast reel, but not tinny like this one does. Oh well.