Chicago on the KBFH (in Quadraphonic) 1974?

Just what the name says.
Jeff T.

Chicago on the KBFH (in Quadraphonic) 1974?

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:26 am

I was browsing around looking at KBFH material as I often do and I came across this show listed as a 1974 King Biscuit, and is said to be an 82min. recording.

Chicago - King Biscuit Flower Hour 1974 (SQ to DVDA DTS Dolby)

I have a Louisville, KY 1975 recording, which my files indicate is a 49min. Biscuit recording.

This might just be a longer version of the Louisvile 75 recording. Or my original 75 date is incorrect, I have a feeling it is the same show, just different broadcast dates is all.

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2729658/60157344/

I may grab this (not sure, as I never do downloads), but if I do I'll let you know how and what it turns out to be.

David R. Modny

Re: Chicago on the KBFH (in Quadraphonic) 1974?

Postby David R. Modny » Fri Sep 23, 2011 1:48 am

Jeff T. wrote:I was browsing around looking at KBFH material as I often do and I came across this show listed as a 1974 King Biscuit, and is said to be an 82min. recording.

Chicago - King Biscuit Flower Hour 1974 (SQ to DVDA DTS Dolby)

I have a Louisville, KY 1975 recording, which my files indicate is a 49min. Biscuit recording.

This might just be a longer version of the Louisvile 75 recording. Or my original 75 date is incorrect, I have a feeling it is the same show, just different broadcast dates is all.

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2729658/60157344/

I may grab this (not sure, as I never do downloads), but if I do I'll let you know how and what it turns out to be.

Jeff,

The '74 Louisville date is the correct one. As noted, this was originally a show that ran on KBFH. My first encounter with the longer version was a vinyl boot back in the early 80s -- probably lifted from an off-air of the original broadcast. The shorter version has been rebroadcast about a bazillion times by The Biscuit in the years since. It's always been one of the more widely distributed (and popular) shows from the Kath era.

Wolfgang's has it divided into "two sets" on their website, but if I recall correctly, something isn't quite right with that one. That is, for example, I believe "Got To Get You Into My Life" is from another FM source/date altogether (perhaps 1978 or '79 if my memory serves me correctly and without listening).

Dave

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:27 am

Thanks David.

I hope this is a good version of the original full tape.

I went to burn the DL'd files and realized that this is a dual-layer DVD project.

I have none of those on hand. I wonder what would happen if I ran an audio disc through DVD Shrink to get it down in size? I guess I should try.

btw, is the WGV version an 82 min. program or the 49min. + added track?

Jeff

David R. Modny

Postby David R. Modny » Thu Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Jeff T. wrote:btw, is the WGV version an 82 min. program or the 49min. + added track?

Jeff,

Here's what they have on Wolfgang's. Note the two sets (but take with a grain of salt):

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/chicago/c ... set-1.html

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/chicago/c ... set-2.html

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:20 am

Thanks for the bit of additional information Dave.

I did get the disc burned to DVD. I tried DVD Decrypter which requested a DL disc (which I don't have on hand). I then tried DVD Shrink to bring it down in size. It was interesting (to me anyway) that Shrink does not claim to open ISO image files. It rejected it each time I tried as unsupported/unknown file type. I then dragged it (ISO file) into Shrink's main explorer interface area and it opened it up (recognized it as a DVD) and showed file size as not needing to be shrunk in order to fit onto a standard single layer DVD. I realized why soon enough. Shrink did not acknowledge a "Audio TS" folder on the disc, and only opened (and burned the "Video TS" folder which is the DD lower rez files, and not the DVD-A high rezzie material. DVD Shrink does not copy all the contents from a DVD-A disc either, just that secondary audio tracks/channels. Ok fine enough.

I would guess you know what I am talking about here (whoever is reading) about all this Decrypter / Shrinkage stuff.

And so I am about ready to play the darn thing. But.... I also re-did the foam on my big speakers. The woofers were totally rotted out. Four 12" woofers needed new edge foam. And I was missing a center channel as well. I ended up digging out these two Infinitys I have had down in my storage room. They are those nice wood grain 15" tall bookshelf types. I wanted these to be my centers because they would fit on my bookshelf in the center of my living room, and look nice. That's right two smaller speakers are now the center channel. Two because the front L & Rs are large, and rears are also semi-large, using both of these nicer smaller speakers (side by side) should make up for their smaller size.

I had these Infinitys in storage for over 15 years because I was either going to have them redone (rotten foam again), or buy new woofer drivers (a bit expensive). But I found out something interesting. Over the last 10 years, there are places online that sell new replacement speaker drivers for 80% less than what you would have to pay in stores in mid to late 90s.

I mean check out MCM's selection of replacement speakers, and then look at the prices.

http://mcmelectronics.com/category/Spea ... 0000000210

Can you believe those low prices???? I was shocked at what nice stuff I could get cheaply for installing into my old Infinitys. I had driven around LA in the 90s trying to find some new drivers, and found it would have been fairly pricey to get replacement drivers, and reconing seemed the better bet at the time. So they sat in the "electronics graveyard" in the back of a storage room for all this time.

So now, after all this time I am finally hearing 5.1 mixes with a proper balance. And I redid my woofer's foam so that they sound tight and clean again. Wow I feel so industrious and thrifty.

http://www.speakerrepair.com/OCSrekit.html

I have more to say about the Chicago recording I swear I do. But I got into a barely or borderline on topic rambling run-on about my speakers sorry. Whatever right.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:14 am

artwork with track list, is that nice or what?
Attachments
chicago 2.JPG
chicago 2.JPG (132.96 KiB) Viewed 13005 times
chicago 1.jpg
chicago 1.jpg (70.87 KiB) Viewed 13005 times

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Feb 09, 2012 12:48 am

Romanotrax who posted the original SQ decode from KBFH CD (I would guess that was his source) has posted an upgrade of this Chicago concert on DVD-A taken from Quad Reel to Reel source.

I've been grabbing all of the quad material (fan) mastered to DVD-As. This one is now on my HDD along with some other interesting ones.

Joni Mitchell's Court and Spark has been done from CD-4 quad LP to DVD-A, said to be a very fine mix, and I always liked the sonics on that LP regardless of decoding it. There are folks out there that can now decode those quad LPs better than anyone could back in the 70s. They get the four channels into separate wav files, and then do the click repair, and they come out pretty nice depending on the condition of the given LP.