Conservapedia!

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:20 pm

More amusement on both sides:

http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservape ... ski_dialog

People need to stop asking to "turn over the data for public scrutiny" before they've fully read and comprehended the papers and information released to date. E. Coli don't live off of citrate - it's a characteristic of the species - so there was no "goal to promote the percentage that could do it". The fact that a certain population were able to after after thousands of generations of reproduction in a controlled, monitored setting was the key observation, and Lenski's team is still investigating the specifics of when and how that characteristic was enabled. It reflects poorly on an online encyclopedia that the leadership is still questioning whether sufficient data to understand the experiment has been released. The most relevant data from the experiment is the actual bacteria itself, and Lenski has publicly offered to share samples of them with any scientist qualified to handle them, who follows the proper, professional protocols. The Consevapedia community has yet to see a specific, professional response to Professor Lenski's second letter other than a flippant remark about attitude and a continued insistence that data has not been revealed when it clearly has.

I'll probably earn another 90/10 block for this, but when you continue to question Lenski's work while admitting that you've only skimmed the related paper, you accomplish nothing but setting a poor example of intellectual honesty for the students who use CP as a trustworthy resource. With all respect, I would ask that instead, you retain the services of a qualified scientist who can engage in a proper review of Lenski's work, whose could then post an ongoing journal of the review process and its findings here on CP. That would be an appropriate lesson for the students in the proper application of scientific scrutiny to findings that some find questionable. Godspeed. --DinsdaleP 20:20, 26 June 2008 (EDT)

It has been brought to my attention that there may be a problem with your question. You wish to know about the "goal" of the experiment. Is that a reasonable way to ask a question of a scientific experiment? Shouldn't the question be "What hypothesis was being tested?"?--British_cons (talk) 10:03, 28 June 2008 (EDT)

How could a random event, Cit+ evolution, be a "hypothesis"? Even Zachary Blount used the term "goal." What is wrong with saying that an experiment has a "goal" (or "goals")? LarryFarma 15:53, 28 June 2008 (EDT)

Because according to the Scientific method the objective of an experiment is to test an hypothesis. Remember that things are not proved in science - only disproved. The objective of an experiment is never to "prove" anything - only to test an hypothesis. If the hypothesis is confirmed then it is strengthened, if it not confirmed it is weakened or discarded. Consequently the fundamental question to ask of an experiment is, "What hypothesis was being tested?" --British_cons (talk) 16:07, 28 June 2008 (EDT)

How would you describe Cit+ evolution as a hypothesis, even assuming that Cit+ evolution had not been observed before (Cit+ evolution was observed prior to Lenski's experiment) ?LarryFarma 21:54, 28 June 2008 (EDT)

I'm afraid that's for you to figure out. As I've said, the only sensible way for you to ask the question you want answered is to form it as a question about the hypothesis. How you manage that is down to you. :-)--British_cons (talk) 02:27, 29 June 2008 (EDT)

"I'm afraid that's for you to figure out." It's your idea that it must be stated as a hypothesis, so showing how it can be stated as a hypothesis is your responsibility. Anyway, Lenski could not hypothesize about whether Cit+ evolution could occur, because it had been observed prior to the start of his experiment. All he could do was consider Cit+ evolution to be a "goal" of his experiment. LarryFarma 05:43, 29 June 2008 (EDT)

I'm sorry, I thought you were asking for help. Anyway, the article on Scientific method on this wiki states that the reason for an experiment is to test an hypothesis - so it's not my opinion but what this Wiki states. I suppose you could edit the article so this it reflects your view of how science works. --British_cons (talk) 06:24, 29 June 2008 (EDT)

Reading Lenski's recent paper for comprehension reveals that the hypothesis being tested is that development of the Cit+ strain is a historically contingent process (that is, arising by multiple steps separated over time). The null hypothesis (not supported by the results of the experiments) is that the Cit+ strain arises by a single, exceptionally rare event.--Brossa 10:52, 29 June 2008 (EDT)
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:18 am

"I resent being called a satirist". That's comedy gold.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Conservape ... g/archive1

///

You really go out of your way to defend a guy who's clearly a fraudulent hack. Even if he
released his so called "raw data" it would just be a huge load of numbers no one is going to
take the time to analyze. If it took him years and years to do this experiment he can be
pretty sure no one is going to waste that much time trying to replicate it, so everyone can
assume he's right and the atheist Darwinists can pretend they've proved evolution, even when
we know it's impossible. Do you believe everything you read? If someone claimed they had a
mountain of evidence that Bigfoot and the Loch Ness Monster had a baby, I suppose you'd
believe that too if it were published somewhere? TonyT 14:36, 15 June 2008 (EDT)

So let me see if I understand you correctly, Tony. If Lenski doesn't release all of the raw
data accumulated over twenty years as Mr. Schlafly requests, it's proof that he's a fraud. If
Lenski releases all of the raw data accumulated over twenty years as Mr. Schlafly requests,
the sheer volume is proof that he's trying to pull a fast one, and he's a fraud.

Is that correct?

Given this and other comments you have made, I suspect that you're a satirist attempting to
make conservatives look unreasonable. If so, please stop. --Benp 17:06, 15 June 2008 (EDT)

I resent being called a satirist. You assume that anyone who doesn't hold your liberal views
must be joking! Well, the majority of the people in this country are "satirists" if that is
the case. It doesn't much matter if Lenski releases his data or not. Us right thinking people
know he's a fraud because he claims to have witnessed evolution, and we know that is
impossible. That is a fact! I'd like to see his data. I bet it's so seriously flawed even
someone with little background in biology will be able to tell. TonyT 21:54, 15 June 2008
(EDT)

Do not call Lenski or anyone else a fraud without good evidence. Evolution is impossible, but
for Lenski to be a fraud he would have to be claiming something that he knows to be wrong, and
you've provided no evidence of that, and I doubt that it exists. Philip J. Rayment 09:46, 16
June 2008 (EDT) (Administrator)
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:43 am

"If it took him years and years to do this experiment he can be
pretty sure no one is going to waste that much time trying to replicate it, so everyone can
assume he's right and the atheist Darwinists can pretend they've proved evolution, even when
we know it's impossible.

"Us right thinking people
know he's a fraud because he claims to have witnessed evolution, and we know that is
impossible. That is a fact!
I'd like to see his data. I bet it's so seriously flawed even
someone with little background in biology will be able to tell."

"Do not call Lenski or anyone else a fraud without good evidence. Evolution is impossible, but
for Lenski to be a fraud he would have to be claiming something that he knows to be wrong, and
you've provided no evidence of that, and I doubt that it exists."

Yeah! Tell it like it is!
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:11 am

My favorite part of the whole thing was when "Dick Paley" chimed in with this:

The only way this can be settled is if we have access to the genetic sequences of the bacteria colonies so that we can apply CSI techniques and determine if these ‘potentiated genotypes’ originated through blind chance or intelligence.

"Apply CSI techniques." Tears of laughter, gentlemen. Tears of laughter.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:08 pm

It used to perplex me when I'd hear about people like Mr. Schlafly and indulge in their comparative ridiculous/obtuseness (see: the aforementioned exchange) and then learn that they were lawyers...and not, like, Fred Phelps-clan lawyers, but actual, HLS-attending attorneys. How can people go through years of learning how to read cases, discern holdings, and so on, and end up so unable to parse simple statements? It used to amaze me that Ann Coulter, for example, could be so cavalier and careless with citations...citations which were frequently erroneous.

Emphasis on "used to." Obtuseness, it turns out, is just a legal strategy. I read through multi-page briefs ever day that sound really good until you actually read the citations and indulge in the willful misrepresentation thereof. Sometimes, when the facts are against you, you need to twist reality as much as you can to salvage a case. This works when you're representing a client...in fact, it's conceptually the ethical thing to do, within boundaries. Some lawyers, I guess, forget that the fantasyworld adversarial system of the law and its associated "ethics" do not exist outside of the courtroom.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:30 am

Rspaight wrote:My favorite part of the whole thing was when "Dick Paley" chimed in with this:

The only way this can be settled is if we have access to the genetic sequences of the bacteria colonies so that we can apply CSI techniques and determine if these ‘potentiated genotypes’ originated through blind chance or intelligence.

"Apply CSI techniques." Tears of laughter, gentlemen. Tears of laughter.

More than one scientist I know considers the "CSI" shows to be a bane on their existence, because of the moronic expectations it fosters in the 'lay' public. Case in point above.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Bennett Cerf

Re: Conservapedia!

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sat May 15, 2010 10:30 am

Barack Hussein Obama

Barack Hussein Obama II (birth name Barry Soetoro,[1][2][3] allegedly born in Honolulu August 4, 1961[4][5][6][7][8]) is the 44th President of the United States, and previously served less than four years as a first-term Democratic Senator from Illinois (2005-2008).

As President, Obama approved offshore oil drilling including the Gulf of Mexico[9] and was slow to react to the "worst environmental disaster in US history."[10] While authorizing offshore drilling[11] President Obama stated, "oil rigs today generally don’t cause spills. They are technologically very advanced. Even during Katrina, the spills didn’t come from the oil rigs, they came from the refineries onshore,"[12][13] a claim disputed by many environmental groups.[14]

Since the "War on Terror" was abandoned during his first year in office the rate of terrorist attacks on the United States has gone from zero per year during George W. Bush's last year, [15] to at least four.[16][17][18][19][20].

Charles Chaput, the Catholic Archbishop of Denver, the city where Obama was nominated for president, criticized Obama as the "most committed" abortion-supporting candidate "since the Roe v. Wade abortion decision in 1973."[21] Obama said "the first thing I'd do as President is sign the Freedom of Choice Act."[22] It "would invalidate virtually all state and federal limitations on abortion, and would make partial-birth abortion legal again."[23]

Contents [hide]
1 Presidency (2009-Present)
2 Plunging approval ratings
2.1 Approval Ratings and Obama's Misplaced Priorities
2.2 Barack Obama and American Conservatism Backlash
3 Barack Obama and United States Unemployment
3.1 Obama Policies and Return of Stagflation Concerns
4 Obama Administration Health Care Plan and Its Advocacy Methods
4.1 Obama Administration Health Care Plan and Liberal Elitism
5 Obamunism
5.1 Larry Summers - Corrupt and Incompetent Chief Economic Advisor to Obama
5.2 Larry Summers and Leftist Economics
6 Barack Obama and Liberal Elitism
6.1 Obama's Charitable Giving
6.2 Liberal politicians and uncharitableness
6.3 Liberals and uncharitableness
6.4 Barack Obama's Brother George Obama and Poverty
6.5 Barack Obama's Treatment of George Obama and Barack Obama's Inaugural Speech
6.6 Barack Obama's Uncharitableness/Liberal Elitism and Social Darwinism
7 Michelle Obama and Liberal Elitism
7.1 Michelle Obama and Patient Dumping Allegations
7.2 Michelle Obama and Food Bank Incident
8 Various Political Policies and Actions of Barack Obama
8.1 Enemies list
8.2 Health care disinformation
8.3 ACORN scandals
9 Political views of Barack Obama
9.1 Maoism
10 Early life and career
10.1 Birth Certificate Controversy
10.2 Education
10.3 Radical activism
10.4 Organizes defeat of an incumbent Democratic Senator
10.5 Legal career
10.6 Religious affiliations
10.7 Obama is likely the first Muslim President
11 Illinois State Senate (1995-2005)
11.1 Terrorist and communist associations
11.2 Runs as candidate for the Marxist New Party
12 U.S. Senate (2004-2008)
12.1 CPUSA endorsements, support and get out the vote efforts
12.2 Senate career
12.3 Use of filibuster and obstructionism
12.4 Bills co-sponsored
12.5 Senate Foreign Relations Committee
12.6 Foreign policy experience
13 Presidential Election (2008)
14 Books
15 Quotes
16 See also
17 Further reading
18 Sources
19 References
20 External Links

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun May 16, 2010 11:03 pm

I think a 6th grader could write a better article than that.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 am

I'm giggling at "Obamunism." Is that where the state withers away and is replaced by insurance companies?
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:20 pm

While searching for Beatles stuff I stumbled across this. Comic gold.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/User:DinsdaleP

(series of e-mails between DinsdaleP and Ed Poor of Conservapedia).

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:41 am

"I teach SAT math and am an expert in logical proofs."

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 30, 2012 2:20 pm

Hmm.

Is Wikipedia Politically Biased?

"To summarize, the average old political article in Wikipedia leans Democratic. Gradually, Wikipedia’s articles have lost that disproportionate use of Democratic phrases, moving to nearly equivalent use of words from both parties, akin to an NPOV [neutral point of view] on average. The number of recent articles far outweighs the number of older articles, so, by the last date, Wikipedia’s articles appear to be centered close to a middle point on average. Though the evidence is not definitive about the causes of change, the extant patterns suggest that the general tendency toward more neutrality in Wikipedia’s political articles largely does not arise from revision. There is a weak tendency for articles to become less biased over time. Instead, the overall change arises from the entry of later vintages of articles with an opposite point of view from earlier articles."

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:56 pm

http://conservapedia.com/Southern_strategy

The Southern strategy is a path to the White House by winning support in the South rather than the media centers of Boston and New York City.

Liberals, repeatedly unpopular in the South, have tried to attribute this strategy to racial politics. The reality is that liberals have always played the racist card far more often than Republicans do.

See also
• Liberals and racism: the historical racist support the Democratic Party had.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:39 am

"the media centers of Boston and New York City"?

Also: LINCOLN FREED THE SLAVES. #blacklove

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:06 pm

Stumbled upon this today:

The worst college majors are fields of study that leave the student with relatively few job opportunities and often a distorted or ultra-liberal view of the world. Students incur an average debt in excess of $25,000 for attending college, and these college majors can leave such students without the ability to pay off their loans, which are typically not dischargeable in bankruptcy. As a result of poor job prospects, students in the worst college majors may resort to being career students.

Adding insult to injury, liberal colleges have begun charging students more if they decline one of the Worst College Majors, and study something of value instead.[1] Incidentially, a study by USA Today and the non-profit Education Sector showed that 514 colleges are more likely to produce defaults in student loans than graduates.[2]

http://www.conservapedia.com/Worst_College_Majors

Journalism is #17. Perhaps Tinsley created the article?