Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Klein dead

Postby lukpac » Sat Jul 04, 2009 1:56 pm

http://uk.reuters.com/article/idUKTRE56326B20090704

Former Beatles, Stones manager Allen Klein dies
Sat Jul 4, 2009 7:08pm BST

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Record label mogul Allen Klein, who handled the affairs of both the Beatles and the Rolling Stones, died in New York on Saturday after a battle with Alzheimer's disease, a spokesman said. He was 77.

During a career spanning more than 50 years, the former New Jersey accountant secured a fortune as one of the savviest and most infamous players in the music business.

He played a key role during the bitter demise of the Beatles, coming on board in 1969 at the behest of John Lennon, Ringo Starr and George Harrison. Paul McCartney was fiercely opposed to Klein, preferring the legal expertise of his high-powered father-in-law Lee Eastman. The feud set the scene for the court battle that led to the group's dissolution.

Klein later reunited with Harrison to organise the all-star Concert for Bangladesh show in 1971 concert. It took a decade for the funds to reach the refugees because of complex tax problems. He also continued to work with Lennon and Yoko Ono.

Klein also managed the Rolling Stones during the 1960s and ended up owning the rights to their recordings and copyrights from that decade -- to the eternal regret of Mick Jagger.

He first made his mark in the music industry by auditing record labels on behalf of clients such as Bobby Darin and Connie Francis. When he invariably found that they were owed royalties, he took a percentage of the difference as a fee. he also managed Sam Cooke, helping the R&B star set up his own label and publishing company.

Klein's family-owned ABKCO Music & Records also handled the recordings of such artists as the Animals, Herman's Hermits, Bobby Womack, Marianne Faithfull, the Kinks, Chubby Checker, Bobby Rydell and many others.

He is survived by his wife and three adult children. His funeral will take place in New York on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Dean Goodman; editing by Bill Trott)
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Re: Klein dead

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:01 pm

It is rarely noted that he did in fact do time in the clink for tax evasion.

And to be fair it should be mentioned that the 60s Stones films, and Apple films that Klein produced were very well stored, as were master tapes of the Abkco own catalog. You never hear about Beggars Banquet original 2-track tossed out, or Let it Bleed master being so worn out it is not useable. It appears he knew the value of musical history, and ran a tight ship.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:24 pm

Jeff T. wrote:And to be fair it should be mentioned that the 60s Stones films, and Apple films that Klein produced were very well stored, as were master tapes of the Abkco own catalog. You never hear about Beggars Banquet original 2-track tossed out, or Let it Bleed master being so worn out it is not useable. It appears he knew the value of musical history, and ran a tight ship.

I get the feeling that was accidental. I don't know the details, but I think a lot of that stuff was in Decca/PolyGram's vaults, some of it possibly up until the time of the SACDs.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:10 pm

And the Films? It kinda looked they they had been milked dry, worthless titles until DVD exploded.

And a quick glance at the late transfers of Sympathy and Gimme Shelter, it don't look totally like an accident that they sparkle beyond expectations.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:26 pm

Jeff T. wrote:And the Films? It kinda looked they they had been milked dry, worthless titles until DVD exploded.

And a quick glance at the late transfers of Sympathy and Gimme Shelter, it don't look totally like an accident that they sparkle beyond expectations.

You may be right about One + One/Sympathy, but I don't think ABKCO had anything to do with Gimme Shelter.