How did you find this forum?

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Jeff T.

How did you find this forum?

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:25 pm

Is everyone here basically from the ICE forum or close friend of Lukpac?

I actually found this forum due to a bad summer meltdown at SH.

I think it was two years ago that that forum went suddenly into slow motion. Just to get a thread to load took five minutes. You could not post at all. It was like being on a dial-up trying to load massive pages.

Anyway, I happened to google several of those forum members to see were else these people post, what other forums were active while waiting for the repairmen to fix SH. And I found posts here by SH vets including CM, and the always personable Luk.

It is a small cozy group here which is not always a bad thing.

realgone

Postby realgone » Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:55 am

I have become increasingly disillusioned with the general quality of the posters over there. Any dissident opinion is quickly shouted down and the place is so heavily moderated you almost can't get by unless you are a cheerleader. No bitchfest intended, just that the place was one of the best boards on the web the first three or so years it was around, then many of the more knowledgable people either left in frustration or were booted off.

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:38 am

Everything goes in cycles. I still find useful info there. But it does feel like a big advertisement for retail sales, and the promotion of new product.

The hint of talk of disc burning is frowned upon. The idea of blowing all your loose dollars on CDs and vinyl reissues is what it is about for many. And since I spent every cent I had on music for so long, I've now settled into enjoying what I have. And all my music now comes from burned copies, or needle drops of long OOP LPs. I even took my laptop to the library with a spindle of blanks and sat there reading while burning discs from the collection for three hours. It was a nice relaxing way to spend an afternoon.

I would not talk about that over there, it would not be in good forum form. That is why I like this board, it is rebellious. And it's a really small group here. Kind of exclusive in a way.

I'm into needle dropping in a major way too. My music collecting days are not over, just moved into a new way of collecting and sharing.

I think I may just stay away from the busy forums for a month or two so like that other forum. Just so I can catch up on films I need to see, and do other things that there are to do in life. It's not good to let a music forum become too much of a habit.

Jeff T.

Re:

Postby Jeff T. » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:59 am

realgone wrote:I have become increasingly disillusioned with the general quality of the posters over there. Any dissident opinion is quickly shouted down and the place is so heavily moderated you almost can't get by unless you are a cheerleader. No bitchfest intended, just that the place was one of the best boards on the web the first three or so years it was around, then many of the more knowledgable people either left in frustration or were booted off.

Oh, I tend to give my dissident opinion where I see fit. A lot of them need to be straightened out by someone, and I will sometimes be the one. Luke will also set their asses straight when they so badly need it.

I was just over there tonight and saw just so many posts about which CDs to buy, be it Jazz or Monkees, or what have you. Japan Monkees or Rhino originals, 94s, or double deluxe, etc. Buy this CD for that Stereo Mix, no this comp for the mono.

I have grown out of giving my money to record companies. I am like so "over it." I want to get back to a pure existence of enjoying what I have and not always wanting more. I have a lot of music, I have a few systems. I should now be ready to just live happily ever after.

What I have been doing is needle dropping vinyl, and then scanning LP covers and printing the art to the printable CD-Rs. So they look as good as anything official. Seems that ink jet printers do really well on white inkjet CD-Rs.

I am not sure how the other forum would respond to me posting pictures of my printed CD-Rs, and talking exclusively about vinyl to CD-Rs. But it is about all I want to talk about. That and burning copies of CDs. Oh and boots still interest me.