Beatles: Purple Chick 'Deluxe' series

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:01 am

God bless him, but I haven't really been thrilled with the Purple Chick stuff I've heard, in the sense that he just compiles stuff. He doesn't seem to do any remastering or touching up, and his editing skills are crude. His sets are great if you're looking for all the bootleg stuff, in raw form, in one place.

My copy of the Purple Chick White Album set has a better sounding copy of the Esher Demos, but there are digital errors throughout the whole damn thing! Did he ever issue an upgrade to that?

I'm contemplating uploading my own sets which are just "fantasy" versions of what I thought Apple should have done in the first place. I've foisted them upon various people but never uploaded them. For the albums proper I used the SHTV favorites Die Beatles/Beatlemania/Blue Box LP's

Up to MMT they are just one disc: STEREO ALBUM>STEREO NON-LP TRACKS>SELECT OUTTAKES

White album is four discs: STEREO LP 1/STEREO LP 2>STEREO NON-LP TRACKS/ESHER DEMOS/SELECT OUTTAKES

Let It Be is one disc and Abbey Road is two: original LP on one and Non-LP>Outtakes on the other.

The "Sessions" frankenstien mixes were not used at all. The alternate Ob-La-Di, Ob-La Da is in excellent wide stereo taken from Purple Chick's set and drastically remastered - I took it from a "B" to an "A"

I also used the new "Revolution 1" alternate.

Shit like that. I dunno. Good idea?

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:35 am

JWB wrote:I also used the new "Revolution 1" alternate.

JWB, can provide any details of this new alternate take?

Thanks.
-Matt

JWB

Postby JWB » Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:56 am

Matt wrote:
JWB wrote:I also used the new "Revolution 1" alternate.

JWB, can provide any details of this new alternate take?

Thanks.

It's RM1 - there is additional banter at the beginning and there are no horns or lead guitar yet. It's the same mix heard in the background of that Yoko tape where she's yapping away and they're recording and mixing the song in the background.

The sound quality is perfect. It sounds pretty close to the master tape. Maybe it leaked out of Abbey Road and is part of a bigger stash? Maybe it's from a Barrett tape that hasn't been circulated yet? Who knows.

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:04 am

Thanks. I will have to seek this one out!
-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 21, 2008 11:56 am

JWB wrote:God bless him, but I haven't really been thrilled with the Purple Chick stuff I've heard, in the sense that he just compiles stuff. He doesn't seem to do any remastering or touching up, and his editing skills are crude. His sets are great if you're looking for all the bootleg stuff, in raw form, in one place.

Well, yes. I mean, that's PC's aesthetic. It collects, but doesn't alter. Lord knows I have some issues with his/her choice of sources sometimes (why oh why do people persist in preferring that Tobe Milo version of the Don't Bother Me tape?), but all in all I find the compilations and the edit-jobs to be pretty good. Heck, PC's version of the Anthology "Rain" is certainly more deftly edited than mine.

Shit like that. I dunno. Good idea?

I've liked your assemblies, but given the current glut of "fantasy" product--the PC releases, plus the "Flower" releases, the fake 5.1 mixes, the Millennium Remasters, Ebbetts, etc.--it's already sort of a crowded marketplace.

-D
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911