BIG STAR - April 7, 1974 audience recording on Dime

Just what the name says.
Chris M

BIG STAR - April 7, 1974 audience recording on Dime

Postby Chris M » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:07 am

Anybody snag this yet? I don't have a Dime login. Supposedly one of the songs is an unheard original :shock: With this, the Ardent comp with all the outtakes and the upcoming doc it's a great time to be a Big Star fan.

BIG STAR - April 7, 1974 audience recording is now being torrented on DIME: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-d....php?id=188420

You have to be a member there to view the torrent - here's a cut and paste of the info:

BIG STAR
March 31, 1974 Sunday
Performance Center,
Cambridge, Ma. USA

Early Show 8pm

opening set for Badfinger

Audience Mono
Sony TC-55 with built in condenser mic and auto level control
Nakamichi MR-1 > Tascam DA-20 > Tascam CD-RW900
Master Cassette > Cassette > DAT > CD > EAC > FLAC
Azimuth aligned; no noise reduction, processing or EQ
Total Time - 39:21
Recorded and transferred by Steve Hopkins

01. In The Street 3:54
02. ? 3:55
03. Mod Lang 3:49
04. Candy Says 4:15
05. Till The End Of The Day 2:22
06. O My Soul 6:00
07. Motel Blues 3:14
08. Thirteen 3:36
09. Way Out West 3:08
10. September Gurls 2:59
11. We Gotta Go 2:09

http://db.etree.org/lookup_show.php?shows_key=404182
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

the 801

Postby the 801 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:31 pm

Thanks for the tip -- I'm snagging it now! 8)

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:11 pm

It's surprisingly decent-sounding.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:48 pm

Any idea what tracks 2 and 11 are?
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

the 801

Postby the 801 » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:55 pm

Chris M wrote:Any idea what tracks 2 and 11 are?

Track 2 is 'Baby Strange' (T. Rex) and Track 11 is 'Come On Now' (Kinks)

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:20 pm

the 801 wrote:
Chris M wrote:Any idea what tracks 2 and 11 are?

Track 2 is 'Baby Strange' (T. Rex) and Track 11 is 'Come On Now' (Kinks)

Thanks! You guys know about the upcoming Ardent comp right?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:56 pm

I do. I'm excited about the alternate 3rd Mixes.
-------------

the 801

Postby the 801 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:32 pm

Same here.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:36 pm

When does it come out again?
-------------

the 801

Postby the 801 » Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:37 pm

3/31 (UK) & 4/1 (US)

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:52 pm

I'm confused about the Third mixes. I talked to someone that had an in-house Ardent from '75 and he said the mixes were the same.

In case anyone missed this from SH.tv. Apparently the 2 disc 1 tracks credited to Christmas Future are really from the proto Big Star band Icewater..

In case anyone missed here's forum member kentb47's post from a few weeks ago in a different thread with lots of details on the contents of the set.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...7&postcount=37

kentb47 writes:

I just asked Alec Palao, and he said it was fine to post details. It shows as being released March 31, 2008. The track listing is on the link above. Here's a few details to whet your appetite:

The first dozen tracks are mega-rare early recordings at Ardent, dating from 1960-1968. Four of 'em were released by Ardent Records, 3 more on other labels. Five are previously unissued. Included on these are several of Terry Manning's early bands, Lawson & Four More, and hte Goatdancers. There's also two unissued Manning solo tracks (he would've been a teen then). Jim Dickinson wrote and produced several of them. One track is by The Honey Jug, a Dickinson production featuring Ron Jordan, later in the pre-Box Tops Ronnie & the Devilles, and a famed local DJ.

Sid Selvidge and Lee Baker can be heard in early recordings (both are well-known in Memphis, partly thru their ongoing Dickison affiliation as Mudboy & the Neutrons).

Chris Bell's "Psychedelic Stuff," previously issued as a Big Star outtake (it's not, never was, it predates Big Star by a coupla years) on a Rykodisc promotional sampler from 1994 called A Little Big Star. This is its first appearance properly mixed. The song was untitled, incidentally, Psychedelic Stuff was just written on the tape box.

Icewater was an informal line-up with Chris Bell & Stephen Rhea (drums) as the primary 'members' (with a bass player, and later, with Terry Manning on keyboards). The Icewater version of "Feel" from #1 Record has previously appeared on Terry Manning's Rock City album, released on Lucky Seven Records a coupla years back (the same track with new overdubs was used on #1 Record). There are two previously unissued Icewater tracks included, never before heard even by hard-core fans. Probably circa 1969.

Three tracks from Alex Chilton's 1969 solo album (called 1970 when released a few years back by Rykodisc). In the original 1969 mixes, the album was known locally among fans and friends who had tapes of it as "The Mono Album," and these tracks appear for the first time anywhere in their original 1969 mono mixes (what came out as the album '1970' were new stereo mixes by Manning).

Two excellent tracks from the afore-mentioned Rock City album (Bell, Stephens, Tom Eubanks, & Manning) are included, including their masterpiece, "Think It's Time To Say Goodbye" (which is in the running for all-time best Memphis pop/rock track).

And finally, there's a track from Terry Manning's 1970 album (recorded in '69) Home Sweet Home, a cover of Jack Clement's "Guess Things Happen That Way" with Chris Bell's first released guitar appearance on vinyl.

Disc two is just total gold for Big Star fans:

"In the Street" (aka theme from That '70s Show) in its original single mix, but now with some pre-song stuff found on the master. This is a rerecording, cut live with the 4-piece Big Star (Bell, Chilton, Jody Stephens, Andy Hummel, with Richard Rosebrough also on a 2nd drum kit). B-side of the "When My Baby's Beside Me" single, which is also included, and is the ONLY Big Star song included in it's normal version.

There's also the original version of "My Life Is Right" from #1 Record, with it's original intro reinstated. Two demos from after #1 Record: "I Got Kinda Lost" (a Chilton sung version of a track later rerecorded for Chris Bell's unreleased solo album) and the original version of "Back of a Car."

From Radio City, we get "September Gurls" with pre-song intro never previously heard, and two terrific outtakes, "Mod Lang" and "She's About a Mover." There's also the first (?) version of "Big Black Car" that later appeared on Sister Lovers/Third, here in a 3-piece Big Star version circa Radio City with Alex on 12-string.

There's a pre-Sister Lovers/Third Chilton demo (that HAS been bootlegged on vinyl many years back), "Lovely Day." Another demo, a far poppier version of "Downs" is also heard for the first time anywhere.

Sister Lovers/Third is represented by four tracks, but wait! they're all the ORIGINAL test pressing mixes from 1975, NOT what you've ever heard on commercially released vinyl or CD: "For You," "Holocaust," "Thank You Friends," and "Kizza Me."

In the non-Big Star tracks, there are two of the Hot Dogs' best ever tracks, "I Walk The Line" and "Let Me Look At The Sun." (both in their single mixes), as well as two of Cargoe's finest tracks "Feel Alright" (which, it might be argued, just might be the finest Ardent single -- those of you not from Memphis may not know that this was Ardent's biggest hit) and "I Love You Anyway," both in their single mixes.

The only Christopher Bell solo track actually recorded at Ardent is included: "You And Your Sister" (a 1974 duet with his ex-partner Chilton).

Tommy Hoehn's magnificent "Blow Yourself Up" backed with "Love You (All Day Long)," two tracks cut at Ardent but released on Power Play, a local label owned by Henry Loeb, are also included, the latter in a never-before-released original mix found in the vaults (it's not the single mix, I a/b'd it myself for Alex, which appeared mislabeled on a Japanese CD under the name Prix).

And finally, there's the best Scruffs' track, "My Mind" (found on their debut album Meet The Scruffs, on Power Play, and now released on CD as well as having previously appeared on Rhino's DIY Power Pop series. And for fun, a fragment of Chilton covering a Brian Wilson song.

A full review of this will appear in the next issue of Pop Culture Press (www.popculturepress.com) which will be on the stands here in Austin by SXSW mid-March, nationally a coupla weeks later.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:57 pm

Anybody picked up the new set yet?
-------------

the 801

Postby the 801 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:38 pm

Xenu wrote:Anybody picked up the new set yet?

Nope -- I'm gonna wait for the domestic release on April 22nd...

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:47 am

the 801 wrote:I'm gonna wait for the domestic release on April 22nd...

Ditto ... I can't remember the last time I was this excited about an archival release.