Whores whores whores!

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Xenu
Sellout

Whores whores whores!

Postby Xenu » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:30 pm

And there goes another entry on my resume. If Durbin is found with two dead Cambodian orphans in his basement...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/10/nyreg ... er.html?hp

ALBANY - Gov. Eliot Spitzer has been caught on a federal wiretap arranging to meet with a high-priced prostitute at a Washington hotel last month, according to a person briefed on the federal investigation.

The wiretap recording, made during an investigation of a prostitution ring called Emperors Club VIP, captured a man identified as Client 9 on a telephone call confirming plans to have a woman travel from New York to Washington, where he had reserved a room. The person briefed on the case identified Mr. Spitzer as Client 9.

The governor learned that he had been implicated in the prostitution probe when a federal official contacted his staff last Friday, according to the person briefed on the case.

The governor informed his top aides Sunday night and this morning of his involvement. He canceled his public events today and scheduled an announcement for this afternoon after inquiries from the Times.

The governor’s aides appeared shaken, and one of them began to weep as they waited for him to make his statement at his Manhattan office. Mr. Spitzer was seen leaving his Fifth Avenue apartment just before 3 p.m. with his wife of 21 years, Silda, heading to the news conference.

The man described as Client 9 in court papers arranged to meet with a prostitute who was part of the ring, Emperors Club VIP, on the night of Feb. 13. Mr. Spitzer traveled to Washington that evening, according to a person told of his travel arrangements.

The affidavit says that Client 9 met with the woman in hotel room 871 but does not identify the hotel. Mr. Spitzer stayed at the Mayflower Hotel in Washington on Feb. 13, according to a source who was told of his travel arrangements. Room 871 at the Mayflower Hotel that evening was registered under the another name.

Federal prosecutors rarely charge clients in prostitution cases, which are generally seen as state crimes. But the Mann Act, passed by Congress in 1910 to address prostitution, human trafficking and what was viewed at the time as immorality in general, makes it a crime to transport someone between states for the purpose of prostitution. The four defendants charged in the case unsealed last week were all charged with that crime, along with several others.

Mr. Spitzer had a difficult first year in office, rocked by a mix of scandal and legislative setbacks. In recent weeks, however, Mr. Spitzer seemed to have rebounded, with his Democratic party poised to perhaps gain control of the state Senate for the first time in four decades.

Mr. Spitzer gained national attention when he served as attorney general with his relentless pursuit of Wall Street wrongdoing. As attorney general, he also had prosecuted at least two prostitution rings as head of the state’s organized crime task force.

In one such case in 2004, Mr. Spitzer spoke with revulsion and anger after announcing the arrest of 16 people for operating a high-end prostitution ring out of Staten Island.

“”This was a sophisticated and lucrative operation with a multitiered management structure,” Mr. Spitzer said at the time. ”It was, however, nothing more than a prostitution ring.”

Albany for months has been roiled by bitter fighting and accusations of dirty tricks. The Albany County district attorney is set to issue in the coming days the results of his investigation into Mr. Spitzer’s first scandal, his aides’ involvement in an effort to tarnish Majority Leader Joseph L. Bruno, the state’s top Republican.

Wonkette's story (which has kept me on the verge of laughter throughout Torts class, from which I'm writing this) is called, appropriately: Eliot Spitzer's Whores.

I'm really hoping that his response is something along the lines of "So I fucked some whores. So what?" We haven't evolved so far as a society, though...and it does look like he prosecuted prostitution rings, so there is a whiff of hypocrisy.

...and wait, how the fuck is it right that the NYTimes can craft a story like this, but manage to miss out on all of the other crazy shit going on daily in political circles?

Meh. Just meh.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

seth

Postby seth » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 pm

Federal prosecutors rarely charge clients in prostitution cases, which are generally seen as state crimes. But the Mann Act, passed by Congress in 1910 to address prostitution, human trafficking and what was viewed at the time as immorality in general, makes it a crime to transport someone between states for the purpose of prostitution. The four defendants charged in the case unsealed last week were all charged with that crime, along with several others.

This is why it's Federal, not state, and it could spell legal trouble. The Mann Act is what Chuck Berry went to jail for.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:23 am

Interestingly enough, it sounds like what set all this off in the first place was Spitzer wire transferring a bunch of money to the Emperor's Club split up to avoid a total greater than $10,000, which of course set off a Suspicious Activity Report to the IRS. And you can bet when a SAR shows up with the governor of NY's name on it, it'll get attention.

You'd think the former AG would be smarter than that, but clearly not.

"So I fucked some whores. So what?"

Heh. I'd pay good money to see that. If he hadn't been such a moralizer while busting vice, he might even get away with it. But the tag of hypocrite makes that line of defense untenable.

And yes, the fact that whore-fucking is grounds for immediate resignation while vetoing anti-torture legislation is fine and dandy says many things about the state of the country, none of them good. (I wonder if Spitzer could somehow claim that fucking whores was necessary to prevent a terrorist attack?)
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:14 am

He's out, assuming Larry Craig doesn't convince him otherwise:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/03/12/ ... index.html

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Gov. Eliot Spitzer said Wednesday that he will step down from the state's top office, saying he cannot allow his "private failings to disrupt the public's work."

"I am deeply sorry that I did not live up to what was expected of me," he said in a brief news conference announcing his intention to resign, effective Monday. "I will try once again outside of politics to serve the common good."
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 12, 2008 4:55 pm

But wait, it gets better: Apparently, Spitzer didn't want to put a helmet on little Spitz. So let's count the ways he's an idiot:

- Fucks a hooker after posing as Mr. Morality
- Fucks a hooker and doesn't want to wear a rubber
- Fucks a hooker and pays via a method that gets him caught due to laws that he himself as AG implemented
- Fucks a hooker and invokes possible Federal penalties by violating the Mann Act

Eliot's got to be one of the dumbest hooker-fuckers in the long, long history of hooker-fucking.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:37 pm

Rspaight wrote:Eliot's got to be one of the dumbest hooker-fuckers in the long, long history of hooker-fucking.

In a way, the whole situation is very encouraging from a normal-person standpoint. Law school has, thus far, exposed me to a bunch of people who seem absolutely too brilliant, too driven, and too industrious to be normal. I now can rest assured that they do have failings, and that these may very well be of a prostitute-involving variety.
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:16 am

-Matt

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:49 am

Now they're saying he might have used campaign money.

What a putz.