Beatles: Purple Chick 'Deluxe' series

For discussion of those 'grey area' CDs
JohnS

Beatles: Purple Chick 'Deluxe' series

Postby JohnS » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:57 pm

I see those awfully nice people at Purple Chick have issued a series of '...deluxe' CDR versions of the Fabs' albums - all known stereo/mono mixes of each UK album, plus sessions/outtakes (effectively upgrades/updates on recent efforts by labels like Secret Trax, Silent Sea etc.) I've seen crappily produced/packaged versions on sale here and there but the beauty of these, and intention of them, is to be traded.
I have the bulk of their content on other titles but there's a disc or 2 from Purple Chick I'd like to hear. Any comments on content, or availability (online, say) gratefully received

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:12 pm

They're all on Demonoid, aren't they? And the art is on bootlegzone. Also, someone recently did a flood on alt.binaries.beatles.

I have all of 'em (well, I'm getting the White set right now), and I THINK I have all of the fixes, both for content and glitches. They're pretty nifty...I do tend to enjoy the Chick's work (and I'm greatly irritated that his edit of the DVD version of "Rain" is marginally better than mine). We as a community owe him for the BBC and AB Road projects alone (and I lurve me some of the Buddy Holly set).
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:22 pm

I feel compelled to point out that the current White Album set has an "unbootlegged" upgrade of the demos...it does sound spiffy, but I'm not inclined to compare them against the thousands of other iterations I have (wasn't "Kinfauns to Chaos" the best previous version?). I wonder where these came from...
-------------

realgone

Postby realgone » Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:48 am

Are these in flac on demonoid? My next question is how does a behind the curve, but learning, person access the site?

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:13 am

You shouldn't even have to, as IIRC Demonoid torrents aren't restricted to site users. Here're the two torrents. Tell me if they work.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/efdcuy
-------------

realgone

Postby realgone » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:31 pm

Xenu wrote:You shouldn't even have to, as IIRC Demonoid torrents aren't restricted to site users. Here're the two torrents. Tell me if they work.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/efdcuy

Thanks Xenu, downloading now. Weird that when I tried to access their site they kept denying me entrance. Thanks again!

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:03 pm

Demonoid's entire attitude is very confusing. Basically, it's a private *page*...but the tracker itself is quasi-public, as anybody can use its torrents. It has a much smaller userbase than, say, OPP, which makes tracking its bounty slightly easier...and if you have the ability to change IPs, you never have to worry about a negative ratio accruing.
-------------

Tom Stroud

Postby Tom Stroud » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:19 pm

Is it pretty much acknowledged that the Purple Chick sets are the way to go? The tracklists look pretty good - is there still some stuff that hasn't been included?

What do they do for the stereo albums from Revolver onwards? Are they clones of the EMI CDs? Have they done some creative EQing or used a needledrop or something?

It would be nice to think that there's a definitive iteration of all the bootlegged material. Do the Purple Chick sets always use the best sources? I heard the SFF outtakes on the Pepper set and they sounded NRed to me (presumably not by PC). Are they processed everywhere?

Loads of questions I know. I'll probably end up downloading the lot but a heads up would be useful.... thanks.

JohnS

Postby JohnS » Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:28 pm

Tracklistings of all the Purple Chick Beatles discs can be found here:
http://www.bootlegzone.com/files.php?section=1&pub=163
The entries for each title include a pull-down menu with printable artwork, the inner pages of which give info on the source for each track.
Basically, the concept seems to be be to round up all known Beatles material which does NOT appear on the official EMI CDs, with the exception of the 'Anthology' CDs, which are plundered throughout. I personally don't mind this, since the content of these suits the concept of the PC series, but I can understand how some people object to it.
Other officially-released material such as audio tracks from the 'Anthology' videos and DVDs (which often have their own distinct mixes!) is also included.
'Regular' bootleg material is taken from allegedly the best-rated source bootlegs.
But all albums, singles and EP tracks are sourced from needledrops of out-of-print vinyl - actually the 'DESS' (Dr Ebbetts Sound System) series, which many seem to regard as the 'reference' or must-have versions, although others don't agree.
As a way of getting your hands on the odd outtake or alternate mix without acquiring a boot duplicating stuff you already have, and/or to simply make sense of the bewildering range of booted material out there, it's an inspired project. Especially as it's designed to be freely available. It even includes the odd 'new' track or specially created mix, and the 'Star Club' and White Album home demos are from unbooted sources, the former in particular being a great improvement, both sonically and in terms of completeness of the tracks.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:20 pm

Exactly. The sets are like the old Silent Sea "album" sets, but incredibly upgraded. Purple Chick might be a fan-created project, but most of the stuff it's put out has been absolutely fantastic, from the Buddy Holly set on down.
-------------

the 801

Postby the 801 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:54 pm

Nice 'promo' site here

Blog-style site here

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:06 am

What's the best place to go to keep up to date on the new PC releases? I always hear about them third-hand.
-------------

the 801

Postby the 801 » Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:32 pm

Xenu wrote:What's the best place to go to keep up to date on the new PC releases? I always hear about them third-hand.

Only two places I know of:

Bootleg Zone's Beatleg Forum

JPGRmusic.com

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Xenu wrote:What's the best place to go to keep up to date on the new PC releases? I always hear about them third-hand.

Another good source:

PennyLane
-Matt

Tom Stroud

Postby Tom Stroud » Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:14 am

Also

http://6plus3.wordpress.com/

Lots of Purple Chick and also Lazy Tortoise...!