The "Love" audience tape

Just what the name says.
Xenu
Sellout

The "Love" audience tape

Postby Xenu » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:49 pm

I was stupidly unaware this existed until now...I guess CDS's security isn't impenetrable. Obviously, the very idea of listening to a surround-sound extraveganza via a decent audience tape is a bit suspect, but it does give me a better idea as to what exactly this hated production is all about. Here, for example, is the "Drive My Car" medley

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/beatlesmashup.mp3
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

damianm

Postby damianm » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:00 pm

Ehhh. That was fun... ONCE.

Thanks for posting it, though.

J_Partyka

Postby J_Partyka » Wed Oct 25, 2006 7:51 am

damianm wrote:Ehhh. That was fun... ONCE.

My thought exactly ...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:52 am

The sampler's making the usual rounds. It's...really kind of stupid. Not "offensive," nor sacrilegous; just a wee pointless, and not necessarily well done. It's the same basic beef I had with Let It Be, Naked: *this* is the Beatles release for the year?
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:14 pm

Four samples here:

http://www.beatles.com/

I think Pete Townshend summed it up nicely in the opening lines to 5:15.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:24 pm

"Girls of fifteen, sexually knowing?"

(I kid, I kid.)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:06 pm

"Lady Madonna" is pretty sloppy.
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:14 am

Jesus, "Strawberry Fields Forever" incorporates the take 1 backing vocals (the ones that were left off Anthology). The transition into the Take 25 vocals is also astoundingly abrupt.

"Octopus's Garden" features some of the most blatant speed-processing I've ever heard on Ringo's vocal. It's good to know that the supposedly pro-quality tools at the Martins' disposal aren't that far above what's possible with Audition.
-------------

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:46 pm

The same songs from the sampler CD have been posted in alt.binaries.beatles (in much better sound quality).
-Matt

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:23 pm

Yeah; that's where I grabbed my new set from.

I'm falling into the Mal camp, I guess. I don't think this is a ridiculous project, but it's sort of unimaginative, and I can't believe that it'd preempt other, more interesting things.
-------------

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:57 pm

It's kinda like the Reel Music melody right, except not done as well but outtakes are utlized.

It's good for the really surface music listeners. The ones who don't know jack shit about the Beatles besides the most played hits or the #1s CD. This can be their introduction to the rest of the catalog.

I mean really, there are a lot of young people out there who are clueless about good classic rock albums or singles. And this show might turn them on a bit to the deeper cuts.

I've worked with some of these types, even in the music industry there are people who have no clue about much more than Hey Jude and Yesterday. They need their own way to explore the 15 odd albums worth of tunes. An over view sort of. This might be the way people brought up on MTV can get into it fast and easy.
Last edited by Jeff T. on Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DanO

Postby DanO » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:40 pm

Well, just 1 more week until the official CD and I can't wait! The show and the music is incredible to these eyes and ears. Can't wait to experience it again in my living room (until I see the show again in December) :D
DanO

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:29 pm

Finally got to listen to these without constant network issues. What's the deal with the strings on WMGGW?

SFF works much better than Octopus' Garden or Lady Madonna, but it still feels forced. Especially the stuff at the end. I know they did a lot of stuff "just because they could" back in the day, but this feels really, really forced. I mean, I know they liked Harry Nilsson, but this seems to be going a bit far...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:16 am

Yeah. The best mash-ups feel effortless. These don't quite make it to that point.
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Nov 16, 2006 1:58 pm

FWIW, the entire thing's out. It gives a different impression than did the sampler; I didn't realize, for example, that most of the tracks segued. Lots of the songs *do* play straight through, though I'm now suspicious that some of the stereo remixes might just be the Anthology versions...
-------------