Jethro Tull's Benefit

Just what the name says.
Jeff T.

Jethro Tull's Benefit

Postby Jeff T. » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:16 pm

I was listening to Benefit in the car, a LP transfer from a old UK Island (72/73 era good) pressing. It played about three times total.

This time I listened to it in a different way. I realized it is entertainment, flashy (for the times), but pretentious entertainment. The song writing is self-important, the melodies are not very original, lyrics assume that the listener is interested in really boring details of Ian's life at the time.

That's not to say that the album is horrible. It has interesting arrangements, Martin's guitar work is very acceptable, and the recording and mix are ok.

It's just that the kid in me, standing there at Tampa Stadium in the 70s hearing this band "live" blow through their better known album tracks had a different perception. I remember "Cry You a Song" being rather well received live at that show. The whole spectacle seemed important, and this music seemed very important. I thought I was witnessing history being made. 8) 8) 8)

Now I hear this stuff in such a different way. It still sounds fine really. But in an unimportant way. Like the fun of bubblegum music, or some early 70s sub par metal like Judas Priest's Sad Wings of Destiny which I think is a very interestingly engineered recording. Very fun ride, entertaining, and light weight. Not an important recording at all.

And that is so different than I used to hear it. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I am getting older and a far more discriminating listener. I think it's a good thing. It's a normal progression for many music listeners. I'm just becoming more inclined to want listen to Eric Dolphy playing in Charles Mingus' Jazz Workshop rather than Tull when I want to hear something or anything considered art.

That's not to say I won't be listening to "This Was" someday soon also. I have no problem revisiting these albums and taking them for whatever they have to offer. It is still interesting to me, but my expectations are so different.

Jeff T.

Re: Jethro Tull's Benefit

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:24 am

Jeff T. wrote:It's just that the kid in me, standing there at Tampa Stadium in the 70s hearing this band "live" blow through their better known album tracks had a different perception. I remember "Cry You a Song" being rather well received live at that show. The whole spectacle seemed important, and this music seemed very important. I thought I was witnessing history being made. 8) 8) 8)

here is that Tampa 76 show, I guess someone ran a video feed off of the Tullavision screen mix.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gLhyBbdc_c

& Ian's flute solo that night for those that must hear more....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_sO30LR2yI0
Last edited by Jeff T. on Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:42 pm

Maybe listening to the same album three times in a row isn't the best idea.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Jeff T.

Postby Jeff T. » Tue Jul 24, 2007 10:46 pm

krabapple wrote:Maybe listening to the same album three times in a row isn't the best idea.

No no, it was in a 6 disc cartridge in the changer, and played all the other five titles before reverting back to Tull's Island UK needle drop.

I could not stand that album three times in a row no way.