Paramount says adieu to Mr. Cruise.

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Beatlesfan03

Paramount says adieu to Mr. Cruise.

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:45 pm

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060823/peo ... _cruise_dc

Paramount cuts ties with Tom Cruise: WSJ

By Steve Gorman 1 hour, 54 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Paramount Pictures has cut its 14-year-old ties to Tom Cruise's production company because of his off-screen behavior, the chairman of the studio's parent company told the Wall Street Journal on Wednesday.

The remarks by Viacom Inc. Chairman Sumner Redstone signaled the end of one of the most lucrative production deals commanded by an A-list Hollywood star and followed other signs that Cruise's stature had been damaged by his conduct during the past year.

There was no immediate comment on the Journal interview from Cruise's representatives, or from officials at Viacom and Paramount.

Although Cruise recently topped Forbes magazine's annual list of the world's 100 most powerful celebrities, his latest film, "Mission: Impossible III" opened in May to lower-than-expected ticket sales. Days later an opinion poll showed his star power had dimmed considerably in the eyes of the public.

And last month, the Los Angeles Times reported that Paramount Chairman Brad Grey was in talks with representatives for Cruise and his production partner, Paula Wagner, seeking to slash the amount of money the studio pays their movie company, Cruise/Wagner Productions.

Months earlier, Grey was one of several movie industry executives who publicly rallied to Cruise's defense to insist that the actor's status and popularity were undiminished.

They were reacting to a USA Today/Gallup poll in which half of those surveyed registered an "unfavorable" opinion of Cruise. Many cited his off-screen behavior during the past year, including his intense public discussions of his faith in Scientology, and his blunt criticism of psychiatry and actress Brooke Shield's treatment for postpartum depression.

Cruise also became the butt of jokes for his manic, couch-hopping appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" last May to declare his love for actress Katie Holmes, who recently gave birth to Cruise's first biological child, a daughter named Suri.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal report e-mailed to reporters. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

According to the Journal, representatives for Cruise said his production company, which had been on the Paramount lot since 1992, had decided to set up a new independent operation financed by two top hedge funds, which they declined to name.

Wagner told the newspaper such an arrangement represented a new business model for actors prominent enough to take advantage of investment capital from Wall Street.

"This is a dream of Tom and mine," she said. Wagner also disputed Redstone's suggestion that Cruise's behavior had cost the studio in ticket sales, noting that his movies had made a substantial amount of money for Paramount.

Five Paramount films starring the three-time Oscar nominee and produced by his company during the past decade have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide.

"Mission Impossible: III" grossed $47.7 million in its first three days in North America, well short of the $60 million to $70 million expected by industry watchers.

The film went on to amass $393 million in ticket sales around the world, a tidy sum but far less than his previous release from Paramount, "War of the Worlds," which topped $591 million at the global box office.
Craig

stevef

Re: Paramount says adieu to Mr. Cruise.

Postby stevef » Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:51 am

Beatlesfan03 wrote:

Although Cruise recently topped Forbes magazine's annual list of the world's 100 most powerful celebrities, his latest film, "Mission: Impossible III" opened in May to lower-than-expected ticket sales. Days later an opinion poll showed his star power had dimmed considerably in the eyes of the public.

They were reacting to a USA Today/Gallup poll in which half of those surveyed registered an "unfavorable" opinion of Cruise. Many cited his off-screen behavior during the past year, including his intense public discussions of his faith in Scientology, and his blunt criticism of psychiatry and actress Brooke Shield's treatment for postpartum depression.

Cruise also became the butt of jokes for his manic, couch-hopping appearance on "The Oprah Winfrey Show" last May to declare his love for actress Katie Holmes, who recently gave birth to Cruise's first biological child, a daughter named Suri.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal report e-mailed to reporters. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."

Wagner also disputed Redstone's suggestion that Cruise's behavior had cost the studio in ticket sales, noting that his movies had made a substantial amount of money for Paramount.

Five Paramount films starring the three-time Oscar nominee and produced by his company during the past decade have grossed more than $2 billion worldwide.

"Mission Impossible: III" grossed $47.7 million in its first three days in North America, well short of the $60 million to $70 million expected by industry watchers.

The film went on to amass $393 million in ticket sales around the world, a tidy sum but far less than his previous release from Paramount, "War of the Worlds," which topped $591 million at the global box office.

I don't know... Cruise may have acted a bit wacky at times, but it isn't like he got drunk, was cited for DUI, was arrested, and cursed Jews like some other well-known actor recently.
My initial take on all of this is that Paramount is seriously overreacting. It isn't like MI3 was a flop. And who gives a shit about a USA Today poll?!!
It all seems kinda ridiculous. And how is Paramount going to feel if/when the next Tom Cruise movie is a huge hit?

Steve

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:46 am

The studio that was backing Mel's movie about the Holocaust dropped him right away.Of course, the fact that he hadn't yet turned in a script promised two years ago, helped too.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

MK

Postby MK » Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm

MI3 'underperformed,' that's for sure...but I don't blame Cruise. Look at "War of the Worlds," that did well. Look at MI3...War of the Worlds sucked too, but MI3 sucked more and was less interesting. The cat prayer was one of the worst scenes I've ever seen. Wanna puke out your guts? Check it out.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:33 pm

MK wrote:MI3 'underperformed,' that's for sure...but I don't blame Cruise. Look at "War of the Worlds," that did well. Look at MI3...War of the Worlds sucked too, but MI3 sucked more and was less interesting. The cat prayer was one of the worst scenes I've ever seen. Wanna puke out your guts? Check it out.

I saw MI3..and I can't make heads or tails of what you;ve written here.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Beatlesfan03

Re: Paramount says adieu to Mr. Cruise.

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:42 pm

stevef wrote:I don't know... Cruise may have acted a bit wacky at times, but it isn't like he got drunk, was cited for DUI, was arrested, and cursed Jews like some other well-known actor recently.
My initial take on all of this is that Paramount is seriously overreacting. It isn't like MI3 was a flop. And who gives a shit about a USA Today poll?!!
It all seems kinda ridiculous. And how is Paramount going to feel if/when the next Tom Cruise movie is a huge hit?

Oddly enough, I believe Gibson's Icon Productions is housed at Paramount as well.
Craig

MK

Postby MK » Wed Aug 23, 2006 7:36 pm

krabapple wrote:
MK wrote:MI3 'underperformed,' that's for sure...but I don't blame Cruise. Look at "War of the Worlds," that did well. Look at MI3...War of the Worlds sucked too, but MI3 sucked more and was less interesting. The cat prayer was one of the worst scenes I've ever seen. Wanna puke out your guts? Check it out.

I saw MI3..and I can't make heads or tails of what you;ve written here.

There's a little more, but it's when Ethan (Cruise) is in the building getting whatever the fuck he's getting, and his two accomplices are outside waiting in the car. They're both worried and one of them (the Asian woman) starts to mumble a prayer in Chinese, and when the guy asks what she's saying...

Zhen: It's just a little prayer that I used to say to get my cat to come home.

Declan: Can you teach it to me?

REALLY? Maybe she says the same prayer every fucking mission she's been on with Cruise. Oh yeah, this one was supposedly even MORE dangerous. Pfffft.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto