Simpsons season 8

DVD/TV/movies/etc
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Simpsons season 8

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:35 am

I see Best Buy has it for $29.99 tomorrow.

And while my interest has started to trail off a little, this is a must buy for no other reason than:

"Hammocks? My goodness, what an idea. Why didn't I think of that? Hammocks! Homer, there's four places. There's the Hammock Hut, that's on third. There's Hammocks-R-Us, that's on third too. You got Put-Your-Butt-There? That's on third. Swing Low, Sweet Chariot... Matter of fact, they're all in the same complex; it's the hammock complex on third.
[...]
Back to the hammocks, my friend. You know, there's a little place called Mary Ann's Hammocks. The nice thing about that place is Mary Ann gets in the hammock with you. I'm just kidding."

Nobody ever says Italy.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:04 am

The LAST set worth getting. From here on out, it'll be homemade compilations.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:56 pm

I have to buy it cause I don't have my other Simpsons Dee Vee Dees with me, and no one will let me borrow theirs.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:12 am

The best thing about the seasons that follow Season 8 is that, at some point, Best Buy will celebrate their release by cutting Season 8's price to $14.99. Then I'll buy.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

J_Partyka

Re: Simpsons season 8

Postby J_Partyka » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:42 pm

lukpac wrote:I see Best Buy has it for $29.99 tomorrow.

I just went over to my local BB and grabbed it.

I'm especially excited to have "Brother from Another Series" and the episode about Homer finding his soulmate, featuring the voice of Johnny Cash ("This is just your memory. I can't give you any new information").

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:46 pm

Xenu wrote:The best thing about the seasons that follow Season 8 is that, at some point, Best Buy will celebrate their release by cutting Season 8's price to $14.99. Then I'll buy.

Can you find some way to squeeze it all onto 2 DVDs?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Re: Simpsons season 8

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:52 pm

J_Partyka wrote:I'm especially excited to have "Brother from Another Series" and the episode about Homer finding his soulmate, featuring the voice of Johnny Cash ("This is just your memory. I can't give you any new information").

El Viaje Misterioso de Nuestro Homer

"They say he carved it himself... from a bigger spoon."

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:16 pm

lukpac wrote:
Xenu wrote:The best thing about the seasons that follow Season 8 is that, at some point, Best Buy will celebrate their release by cutting Season 8's price to $14.99. Then I'll buy.

Can you find some way to squeeze it all onto 2 DVDs?

And throw on some random, completely unrelated bullshit like Hullaballoos outtakes, then cap it all off with inscrutable Sharpie scrawl.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:07 pm

Great.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:35 pm

Xenu wrote:Great.

WE LOVE YOU MIKE!

I mean David.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 pm

I've never been known to deal in Hullaballoos outtakes.

I do have a nice, 1967 vintage Grass Roots soundboard. I'll have to append that to Apocalypse Now: Redux some day.
-------------

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 19, 2006 5:45 pm

MK wrote:The LAST set worth getting. From here on out, it'll be homemade compilations.

Shows what YOU know:

http://www.ropeofsilicon.com/tvdvd.php?id=2837

I have reviewed the last four seasons of "The Simpsons" on DVD and it is astonishing to know that there are several more seasons to come, but I will say that season eight is easily my favorite season so far. Watching these episodes once again I realized I had seen all of them before, but on top of that I enjoyed just about every single one of them, none of them had that played out feeling I tend to get with the majority of the episodes I have reviewed before.

Let's see, the Simpsons move to Cypress Creek and Homer begins working for an international mastermind, Homer becomes a prize-winning boxer, Rodney Dangerfield stars as Mr. Burns' long lost son Larry, Bart works at an after-club, Millhouse's parents get divorced and Lisa dates Nelson Muntz. These episodes take up the first disc and I know that anyone that has seen "The Simpsons" knows every single one of those episodes.

On top of these we learn the origins of Ned Flanders' odd behavior, Mr. Burns is mistaken as an alien, an avalanche traps Mr. Burns and Homer, Homer voices Poochie, John Waters stars in an episode and Homer does his best to make sure Bart doesn't turn out gay, prohibition comes to Springfield and Homer is Mr. Sparkle. I have never remembered and enjoyed so many episodes in a single "Simpsons" season ever.

I think my favs are still something like 2-5.

MK

Postby MK » Sat Aug 19, 2006 7:03 pm

Yeah, I liked Season 8 too, but take a look at Season 9. FUCKING AWFUL. Take a look at Seasons 10-present. More of the same. 8/7c on Sunday nights mean nothing to me now. Unless there's a good game on.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:11 pm

MK wrote:Yeah, I liked Season 8 too, but take a look at Season 9. FUCKING AWFUL.

Yeah, they did start to go downhill, although The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson is still great...

MK

Postby MK » Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:05 pm

Yeah, that's one to burn.

The Mark Hamill episode, the 'tomacco' episode, maybe the R.E.M. episode...I may try and hack up some Halloween episodes too.

Not sure how easy it'll be to burn compilations of episodes, but hopefully there's an easy application somewhere.