Waters & Gilmour update...

Discussion of CD reissues, including sound quality and track lists
stevef

Waters & Gilmour update...

Postby stevef » Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:02 am

Flesh Back
A multi-disc set packaging together ex-Pink Floyd bassist-singer Roger Waters' 2000 In the Flesh Live CD and its 2001 companion DVD is set for an Aug. 22 release. The collection, titled In the Flash, will feature performances from a 2000 Waters concert in Portland, Ore.
In other news, remastered versions of Floyd guitarist David Gilmour's first two solo albums -- 1978's self-titled effort David Gilmour and 1984's About Face -- now are set to hit stores Aug. 15.

from http://www.davidgilmour.com/news.htm

David's Solo Albums 'Deafinitely' Now August 14th/15th

With many apologies for a further delay, we have now settled on a final date for the reissued, remastered, CDs of David's solo albums David Gilmour (containing Deafinitely) and About Face. The albums are released via EMI in Europe on August 14th and Sony BMG in at least the US, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand on August 15th.

The CDs have been remastered by Doug Sax of the Mastering Lab and Pink Floyd audio associate James Guthrie respectively, whose dedication to quality extends beyond the mastering to the actual CD pressings. They have been working closely with Sony and EMI to ensure that the actual CD pressings are the best that mass pressing equipment can produce, and the approval process has taken up a little time, hence the delay.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 8:23 pm

I liked "In The Flesh," but it has a very polished sound. I think I read somewhere that someone likened a Roger Waters show to a Pink Floyd tribute band concert. Knock the Gilmour Floyd all you will, but Gilmour didn't need three bass players to attempt and recreate Waters' sound whereas needed three guitar players to try and come close to Gilmour.

That the Gilmour remasters are in Sax's hands is promising. I liked the first record but could live without "About Face" though "Murder" is a great track.
Craig

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:10 pm

Will the In the Flash set have any additional material or will the track listing be the same as the original CD and DVD?

I am also glad the Gilmour reissues have a set release date.
Barry

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Jul 21, 2006 10:55 pm

Alexander Keith wrote:Will the In the Flash set have any additional material or will the track listing be the same as the original CD and DVD?

I am also glad the Gilmour reissues have a set release date.

I think I read over at A Fleeting Glimpse that it's just a repackage of the CD & DVD.

Word is Waters will have a new DVD from his current tour. Same for Gilmour.

I personally would love Gilmour to come back to the states and play a few more dates.
Craig

stevef

Postby stevef » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:01 am

Word is Waters will have a new DVD from his current tour. Same for Gilmour.

I personally would love Gilmour to come back to the states and play a few more dates.

Craig...

Gilmour doesn't plan to do any more solo dates here unfortunately but... his final tour shows from the Royal Albert Hall were filmed and recorded (inlcuding guest stars such as Crosby & Nash), and the tour DVD should be out in the fall.
There is also a 5.1 version of On An Island due out this year too!

What a year for Pink Floyd fans!!!

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:47 am

stevef wrote:Craig...

Gilmour doesn't plan to do any more solo dates here unfortunately but... his final tour shows from the Royal Albert Hall were filmed and recorded (inlcuding guest stars such as Crosby & Nash), and the tour DVD should be out in the fall.
There is also a 5.1 version of On An Island due out this year too!

What a year for Pink Floyd fans!!!

Yeah, he's doing a few more Euro dates I think this week and next and that concludes it. However, the album and tour seem to have a lit a fire under him so maybe see his next work from him before he meets his maker. :twisted:

Hope the DVD has Bowie doing "Arnold Layne."
Craig

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:57 am

Knock the Gilmour Floyd all you will, but Gilmour didn't need three bass players to attempt and recreate Waters' sound whereas needed three guitar players to try and come close to Gilmour.

True, but I don't often hear it argued that Waters' bass was a vital component of Floyd.

The devil's advocate (ha) might point out that the Gilmour Floyd concerts included a lot more Waters songs than the Waters concerts included Gilmour songs...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:32 pm

:D

Yeah, especially since Gilmour played bass on a fair amount of Floyd tracks.
Craig

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Jul 22, 2006 1:50 pm

Knock the Gilmour Floyd all you will, but Gilmour didn't need three bass players to attempt and recreate Waters' sound whereas needed three guitar players to try and come close to Gilmour.

It is true that Waters did use the trio of Bramhall II, White and Fairweather Low on his tours but it should also be remembered that Gilmour did use Tim Renwick in the tour that resulted in the Pulse album.
Barry

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Sat Jul 22, 2006 3:00 pm

The Momentary Lapse tour also had a second guitarist, along with the percussionist (and alleged ghost drummer), second keyboardist (Carin, I believe), bass, sax, backup singers, inflatable pig, exploding flying bed, unfurling disco ball, and Brink's truck to carry the money.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:07 pm

and Brink's truck to carry the money

The most important thing of all :lol:
Barry

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Sat Jul 22, 2006 5:31 pm

Those three guitarists are really GOOD, though, and Gilmour isn't.

Flame on...:D

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 6:29 pm

Alexander Keith wrote:

It is true that Waters did use the trio of Bramhall II, White and Fairweather Low on his tours but it should also be remembered that Gilmour did use Tim Renwick in the tour that resulted in the Pulse album.

True, but even the last Floyd tours with Waters (In the Flesh & The Wall) featured Snowy White on second guitar. So I don't see what the big deal with Renwick in the Gilmour led Floyd was. Gilmour can't play it all.

Rspaight wrote:The Momentary Lapse tour also had a second guitarist, along with the percussionist (and alleged ghost drummer), second keyboardist (Carin, I believe), bass, sax, backup singers, inflatable pig, exploding flying bed, unfurling disco ball, and Brink's truck to carry the money.

You forgot the most important member from the Momentary Lapse tour, saxophonist & mullet-extraordinaire Scott Page!

I love this in regards to Mr. Page from Nick Mason's book:

Nick Mason wrote:The saxophonist Scott Page was another stage show in his own right. Our only problem here was holding him down, possibly strapping him down. With relatively few saxophone parts in the show show, Scott became a Phantom Of The Opera figure. At the slightest excuse he'd be back up on stage, a guitar strapped around his neck in hope of finding himself another part to play.

I didn't know of the "alleged" ghost drummer. I know Mason recinded most of the drum parts on the album because he wasn't enjoying his playing. He also stated that he didn't enjoy having to learn the parts before the tour.

And I always found the role of Carin suspect. Supposedly he was there because he was on top of the latest sequencers and could handle programming those better than Wright.

And speaking of Phantom of the Opera, it should be noted that Carin was hiding behind Wright during the Live 8 reunion.

dudelsack wrote:Those three guitarists are really GOOD, though, and Gilmour isn't.

:lol:

Andy Fairweather-Low and Snowy White, yes, are great guitar players. I wasn't impressed that much with Bramhall, a bit too much flash IMHO.

But please, Gilmour is hardly crap. Hence the Waters arsenal of guitarists.
Craig

Alexander Keith

Postby Alexander Keith » Sat Jul 22, 2006 7:12 pm

True, but even the last Floyd tours with Waters (In the Flesh & The Wall) featured Snowy White on second guitar. So I don't see what the big deal with Renwick in the Gilmour led Floyd was. Gilmour can't play it all.

You are right that it's no big deal Craig. I was just trying to imply that if Gilmour used a back-up guitarist then I saw no problem with more than one guitarist trying to "fill his shoes" (for the lack of a better term) in Waters Band. FWIW I feel Snowy White should have been given more leads on In the Flesh - he is a great guitarist!!
Last edited by Alexander Keith on Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sat Jul 22, 2006 8:33 pm

Alexander Keith wrote:You are right that it s no big deal Craig. I was just trying to imply that if Gilmour used a back-up guitarist then I saw no problem with more than one guitarist trying to "fill his shoes" (for the lack of a better term) in Waters Band. FWIW I feel Snowy White should have been given more leads on In the Flesh - he is a great guitarist!!

Agreed. I think we're on the same page.

I really liked Snowy's Gilmour-esque solo on the full version of "Pigs On The Wing."
Craig