Hendrix CDs?

Just what the name says.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Fri May 26, 2006 2:09 pm

Chris M wrote:Listen at the 9 sec mark on 51st B for the dropout.

Are you sure? Isn't that simply where the cymbal stops and the drum fill starts? There's less attack on B, most likely due to the different EQ, but I don't hear a dropout.

Maybe I'll have to sync them up.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Fri May 26, 2006 2:11 pm

You could be right. It sounds kind of muted at that point..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat May 27, 2006 1:48 pm

Hey Joe: HeyJoeA sounded better to me, a bit more dynamic and not as aggressive and airy as HeyJoeB. I guess A is the Gastwirt, B is the EH CD. I didn't like either sound.

51stB is slightly better than 51stA, but also duller, could be some NR or just different eq. Both sound a bit harsh. Guess: 51stB ist Gastwirt, 51stA is EH CD.
Last edited by Andreas on Tue May 30, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Sat May 27, 2006 2:59 pm

lukpac wrote:According to the notes in the 1993 AYE booklet, both takes are from the same day (12/13/66). The UK version has never shown up in stereo, has it? I wonder why not.

According to info in the JH Sessions book those liner notes are incorrect. The UK Red House was recorded at CBS Studios on 12/13/66. The US Red House was recorded at De Lane Lea in Feb '67 and finished at Olympic in April '67..
Last edited by Chris M on Sat May 27, 2006 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 27, 2006 3:18 pm

Just got the HDCD Ultimate Experience. I'll check it out and get a clip or two up.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat May 27, 2006 4:08 pm

Ok, here's Purple Haze. Probably the most all over the map, both in terms of sound and speed. I'll reveal the sources later.

Purple Haze A [MP3]
Purple Haze A [FLAC]

Purple Haze B [MP3]
Purple Haze B [FLAC]

Purple Haze C [MP3]
Purple Haze C [FLAC]

Purple Haze D [MP3]
Purple Haze D [FLAC]

Aftermath

Postby Aftermath » Sat May 27, 2006 10:43 pm

Changed my mind several times w/these, except for A

I have to go with A as my favorite, no contest. Those snare (?) shots come through *real* clear w/lots of presence. Almost sounds like the drums are jumping out at you. F'n hell. I'll take the extra hiss any day.

B Ok overall, drums sound a little mushy. Less hiss than A

C Sure doesn't sound like the PH I know and love--sounds like crap, frankly. It's hard to believe the song was released with that speed/pitch difference.

D A tad slower than A and B? Less hiss than B, not sure if this is due to extra NR or not though, because the drums sound clearer to these ears.
Last edited by Aftermath on Sun May 28, 2006 9:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Sat May 27, 2006 11:28 pm

PurpleHazeA: Very airy and bright, but also dynamic
PurpleHazeB: More restrained eq, less hiss, my favorite
PurpleHazeC: Terrible sound, hollow sounding, very noisy
PurpleHazeD: noise reduction, lifeless sound, vocals sound processed

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 30, 2006 8:21 am

Side note to all of this - liner notes. The EH AYE has the lyrics and an essay by Dave Marsh, which doesn't amount to much more than a blowing of the principles and waxing about how culturally significant the album is/was. The 1993 disc, on the other hand, actually has detailed liners both for the album as a whole and for each song. Tons of quotes from Hendrix, Chandler, Mitchell, Redding, etc. I'm sure there are a few errors here and there, but still a heck of a lot more info.

Plus the new discs clearly have an Eddie Kramer bias. The EH AYE lists Kramer as "Engineer" and then lists the other two people below as "Additional engineering" or something. The 1993 disc puts all 3 on the same line, with Kramer last. Also funny in the '93 disc is a quote from Chas Chandler basically saying "Eddie Kramer got a lot of the credit, but he really didn't do anything!"

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 30, 2006 12:05 pm

Guess nobody else is going to listen to the clips...

Hey Joe A - 1993 MCA
Hey Joe B - EH

51st A - EH
51st B - 1993 MCA

Purple Haze A - EH
Purple Haze B - Ultimate Experience HDCD remaster (1995)
Purple Haze C - Ultimate Experience original (1992/93)
Purple Haze D - 1993 MCA

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue May 30, 2006 12:47 pm

Thanks for the clips. The 1993 CD seems to be the lesser evil than the EH CD, but I suspect some occasional noise reduction, e.g. Purple Haze. The Ultimate Experience HDCD sounded really good in comparison.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue May 30, 2006 12:51 pm

I don't think it's mindblowing, but yeah, that HDCD disc seems to be pretty good. I'd like to know where Purple Haze came from for the original UE CD. I've never heard a Polydor CD of AYE - do they sound that bad?

rivero

Postby rivero » Wed May 31, 2006 7:50 am

Here's a few tracks from an original West German Polydor AYE (825 416-2). I've just listened to it from start to finish, and was pleasantly surprised. It sounded much better than I recalled.

BTW, the links are only good for 7 days.

Foxey Lady:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... DF2D704FD7

Can You See Me:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... 0A11B8ADCF

Love or Confusion:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?a ... A550E565F6

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 31, 2006 7:58 am

rivero wrote:Here's a few tracks from an original West German Polydor AYE (825 416-2). I've just listened to it from start to finish, and was pleasantly surprised. It sounded much better than I recalled.

Thanks, I'll take a listen. What's the track lineup for that disc? Also, which one of these do you have?

# Are you Experienced (Polydor 825 416-2 / 1984 / W.Ger / 1CD) ftbfs: A301
# Are you Experienced (Polydor 825 416-2 / 1984 / UK / 1CD)
notes:
- This CD is different from the one above although it has the same catalogue number. "Red House" and "Remember" are Mono, and this is also indicated on back-cover.

http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrixoff.html

rivero

Postby rivero » Wed May 31, 2006 8:17 am

lukpac wrote:
rivero wrote:Here's a few tracks from an original West German Polydor AYE (825 416-2). I've just listened to it from start to finish, and was pleasantly surprised. It sounded much better than I recalled.

Thanks, I'll take a listen. What's the track lineup for that disc? Also, which one of these do you have?

# Are you Experienced (Polydor 825 416-2 / 1984 / W.Ger / 1CD) ftbfs: A301
# Are you Experienced (Polydor 825 416-2 / 1984 / UK / 1CD)
notes:
- This CD is different from the one above although it has the same catalogue number. "Red House" and "Remember" are Mono, and this is also indicated on back-cover.

http://home.online.no/~hpjohnse/hendrixoff.html

I have the West German Polydor. Full "Matrix Number" is 825 416-2 01 *

Full track lineup is:

1. Foxy Lady
2. Manic Depression
3. Red House
4. Can You See Me
5. Love or Confusion
6. I Don't Live Today
7. May This Be Love
8. Fire
9. 3rd Stone From The Sun
10. Remember
11. Are You Experienced

Red House and Remember ARE in mono, but this is not indicated on the back cover, nor on the insert.

I also have a later (circa 1991) German pressing (847 234-2) with the following lineup:

1. Purple Haze
2. Manic Depression
3. Hey Joe
4. Love or Confusion
5. May This Be Love
6. I Don't Live Today
7. The Wind Cries Mary
8. Fire
9. 3rd Stone From The Sun
10. Foxy Lady
11. Are You Experienced

I can post samples from that if you'd like.