The new ELO remasters / assholes on SHTV

Just what the name says.
JWB

The new ELO remasters / assholes on SHTV

Postby JWB » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:35 pm

So the two new ELO remasters from Sony are clearly digital clones of the shitty Peter Mew remasters from England.

Rob LoVerde on SHTV informed me in his own condescending fashion that these are NOT clones of the Mew discs and they are in fact new remasters.

When I called him on this, Sckott the gort came along, stuck up for Rob, and threatened to ban me for having an "attitude".

So here is the last post I made:

Please listen to the files. I'm not deaf, and either are any of the other people in this thread who have voiced their opinions, inlcuding other gorts. Just because he works for Sony doesn't mean he is automatically correct, or that he has the right to be condescending.

I was then banned from the forums.

Nice, huh? I wish the Snake Pit was still open.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:53 pm

You're fucking kidding right? They banned you for that? What did Sckott say? Oh well, the SH.tv brain drain continues..
"I've had 40 years experience with hearing tape and vinyl. I was recording tapes before you were born" - Grant

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:06 am

Chris M wrote:You're fucking kidding right? They banned you for that? What did Sckott say? Oh well, the SH.tv brain drain continues..

Yes, they banned me for that, even though I was in the middle of a conversation with another gort and he agreed with me.

Do me a favor. Go into the ELO thread, listen to the files I posted, and tell them what you think. Then come here and let me know what you think, since I'm banned I can't view anybody's opinions.
Last edited by JWB on Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

MK

Postby MK » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:06 am

No soup for you!

Seriously, someone take the poles out of their asses.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:26 am

JWB wrote:
Chris M wrote:You're fucking kidding right? They banned you for that? What did Sckott say? Oh well, the SH.tv brain drain continues..

Yes, they banned me for that, even though I was in the middle of a conversation with another gort and he agreed with me.

Do me a favor. Go into the ELO thread, listen to the files I posted, and tell them what you think. Then come here and let me know what you think, since I'm banned I can't view anybody's opinions.

Just curious, what gort agreed with you?

After a quick listen on my PC the Mew remaster and the new remaster sound the same to me. I didn't do a null test though. I don't doubt Rob's claim, he has always been a straight shooter. Maybe Joe Palmaccio remastered it and his work wasn't used? Maybe Mew's disc somehow got put in the new remastered sleeve? That happen with The Soft Parade. The old unmastered discs were in the remastered slipcase..

Beatlesfan03

Re: The new ELO remasters / assholes on SHTV

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:31 am

JWB wrote:Nice, huh? I wish the Snake Pit was still open.

You can always join us over at Stereo Central. :twisted:
Craig

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:34 am

If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:44 am

Chris M wrote:After a quick listen on my PC the Mew remaster and the new remaster sound the same to me. I didn't do a null test though. I don't doubt Rob's claim, he has always been a straight shooter. Maybe Joe Palmaccio remastered it and his work wasn't used? Maybe Mew's disc somehow got put in the new remastered sleeve?

The gort with the pug dog avatar was the one who agreed with me...he posted earlier in the thread and I was talking to him at the moment I was banned.

I don't buy into this whole..."I was there, end of discussion, and fuck you" routine that Rob LoVerde always lays out. This isn't the first time that he was wrong or misinformed about a Sony product.

If anything, Rob was the one being a prick, and I was calling him out on it, but since he's "Junior Steve" or whatever the fuck he calls himself, he's allowed to be as condescending as he pleases.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:49 am

I'm gonna guess it went down something like this:

the ELO remasters (which I could give a rat's ass about and certainly have NOT heard, nor any other CD incarrnation) are a combination of Mew and Palmaccio work, depending on the disc (or maybe even *within* a disc -- thought hat would be weird). That would explain the credits for both.

Rob LV got tired of the armchair 'mastering engineers' (coughGRANTcough) on SHtv spouting erroneous technical details about the new remastering, so he laid down some law that might not be true in the case of a *particular* ELO CD in the new series, but is generally true for the new series.

A 'digital clone' should null out, unless it's a digital clone that's subsequently been tweaked.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:58 am

JWB wrote:
Chris M wrote:After a quick listen on my PC the Mew remaster and the new remaster sound the same to me. I didn't do a null test though. I don't doubt Rob's claim, he has always been a straight shooter. Maybe Joe Palmaccio remastered it and his work wasn't used? Maybe Mew's disc somehow got put in the new remastered sleeve?

The gort with the pug dog avatar was the one who agreed with me...he posted earlier in the thread and I was talking to him at the moment I was banned.

I don't buy into this whole..."I was there, end of discussion, and fuck you" routine that Rob LoVerde always lays out. This isn't the first time that he was wrong or misinformed about a Sony product.

If anything, Rob was the one being a prick, and I was calling him out on it, but since he's "Junior Steve" or whatever the fuck he calls himself, he's allowed to be as condescending as he pleases.

As Krab said I think Rob is just tired of Dave, Grant et al talking nonsense all day long and lumped you in with them. I'm actually a big fan of Rob's posts as he (unlike Steve) will tell someone when they are full of it. Those 2 clips do sound exactly the same to me though. Someone should see if they null..
Last edited by Chris M on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:11 am

This is always my downfall. The problem is that Rob keeps bandying about words like "fact" and it pisses me off because I can tell those clips are fucking identical! I hate it when people say that their opinions are "facts". Rob was saying "there is no NR on this disc" and "the EQ is fine" and "that's a fact" when HE HASN'T EVEN HEARD THE FUCKING DISC! You know? It's the fucking Mew remaster again! I bet if you ripped the whole disc with EAC, the levels would be identical to the Mew disc! I can't say for certain that it's a "digtial clone" right now, but goddamnit, I'm inspecting the shit out of those discs tomorrow. Then they're going up on eBay.

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:51 am

I have always thought of Rob as a very reasonable and informed poster, and one of his pet peeves was armchair mastering criticism like "this MFSL was mastered with a Smiley eq curve". He does not believe in UDI/UDII mastering differences, either.

Rob was really pissed in "Dave's non-recommended MFSL's", and his tone already showed his anger. I anticipated an explosion sooner or later. I also think that JWB became the target of that by accident.

Rob has good intentions, but he loses credibility for stating facts about a disc that he has not even heard.

That JWB got banned for that is ridiculous.

If Joseph Palmaccio mastered the albums, why would they not use his masterings for the CD? That I don't understand.
Last edited by Andreas on Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:54 am

Yeah, JWB getting banned for that is beyond silly. Some of the gorts are a bit drunk with power. Apparently JWB was banned for saying "excuse me Mr. Gort" :roll:

JWB

Postby JWB » Tue Mar 28, 2006 3:46 am

Chris M wrote:Yeah, JWB getting banned for that is beyond silly. Some of the gorts are a bit drunk with power. Apparently JWB was banned for saying "excuse me Mr. Gort" :roll:

Who told you that? I changed my mind and removed that from the post a few seconds later. He must have been riding my ass to see what I would post. The final post I quoted above was up for a good 5 minutes before I was banned.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Mar 28, 2006 4:38 am

Um, why would someone call himself (non-ironically) an "SH protege"?

Does this mean that Rob sells Sony-owned master tapes to Norman Petty?

I remember the old days at SHtv when you had to work hard to get banned. Nowadays they just shoot on sight. Lazy sods.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central