One Man's Crusade against Pedro's

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Xenu
Sellout

One Man's Crusade against Pedro's

Postby Xenu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 pm

So I know a few people here are on Pedro's tracker....I didn't know about this until today, and I thought I'd bring it up.

Recently, someone from the forums has been waging some sort of unholy crusade against the place (http://friedenwatch.blogspot.com/). Now, it has all of the hallmarks of the usual internet spat--lots of name calling, invocations of both fascism and the first amendment, rumors of psychiatric disorders--the fucking head of the blog says "Witness a site making over US$2000 per month from music piracy and other people's hard work hit the self-destruct button mainly due to Frieden the extremely incompetent administrator," which really says all you need to know about how self-involved it is.

We've all been through this; heck, we're a pretty "renegade" bunch ourselves, and stereocentral is pretty much defined by that sort of attitude.

However, this particular instance of the Internet Clash is a bit more problematic, because as part of this guy's crusade he (he's claiming a "friend" did it...whatever) decided to narc the entire site out by writing to the IFPI, etc.

I realize that deleting my account there (which I stupidly VIPed because I wanted to upload some of the weirder Japanese stuff I've been listening to, along with examples of some of the more miscellaneous CDs we're always discussing) would be tantamount to "letting the terrorists win," but I seriously don't want to be caught in the middle of something this ridiculous.

Thoughts?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

the 801

Postby the 801 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:23 pm

I'm surprised Pedro's and OiNK (and their ilk) haven't been shut down in high-profile-style by the RIAA by now...I guess they're too busy putting the screws on single moms 'n' teeny-boppers to address the real piracy that's running rampant around them. Oh, yeah -- let's not forget China while we're at it. So much piracy, so little time...

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 8:52 pm

Well, Pedro's and Oink's are slightly more sophisticated, are "private," and would require a little effort on the RIAA's part.
-------------

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:41 pm

Interesting. I just logged on to Pedro's a few minutes ago and got a "mass PM" informing me that I now have the option of uploading anonymously. They're also offering to convert all previously-uploaded torrents to "anonymous" status.

What good would that really do, though? If the RIAA decided to come down on them, wouldn't they be able to get everyone's IP address anyway? I might be able to hide my fake name on there, but I would assume that there is a trail that would lead any investigator directly to my IP.

I'm starting to have second thoughts about the VIP status that I pursued just to "give something back to the community."

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jan 12, 2006 9:56 pm

They might eb able to get everyone's address at the MOMENT, but if you're not logged on when they come crashing in...I hope to god Pedro's doesn't keep server logs.
-------------

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:04 pm

Xenu wrote:I hope to god Pedro's doesn't keep server logs.

You and me both.

MK

Postby MK » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:04 am

They say Pedro's is hosted in Poland. Would that make obtaining logs a bit more difficult from a legal perspective?

Whatever, it's like the original Napster, it had a good run but it couldn't last forever.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:58 am

We could always get our pal Germany to handle it.
-------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jan 13, 2006 8:53 am

The disgruntled member supposedly ratted them out to the RIAA-equivalents in both Poland and Germany. I assume Bush and the new German Prime Minister will discuss the pressing issue of what to do about the Pedro's situation during their summit meeting today.

More seriously, if I'm going to make a stand against "Internet terrorists," it won't be over a pirate download site.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:45 pm

Rspaight wrote:The disgruntled member supposedly ratted them out to the RIAA-equivalents in both Poland and Germany. I assume Bush and the new German Prime Minister will discuss the pressing issue of what to do about the Pedro's situation during their summit meeting today.

I noticed today you need to type a security code in with your logon to signin. You also don't see the upload/download stats unless you look at your own profile.
Craig

MK

Postby MK » Sat Jan 14, 2006 12:29 am

Did anyone else get that mass e-mail from Pedro's? WTF is going on?
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:11 pm

So is it safe to go back to Pedro's? I got an email because I hadn't logged into my account in 80 days.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:52 pm

You be the judge. :twisted:

http://friedenwatch.blogspot.com/

Tuesday, April 04, 2006
Delete this blog or we will publish it..... (PART 2)
lmfao!

So they published it, the big scoop.

Supposedly my real name and address :D

I won't post the details here myself as I only post facts, but if your a Pedro's member it won't be so hard to find if you ask around.

Now, with me having recieved death threats I generally feel concern for whoever that guy is at that address so will be contacting him myself regarding Europen Law & The Data Protection Act etc... I hope Pedro has been getting lots of donations because no doubt he will be getting a letter from lawyers if I have anything to do with it - I might even set up a donation fund so this guy can pay for them.

If you are the member who was emailing me death threats then even after you've killed "me" rest assured I'll still be posting on this blog :D

But now, as Pedro/VR/Frieden have proven they don't know when it's time to quit - things are gonna go on.

Expect a big fuck off posting to the MPAA/RIAA/ZPAV of every single member and their IP details of that site who is active from the next 24 hours onwards. Bascially you have 24 hours to leave now as Pedro/VR/Frieden have shown they have no boundaries when it comes to harming yet again completely innocent people so their site has to close pretty much immediately.

Do not think for 1 minute that I've not been active at Pedro's all the time with secret accounts and private proxy servers there'll never find. Every time I've had accounts deleted it's because I've posted on the forums and wanted them to be.

I feel this is the beginning of the end now. EVERY PEDRO'S MEMBER HAS 24 HOURS TO DELETE THEIR ACCOUNTS. I am deadly serious.
Craig

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Apr 03, 2006 11:01 pm

Oh my *god*.

I had forgotten it was still going on. And it's gotten zanier!
-------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:25 am

I just...wow. And it KEEPS GOING ON.
-------------