DCC CDR's - ATMP, Imagine, Wild Life,Pillow, Morrison Hotel

Just what the name says.
Chris M

DCC CDR's - ATMP, Imagine, Wild Life,Pillow, Morrison Hotel

Postby Chris M » Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:39 pm

Last edited by Chris M on Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Hunte
Senior Troll

Postby Mike Hunte » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:02 pm

I like Steve's work. I enjoy his website when the mood strikes. But, I think he's opening up a whole new can of worms by doing this.

JWB

Postby JWB » Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:41 pm

I don't care as long as CDR copies circulate.

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 am

JWB wrote:I don't care as long as CDR copies circulate.

The only way I can see that happening is if a bunch of us go in togather and bid.

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:26 am

Is it legal for Steve to sell these?

czeskleba

Postby czeskleba » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:49 am

Hey Chris, didn't you suggest something similar a couple months ago in a forum fundraising thread, and Steve said it would be illegal? Hmm, I guess now that I think about it, your suggestion was to sell *copies* of Steve's mastering of one of the unreleased Doors discs. So I suppose the legal distinction is that it's okay to sell an existing test "pressing", but not to replicate copies and sell them.

I wonder if these will circulate? If someone shells out a hundreds or even thousands for a CD-R, will they really want to immediately undercut the value of their one-of-a-kind purchase by making copies? Unless they start manufacturing and selling copies to recoup their investment. Hmm.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:59 am

Why didn't he just try and sell these to the ghost of Norman Petty??? Does Azoff have an injunction barring celestial transactions between Steve and his former client?

I think that this yard sale is a fabulous addition to the Grover Cable Empire. I can't wait to buy a swath of Steve's unwashed pillow case and a strand of his blessed genuine public hair sealed in an airtight container.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Chris M

Postby Chris M » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:12 am

czeskleba wrote:Hey Chris, didn't you suggest something similar a couple months ago in a forum fundraising thread, and Steve said it would be illegal? Hmm, I guess now that I think about it, your suggestion was to sell *copies* of Steve's mastering of one of the unreleased Doors discs. So I suppose the legal distinction is that it's okay to sell an existing test "pressing", but not to replicate copies and sell them.

I wonder if these will circulate? If someone shells out a hundreds or even thousands for a CD-R, will they really want to immediately undercut the value of their one-of-a-kind purchase by making copies? Unless they start manufacturing and selling copies to recoup their investment. Hmm.

I can't remember the exact exchange but in one of the fundraising threads I joked that Steve should sell one of his Morrison Hotel test CDR's He replied that he wouldn't becasue that would be illegal. I then asked what was the difference between offering Soft Parade test CDR's and MH? IIRC shortly afterwards my post was yanked. I wasn't talking about him burning a copy and selling it - just unloading one of his test CDR's. He has mentioned in the past on the board that he has 5 copies of both Soft Parade and MH test CDR's.

I doubt they will circulate. The winners of the previous 2 Soft Parade and Never a Dull Moment CDR's weren't announced. As you mention the would probably want to protect their investment.

I realize I'm suffering from delusions of grandeur but I think we should consider rounding up 40 or 50 of us to pool our resources and take a shot at at least the ATMP dsic. As silly as it sounds it may be the only chance to get a really nice sounding ATMP for awhile..

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:08 am

Chris M wrote:I realize I'm suffering from delusions of grandeur but I think we should consider rounding up 40 or 50 of us to pool our resources and take a shot at at least the ATMP dsic. As silly as it sounds it may be the only chance to get a really nice sounding ATMP for awhile..

That does not sound silly at all. How much would you all pay for a CDR copy of Steve's CDR?

The problem I see is....Dave will probably read this. Would he allow to let the disc go to someone who is planning a CDR tree?

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:02 am

Andreas wrote:That does not sound silly at all. How much would you all pay for a CDR copy of Steve's CDR?

All of you put together don't have enough money to pay me to listen to "My Sweet Lord".

Now FLO members are going to band together in order to buy a CD-R :twisted: from Steve Hoffman? :roll: Wow! I mean ... gosh! .... I mean ... :!: :!: :!:

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:44 am

When asked about ATMP once, didn't Steve say he destroyed all copies he had?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:54 am

It'll be interesting to see if any of these titles go for more than the "Steve's copy of the complete DCC catalog in a big white binder" that brought around $5500 or so on eBay a couple of years back.

I'm also twitching with anticipation to see how much someone's willing to pay for a copy of Wild Life.

If the money was going to a good charity, I'd consider pitching in for ATMP (if only to see if they'd let us have it). But I don't have any interest in funding Steve's promotional website.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:56 am

Aren't they claiming that Hoffman's Soft Parade went for $1800? So expect well over two, maybe three grand for this thing. I think anyone who spends $2000 or more for a 5-cent CD-R is nuttier than a fruitcake, particularly one that contains a lot of preachy lyrics warning against the evils of maya, but then I also think anyone who would spend even 10 cents on a CD-R that cost 5 cents is wacked.

MK

Postby MK » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:46 am

There's one way to answer any doubts of legality: call/e-mail George Harrison's estate, MPL Communications, Ray Manzarek's manager, Yoko Ono's people, James Taylor's manager, or Bob Seger's office and ask them if it's okay to sell CD-R test pressings. MPL has their own website with all contact info and the rest are easy to find in creative directories.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:08 am

Dear Sir McCartney,

Remember Steve Hoffman, the mastering engineer who did the "audiophile" editions of some of your back catalog for the (now defunct) California-based DCC label?

Well, now this individual is auctioning off a CD-R copy of one of your albums that you did not agree to release. He expects to receive at least $2000 for this "test pressing." He claims that all profits realized from this sale will be used to fund the website he runs in order to promote his career.

I am fairly certain that neither you nor MPL Communications has any problem with this pending transaction. After all, countless illicit editions of your musical work have circulated the globe for decades, and if an engineer to whom you once entrusted your tapes chooses to enrich himself in a shady manner, that's all right, isn't it?

P.S. - Please understand, Sir McCartney, that the man has a son badly in need of more birthday gifts, as well as a high-maintenance wife who happens to be a former model -- just like yours, except that she has two legs!
Last edited by Crummy Old Label Avatar on Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.