Kerry kicks ass: Where the hell was this guy in October?

Expect plenty of disagreement. Just keep it civil.
Rspaight

Kerry kicks ass: Where the hell was this guy in October?

Postby Rspaight » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:51 am

Just like with Gore, John Kerry grows balls once the election is over.

I *hate* the Democratic Party.

Kerry: Don't tell me what God wants
By Noelle Straub
Thursday, April 21, 2005 - Updated: 03:55 AM EST

WASHINGTON - Sen. John F. Kerry yesterday attacked Republicans for having an "orthodoxy of view'' and overly inserting religion into politics, accusing them of using God as a justification for appointing conservative judges.

"I am sick and tired of a bunch of people trying to tell me that God wants a bunch of conservative judges on the court and that's why we have to change the rules of the United States Senate,'' Kerry told a group of Bay State residents who traveled to Capitol Hill for U.S. Rep. Martin Meehan's annual legislative seminar.

The Bay State senator was referring to a possible GOP move to alter Senate rules that would prevent Democrats from filibustering President Bush's judicial nominees.

"I am sick and tired of (them saying) they somehow have a better understanding of Christianity, of the Judeo-Christian ethic, of values,'' Kerry added. "We're talking about values? You show me where in the New Testament Jesus ever talked about the value of having taxes and taking money from poor people to give to the rich people in this country.''

The Bay State senator added that the Christian values and Catholic church he grew up with "was a church of universality and understanding and true freedom of conscience'' and that there was never this kind of "imposition of values'' into politics.

Quoting the Biblical line that "faith without works is dead,'' Kerry cited budget cuts to schools, literacy programs and Medicaid as distorted values.
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Re: Kerry kicks ass: Where the hell was this guy in October?

Postby Patrick M » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:13 am

Rspaight wrote:Just like with Gore, John Kerry grows balls once the election is over.

Don't you think this has to do with them having nothing to lose after the election?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:34 am

Don't you think this has to do with them having nothing to lose after the election?

Of course it does. But it frustrates the hell out of me. If the Dems would stand up for the kind of thing Kerry's talking about, they could win elections. But they get so afraid to offend people that aren't going to vote for them anyway that their message gets fatally watered-down.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Gee Oh Are Tea

Postby Gee Oh Are Tea » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:03 pm

Rspaight wrote:

Of course it does. But it frustrates the hell out of me. If the Dems would stand up for the kind of thing Kerry's talking about, they could win elections. But they get so afraid to offend people that aren't going to vote for them anyway that their message gets fatally watered-down.

Ryan

This was so eerily apparent during each of the debates last fall. And I don't know if it was even more frustrating for non-Americans watching it and hoping that the American public would see through Bush. Kerry had ample opportunity to rip Bush without actually lying or distorting facts but as you have said, was afraid to be viewed as a non-patriot or anti-war or even worse ("on the side of the enemies").

Cliff

Dob

Postby Dob » Thu Apr 21, 2005 9:49 pm

Rspaight wrote:If the Dems would stand up for the kind of thing Kerry's talking about, they could win elections.

It also helps to be incredibly, ahem, *lucky* -- like Bush was with Florida and Ohio. But, IMO, what it all boils down to is that the GOP was more effective at mudslinging than the Dems.

What infuriates me most of all is that the whole process turns lies into truth and vice versa. In an atmosphere like that, why bother with articulating a message? It'll either get twisted inside out or it'll be drowned in a sea of disinformation and noise. Better to spend your energy slinging mud at your opponent -- or, better still, have someone else sling the mud for you while you stand back and "officially" disapprove.

I should stop before I start to sound really cynical.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken