I love modern digital AVR technology

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:51 am

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:The Sony you linked to is also very cool, though. I've actually been looking at that one as well.

We had an old single disc DVD player and a huge 50+1 CD player (which I've never liked), and both wouldn't fit in our new TV stand, so I figured a 5 disc changer would be best for both functions. Models without SACD really weren't much less, and I thought it would be nice to finally listen to Tommy in 5.1 (eventually), so... Pretty much the only thing it doesn't do is DVD-A.

And getting back to another discussion, this one plays DTS CDs just fine too. And, as this one actually has 5.1 analog outs (unlike our cheapo Cyberhome), I was finally able to hear Chicago II in quad.

It looks like the local Best Buy should have that Yamaha, although at $283.99 it's a bit more than some places online.

Then of course there's the issue of speakers...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:19 am

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:14 pm

Can anyone direct me to a receiver that has this:

a) two sets of mch in

b) one mch pre-out
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Apr 10, 2005 9:16 am

Ess Ay Cee Dee wrote:I picked up one of these. Very nice receiver.

After walking into Best Buy with that in mind, we ended up with this instead. See my latest blog entry for *that* experience.

Seems pretty nice so far - ran the auto setup (it comes with one of those little mics) on these crummy speakers, and things don't sound too bad (well, as good as they can sound without any real bass). The only "problem" I had was the digital out on the DVD player wasn't set correctly - it was only spitting out stereo (D-PCM).

Speakers are next up. I think perhaps the way to go might be some good freestanding speakers for FL and FR, while using these for the surround channels.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Apr 10, 2005 11:12 am

nt
Last edited by Ess Ay Cee Dee on Mon May 02, 2005 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:39 pm

Sorry, wasn't clear - I picked up the changer prior to posting the link. I like the remote, and I haven't had any problems.

The speaker setup feature was nice (assuming it actually works as advertised), and I think there was something about the inputs that swayed me. And it's 9+1. No matter that we only have 5+0 now...

One big problem with our room is the TV has to go in the corner. So it's facing out at 45 degrees, while the two couches are parallel with the back and side walls. It's a bit hard to get the "surround" speakers actually *in* the rear with any separation without mounting them from the ceiling. Don't get me started on the "rear surrounds".

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Apr 11, 2005 6:35 pm

I'm enjoying this discussion, but I thought I'd chime in with my own receiver story.

After many different kinds of amps, including tubes, separates, single ended (don't ask, I got off that train a long time ago), I settled on a 2 channel Onkyo 8501, 100W/channel. This thing kicks all kinds of booty. It's easily my favorite amp setup, it has the built-in phono stage, and does almost everything well. I'll never go back to searching for audio nirvana, because I can find it at the local Circuit City - who woulda thought?

I'd love to get into multi-channel, but space and domestic considerations preclude me from participating. It sounds as though there's some awesome products out there, from reading this thread.

I have the same problem with the TV going into the corner (at least I'm not attempting to optimize a 5.1 setup). There's a hearth and fireplace in the way. We could put it on the long wall if we really wanted to, but we'd probably have to punch another hole in the floor for the cable.

Yesman
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Re: I love modern digital AVR technology

Postby Yesman » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:09 pm

krabapple wrote:My Pioneer VSX-56txi av receiver arrived yesterday... Share my delight, dammit.

Well, you've beaten me once again. I only have the VSX-55txi.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:44 pm

Rob P wrote:There's a hearth and fireplace in the way.

Fireplace in the middle of one wall, sliding glass doors on another, window opposite the doors, and passway and door to the garage opposite the fireplace.

We could put it on the long wall if we really wanted to, but we'd probably have to punch another hole in the floor for the cable.

Lazy.

(I'm pretty used to putting in new wall plates for TV/phone/computer)

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:58 pm

I didn't consider putting in a wall plate for the cable outlet. This gets me thinking. I haven't done a brand new outlet and box before, only switched out old ones. Do you use a reciprocating saw to cut the hole for the outlet box in the drywall?

So the only clean wall is the one where the rear speakers are situated?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 11, 2005 8:25 pm

For the wall plates I generally make an outline, drill 4 holes, then use a small hand saw. Something like a Rotozip works great. A bit like that for your drill a bit less so.

Rob P wrote:So the only clean wall is the one where the rear speakers are situated?

Well, the problem is there really isn't a "back" - one couch has some room behind it (door to the garage), but the other is at a right angle, right on the wall under the window. Right now the surround speakers are essentially at the far ends of the two couches.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Tue Apr 12, 2005 8:59 am

I guess the idea is to have room behind the couch to set those rear speakers up, but I can't imagine that's practical in most surround sound setups. Most listener's rooms are too small. It would be a somewhat similar issue with our environment. Plus, not many people want to locate their couches away from the wall if they can help it. I could see doing it in a large, open basement, though.

Thanks for the excellent tip on the wall plates.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Apr 12, 2005 11:56 am

Just to be clear -- "surround' speakers can be placed anywher from the side of the listeners, to a bit behind them (something like 90 - 110 degrees off the line of sight to the center speaker); 'surround back' go in back of the listeners (never used them, myself). If your surrounds are to the side, you can diffuse the sound more by angling the speaker so it fires toward the area behind the listener (bouncing the sound off the rear wall).

IIRC for the TV-in-the-corner setup, FLoyd Toole showed some speaker/furniture setup options of that type in one of his Harman white papers. I believe it's the way one of his home systems is arranged.

<takes a look>

it's in this one, page 9.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

krabapple

Re: I love modern digital AVR technology

Postby krabapple » Tue Apr 12, 2005 12:04 pm

Yesman wrote:
krabapple wrote:My Pioneer VSX-56txi av receiver arrived yesterday... Share my delight, dammit.

Well, you've beaten me once again. I only have the VSX-55txi.

I would have expected you had a tube amp.

Do you at least use a Hallograph?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant