The "Deluxe" series....Which Ones Would You Like t

Just what the name says.
mikenycLI

The "Deluxe" series....Which Ones Would You Like t

Postby mikenycLI » Sun Jul 27, 2003 12:33 pm

Overall, the Universal reissue "Deluxe" imprint, has provided a glimmer of hope that the Music Companies, are providing the US market, with a great program.

I have, almost, all of them, I believe, and look forward to the latest batch that include Joe Jackson, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye, this week.

Please share your opinions about them !

AND...

Now that SONY LEGACY is getting in on the act, what artists, albums do you want to see "Deluxe-ed", by both labels ?????

CDJones

Postby CDJones » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:41 am

Well, I'll state the obvious, Sony *needs* to do something with the Springsteen catalog. That said, I think the labels should seriously consider releasing all future DE's in SACD hybrid format. I'm reluctant to buy CD reissues these days, because I know that some hi-rez reissue of the same title has just got to be lurking on the horizon.

Has anybody heard any rumors or details pertaining to the ABB Fillmore East DE? The only way I drop cash on that one again is if it's going to be SACD.

Steve

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Thu Jul 31, 2003 7:53 am

CDJones wrote:Well, I'll state the obvious, Sony *needs* to do something with the Springsteen catalog. That said, I think the labels should seriously consider releasing all future DE's in SACD hybrid format. I'm reluctant to buy CD reissues these days, because I know that some hi-rez reissue of the same title has just got to be lurking on the horizon.

Has anybody heard any rumors or details pertaining to the ABB Fillmore East DE? The only way I drop cash on that one again is if it's going to be SACD.

Steve

I understand, and this is probably why music sales are so slow.

Interesting irony the Music Companies started isn't it ?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:12 am

mikenycLI wrote:I understand, and this is probably why music sales are so slow.

Honestly, Mikey, I don't really think "I'm waiting for the SACD" amounts to much of the industry downturn. Most people don't even know what SACD is, much less care about it.

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:24 am

Ok, I grant that, but it's part of it.

At least the industry KNOWS SACD/DVD A is going to be a very hard, and costly sell, for them. Listening to them bitching and moaning about how much money they are ALREADY losing, it's sounds like they painted themselves into a corner, they will have to get out of, only by continuing on this road to sell it.

What's interesting, is that they are so lazy about marketing and selling to the hardcore music fans, like us, here. They could be making TONS of money, just like they used to..but somehow, they have forgotten how to.

This whole RIAA lawsuit thing, shows how out of touch AND desparate they are. And since they are only telling a little of the truth about how they are losing money, one could only imagine, in how much dire straits they are presently in.

Well, they made their bed, with all of this consolidating and making an EMPIRE out of their businesses, and they are stuck. I don't have ANY sympathy for them.

Grant

Postby Grant » Thu Jul 31, 2003 5:33 pm

Mikey,

Do you have any links to any press releases oabout Sony's new reissue program?

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Fri Aug 01, 2003 2:40 am

Grant wrote:Mikey,

Grant,

The only thing I have is a, generally, lame link to the Legacy site...which is USUALLY...a month, or three, behind what you already know....

http://www.legacyrecordings.com/

Your best bet is Message boards....I will get back to you here !

sheperdfan

Postby sheperdfan » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:01 pm

Hello Everybody,
I'm another ICE'r seeking refuge over here. Anyway, I have been enjoying the Deluxe Edition series from UME. In the case of Sony, there's so much to work with and yet there is so much to potentially frustrate us consumers as well.
Though I have discussed the subject of Springsteen being targeted for a Deluxe Edition series to his catalog (and the liklihood that it won't happen), I think there are some boundaries I'd like to see Sony/Legacy follow. This is purely based on my own preferences.
For those massive artists like Springsteen, the Sony ones should empahsize studio material as part of the bonus tracks for any given album. Live material should be devoted to a bootleg series. This is why I like, for the most part, the way Dylan's stuff has been set up. For the so-called smaller, second-tier artists (for lack of a better way of phrasing it and the fact that who may be big to me may not be to others), it would be fine for there to be live as well as studio material included.
My biggest fear on these Deluxe Editions is that we are going to end up having to buy those albums which have already been expanded just to get the extra tracks that the second disc is going to provide. I'm still going to wait to make sure if I have to keep both Sweetheart of the Rodeo CDs before I sell the expanded one from back in the '90s.
I believe we are going to get Deluxe Editions from a lot of obvious ones from which we've already bought the expanded editions including albums from Santana(the first 3), The Cash, etc. Though I'm not a fan of them except for a couple of songs, I think that the Infinity album from Journey seems like an obvious candidate.
I'd like to see some obscure ones get some notice. Here's one-Ron Wood's Gimme Some Neck. I know that there are loads of complaints concerning how this one was mixed, but it is an underrated album. Given that there were some big names making guest appearances on that album, there has to be some interesting jams which got taped. Though I would prefer the live stuff to be separate, I could see Sony/Legacy attempting to use some New Barbarians live material on it.
I could also see the first Eddie Money album getting the Deluxe treatment as well. I'm just trying to steer clear of the obvious big name ones because I'm seeing a big foreshadowing clue as gto how others are going to be based on Sweetheart of the Rodeo from The Byrds.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of a balance will be struck on these. What may be enough studio material for some, may not be for others.
Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you guys with this. It's just that I'm trying to think outside of the box tonight. God! I just hope the powers that be could actually convince Springsteen to allow it for his catalog. Or at the least, to do SACD hybrids of his catalog.
Take Care,
sheperdfan

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Sat Aug 02, 2003 10:08 pm

sheperdfan wrote:Hello Everybody,
I'm another ICE'r seeking refuge over here. Anyway, I have been enjoying the Deluxe Edition series from UME. In the case of Sony, there's so much to work with and yet there is so much to potentially frustrate us consumers as well.
Though I have discussed the subject of Springsteen being targeted for a Deluxe Edition series to his catalog (and the liklihood that it won't happen), I think there are some boundaries I'd like to see Sony/Legacy follow. This is purely based on my own preferences.
For those massive artists like Springsteen, the Sony ones should empahsize studio material as part of the bonus tracks for any given album. Live material should be devoted to a bootleg series. This is why I like, for the most part, the way Dylan's stuff has been set up. For the so-called smaller, second-tier artists (for lack of a better way of phrasing it and the fact that who may be big to me may not be to others), it would be fine for there to be live as well as studio material included.
My biggest fear on these Deluxe Editions is that we are going to end up having to buy those albums which have already been expanded just to get the extra tracks that the second disc is going to provide. I'm still going to wait to make sure if I have to keep both Sweetheart of the Rodeo CDs before I sell the expanded one from back in the '90s.
I believe we are going to get Deluxe Editions from a lot of obvious ones from which we've already bought the expanded editions including albums from Santana(the first 3), The Cash, etc. Though I'm not a fan of them except for a couple of songs, I think that the Infinity album from Journey seems like an obvious candidate.
I'd like to see some obscure ones get some notice. Here's one-Ron Wood's Gimme Some Neck. I know that there are loads of complaints concerning how this one was mixed, but it is an underrated album. Given that there were some big names making guest appearances on that album, there has to be some interesting jams which got taped. Though I would prefer the live stuff to be separate, I could see Sony/Legacy attempting to use some New Barbarians live material on it.
I could also see the first Eddie Money album getting the Deluxe treatment as well. I'm just trying to steer clear of the obvious big name ones because I'm seeing a big foreshadowing clue as gto how others are going to be based on Sweetheart of the Rodeo from The Byrds.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of a balance will be struck on these. What may be enough studio material for some, may not be for others.
Anyway, I hope I didn't bore you guys with this. It's just that I'm trying to think outside of the box tonight. God! I just hope the powers that be could actually convince Springsteen to allow it for his catalog. Or at the least, to do SACD hybrids of his catalog.
Take Care,
sheperdfan

I, also, would like to see some of the obvious choices, expanded, but this gives SONY the opportunity to, expand, upon those artists that have been neglected by remastering, BEYOND the usual method, like Eddie Money, Ron Wood, for example. They may be "clunky", but they are honest, and means to entertain...which the Obvious Artists, are just expected to, and too often, fall very short.

Here's to all of your Hoping, sheperdfan !

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:00 pm

Just saw in this month's ICE that Melissa Etheridge's 1988 debut album is getting the Uni Deluxe treatment, tentatively in September, with the live Roxy stuff on disc two.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Aug 08, 2003 10:11 pm

I always thought New Miserable Experience was an odd (yet nice) choice for such a series.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Wed Aug 13, 2003 12:44 pm

Grant wrote:Mikey,

Sorry about the delay, Grant !

Here's the news, I think you were looking for....

Sweethearts of the Rodeo" Deluxe
Tracklisting of "Sweethearts of the Rodeo" Deluxe issue, NOW postponed to "2004", courtesy of a Byrds fansite...

DISC 1:

1. You Ain't Goin' Nowhere

2. I Am A Pilgrim

3. Christian Life, The

4. You Don't Miss Your Water

5. You're Still On My Mind

6. Pretty Boy Floyd

7. Hickory Wind

8. One Hundred Years From Now

9. Blue Canadian Rockies

10. Life In Prison

11. Nothing Was Delivered

12. All I Have Are Memories - (previously unreleased, Kevin Kelley vocal)

13. Reputation

14. Pretty Polly

15. Lazy Days

16. Christian Life, The - (Gram Parsons vocal)

17. You Don't Miss Your Water - (Gram Parsons)

18. One Hundred Years From Now - (Gram Parsons vocal)

19. Radio Spot

DISC 2:

1. Sum Up Broke - The International Submarine Band

2. One Day Week - The International Submarine Band

3. Truck Drivin' Man - The International Submarine Band

4. Blue Eyes - The International Submarine Band

5. Luxury Liner - The International Submarine Band

6. Strong Boy - The International Submarine Band

7. Lazy Days - (previously unreleased, alternate take)

8. Pretty Polly - (previously unreleased, alternate take)

9. Christian Life, The - (previously unreleased, Gram Parsons vocal)

10. Life In Prison - (previously unreleased, Gram Parsons vocal)

11. One Hundred Years From Now - (previously unreleased, Gram Parsons vocal)

12. One Hundred Years From Now - (previously unreleased, alternate take, Gram Parsons vocal)

13. You're Still On My Mind - (Gram Parsons vocal)

14. All I Have Are Memories - (previously unreleased, instrumental)

15. All I Have Are Memories - (previously unreleased, alternate take, instrumental)

16. Blue Canadian Rockies - (previously unreleased, alternate take)

http://users.skynet.be/byrdsflyght/news2.htm