Dan Lavry on cables

From Edison cylinders to pre-amps to ProTools: talk about it here.
thomh

Dan Lavry on cables

Postby thomh » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:33 pm

Thom

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:34 pm

The cable issue is still the biggest stink pile in the Audiophile world. I don't know the science, but I do believe that manufacturers of CD players would not supply a free interconnect with their product if they thought it would make their product sound bad.

thomh

Postby thomh » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:29 pm

Just a reminder to still keep an eye on this ongoing thread.

Lots of great information and amusement. For example:

Dan Lavry wrote:The cable marketing contest:

Rules:

Participants must combine at least 15 of the words or phrases below (in any order) to come up with an effective paragraph(s) for selling speaker cable.

1. high frequency transients
2. crystalline structure
3. Warm lows
4. 1.60773299432111
5. capacitance
6. inductance
7. skin effect
8. temperature compensated
9. jitter
10. 50 bits
11. pyramid
12. directionality
13. dual
14. superior performance
15. better than
16. fast response
17. discovery
18. normalized
19. impulse
20. tiniest
21. largest
22. bigger
23. agree
24. state of the art
25. innovation
26. equal delay
27. non digital
28. very analog
29. extremely analog
30. barometric stabilization
Thom

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:32 pm

I must be having particularly florid delusions of grandeur recently -- I've posted on that thread twice.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:36 pm

Gooshy! Midrangey!...... Splat! Ka-pow! Ba-gwang-a-boo!

I want to market cables as being "NEO-AXISYMMETRIC" and capable of producing "ASYMPTOTIC BASS CLOUDS"..... Of course, it goes without saying that my cables are "ANALOG READY!" (which is why they are so darn expensive).
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:30 pm

thomh is currently exposing Lee Scoggins as a fool over on Lavry's cable thread, by asking Bob Katz himself for verification of some of Scoggins' nonsense.

Well done, centurion !

:)

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... #msg_53380

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:48 pm

oh my sweet jesus christ -- I hadn't seen the SHtv thread thomh links to in his PSWeb posts.

It's a poll asking whether you haev heard directionality in cables. First SH tells a story of a single-blind test he conducted on some golden ear back in the early 90's. (Assuming Hoffman's recounting of the tale is accurate, how many readers here can spot the flaw in his 'experiment'?) Then the SHtites chime in. Here's an example from it:

I have to admit, I never tried it . I'm not even sure mine are hooked up right. I think my interconnects are all bi-directional (don't think there are little arrows), but I can't be entirely sure.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showt ... hp?t=45050

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:04 pm

So LeeS has been exposed as a bullshit liar by none other than Bob Katz himself. Haha! That's too funny.

Here's a knee-slapper:

SHiteoptic wrote:In a thread about speaker phasing a few months ago Steve H mentionned that the speaker wire is directional also. Luckily, when I checked mine, all 4 speakers had the wires in the proper direction. It would have taken a while to reroute my speaker wires to correct this!

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showp ... stcount=48

Dob

Postby Dob » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:46 pm

My speaker wires are all in the proper direction...but what about the wires inside my speaker cabinet (from terminals to crossover, and to the speakers themselves)? How do I check? Do I have to open up the cabinets? If I do, will that void my warranty? I wish someone whose ears I trust would come over and listen to my setup...but what do I do if he tells me the wires need to be reversed?

It really sucks to have ears not good enough to be aware of these problems, but good enough to appreciate the improvement once the adjustment has been made.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Mar 24, 2005 8:54 pm

Dob wrote:My speaker wires are all in the proper direction...but what about the wires inside my speaker cabinet (from terminals to crossover, and to the speakers themselves)? How do I check? Do I have to open up the cabinets? If I do, will that void my warranty? I wish someone whose ears I trust would come over and listen to my setup...but what do I do if he tells me the wires need to be reversed?

It really sucks to have ears not good enough to be aware of these problems, but good enough to appreciate the improvement once the adjustment has been made.

Let's all pray that Grover soon moves into speaker manufacturing.