Simpsons Season 5

DVD/TV/movies/etc
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Simpsons Season 5

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 16, 2005 11:50 am

This is probably the best produced box so far. The menus are very simple and straightforward, the transfer seems to be very good, and there are actually a LOT of deleted scenes. I'd have to go back to the earlier discs to check, but I noticed the voices on the commentary tracks are spread out from left to right on this set - nice when listening with headphones.

The deleted scenes can be watched within the episode they come from, or all together on disc 4. The branching from within the episode isn't quite seamless, though - a scissors icon shows up on the screen when it's time for a deleted scene, and you have to press enter to make it branch. At least on my laptop the branching didn't quite happen at the right spot when I tried it.

Another interesting note on the deleted scenes - most (all?) don't have any type of post production (sound effects, music, etc). As such, they don't quite seem finished. Note that a few in the 138th Episode Spectacular (like the Richard Simmons sequence) aren't here, and those that are don't have post production (I'm pretty sure they did in that episode).
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Sound

Postby Sound » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:44 pm

2 questions:
Does Harry have any good lines?
How are the outtakes?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:51 pm

I haven't watched the outtakes without commentary yet, so I really haven't been able to digest the jokes yet.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Patrick M

Re: Simpsons Season 5

Postby Patrick M » Sun Jan 16, 2005 2:59 pm

lukpac wrote:This is probably the best produced box so far.

Agreed.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:22 pm

Re. the post-production: that's how deleted scenes show up in a lot of the Futurama episodes, as well.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:46 pm

Slightly off topic: I'd like to start picking up these sets. Do these contain the broadcast or syndicated versions of the shows?
Craig

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:49 pm

Yes.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:41 pm

Beatlesfan03 wrote:Slightly off topic: I'd like to start picking up these sets. Do these contain the broadcast or syndicated versions of the shows?

If you mean "are they cut?", the answer is no. Lots of jokes here and there missing for years.

We'll see what they do with Homer's Oscar in Team Homer when season 7 comes out.

BTW, while I think these are the best DVDs so far, I think my favorite *episodes* are still in seasons 2-4. But that's just me.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Sun Jan 16, 2005 6:47 pm

lukpac wrote:
Beatlesfan03 wrote:Slightly off topic: I'd like to start picking up these sets. Do these contain the broadcast or syndicated versions of the shows?

If you mean "are they cut?", the answer is no. Lots of jokes here and there missing for years.

We'll see what they do with Homer's Oscar in Team Homer when season 7 comes out.

BTW, while I think these are the best DVDs so far, I think my favorite *episodes* are still in seasons 2-4. But that's just me.

That's good to hear. Thanks.
Craig

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:10 pm

Simpsons fans: please tell me which season/episodes have these three scenes (they might be the same episode)

1) veterinarian emergency room, doing heart-shock on a hamster. When it fails the doc throws the hamster in a garbage pail (IIRC there's a basketball hoop on over the pail)

2) an incredulous Homer taunting Lisa at the dinner table when she informs him that bacon, ham, and bologna all come from the same animal

3) Lisa refusing to eat meat at the Simpson dinner table, imagining the meail turning into poor little lambs, doe-eyed cows, etc. Except, for a hot dog she imagines an old boot and bird beaks and racoon tails

just typing these made me crack up btw.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:21 pm

krabapple wrote:Simpsons fans: please tell me which season/episodes have these three scenes (they might be the same episode)

1) veterinarian emergency room, doing heart-shock on a hamster. When it fails the doc throws the hamster in a garbage pail (IIRC there's a basketball hoop on over the pail)

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/8F17.html

2) an incredulous Homer taunting Lisa at the dinner table when she informs him that bacon, ham, and bologna all come from the same animal

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F03.html

3) Lisa refusing to eat meat at the Simpson dinner table, imagining the meail turning into poor little lambs, doe-eyed cows, etc. Except, for a hot dog she imagines an old boot and bird beaks and racoon tails

just typing these made me crack up btw.

http://www.snpp.com/episodes/3F03.html

That was too easy.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:22 pm

And you got half the stuff wrong, but I'll let Patrick correct you.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:15 pm

I don't feel like correcting anyone right now.

One great thing about the Simpsons is that everyone I know seems to have a different favorite character. Mine is usually Hans Moleman. He doesn't get many lines, but every one is a gem.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:16 pm

Just one: Hibbert is not a vet.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:17 pm

er..it wasn't a test, Luke -- I want to *watch* those episodes, and I didn't know which ones they were.
So, thanks. And I hope you'll forgive me if I imagine your last post read in the voice of the Comic Store Guy. :P
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant