Frank Lloyd Wright

DVD/TV/movies/etc
balthazar

Frank Lloyd Wright

Postby balthazar » Wed Apr 09, 2003 11:37 am

I picked up a Frank Lloyd Wright coffee table book at Barnes & Noble last weekend. Man, I wish this guy was still alive!

I've been into Art Nouveau and Arts and Crafts movement designs for a while now. Wright's Prairie School designs seem to add a spectacular flavor to these. It's almost like he's taken the clean but hard simple lines of Arts and Crafts and softened them with the nature influence in Art Nouveau.

I wish I had a house so I could try some design ideas!

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:54 pm

CBS Sunday Morning did a piece on Wright and his works some years ago. Fascinating viewing, he was a complex fellow, to be sure. His designs are remarkable in their imagination and scope. The handful of examples from this piece indicate Wright didn't care for functionality(though he did take that into account)so much as the sheer breathtaking notion that homes should be as individual and unique as the people living in them. I remember, as a kid, laughing at Simon & Garfunkel's "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" and wondering why Simon would release--let alone write--a song about an architect, obviously not your usual song subject. Yet I came to appreciate his point: Wright was as creative in his own way as the Beatles(or Simon himself at his best--maybe that's how he identified with him).

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:22 pm

Now, if he only could have designed roofs that didn't leak...

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Apr 14, 2003 7:42 pm

Ed Bishop wrote:I remember, as a kid, laughing at Simon & Garfunkel's "So Long, Frank Lloyd Wright" and wondering why Simon would release--let alone write--a song about an architect, obviously not your usual song subject. Yet I came to appreciate his point: Wright was as creative in his own way as the Beatles(or Simon himself at his best--maybe that's how he identified with him).

The "Frank Lloyd Wright" of that song is actually Art, a former architecture student. The subject matter concerns the breakup that Simon could see coming. In the fadeout, Paul actually says, "So long already, Artie." Just look at the lyrics from Paul's perspective instead of the singer's:

"all of the nights we'd harmonize till dawn"