Mr. Yuck

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Mr. Yuck

Postby lukpac » Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:07 pm

[continued from Recordable DVD Players]

Rspaight wrote:Mr. Green looks sorta like a happy Mr. Yuck.

Ahh, Mr. Yuck. What ever happened to him?
Last edited by lukpac on Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ron

Postby Ron » Wed Jun 25, 2003 4:12 pm

See. There you guys go again--making references to things that I'm unfamiliar with. THERE IS A GENERATION GAP HERE AT FLO [the web site, not the TV character with the saucy disposition].
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:02 am

Mr. Yuck was the creation of some group trying to keep kids from drinking Drano and other lethal household products. He was a round green sticker making a "yuck" face. You could get free sheets of these stickers at your pediatrician. The idea was that if you stuck these things on all the stuff in your house that could hurt your kid if he ate it, your kid would know not to eat it because he had seen the TV commercial that ran during cartoons, which featured the haunting Mr. Yuck theme song:

Mr. Yuck is meeeeeeean...
Mr. Yuck is greeeeeeen...

This is the only decent online image of him I could find, in a *very* odd context:

http://www.sccs.swarthmore.edu/users/02 ... all17.html

(As far as what happened to him, I'm guessing constant exposure to toxic substances finally did him in, and he puked his little green guts out.)

Of course, these days parents just put locks on all the cabinets, so Mr. Yuck is sort of redundant. If this were sh.tv, a long argument would now break out about whether the "good old days" were better or not.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Thu Jun 26, 2003 9:05 am

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

A sticker to tell people NOT to drink Drano.

Didn't need it, in my day ! Everyone could figure out, not to drink it.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 26, 2003 10:29 am

Er, Mikey, the stickers were for little kids who didn't know what the hell "Drano" was.

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Thu Jun 26, 2003 2:45 pm

Oh.

Ron

Postby Ron » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:27 pm

What's Drano?
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

Ron

Postby Ron » Thu Jun 26, 2003 5:39 pm

Rspaight wrote:Mr. Yuck is meeeeeeean...
Mr. Yuck is greeeeeeen...

I'm surprised that the Mr. Yuck thing never took off as a response/retaliation to the prolific Mr. Happy Face. Plus Mr. Y. looks pretty cool.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Jun 26, 2003 6:58 pm

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Thu Jun 26, 2003 7:17 pm

This is the first, I've ever heard about it.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Fri Jun 27, 2003 8:21 am

Here's another link, though this image doesn't have the all-important poison control center phone number around the outside:

http://www.ispygraphics.com/mryuck.html

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Grant

Postby Grant » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:24 pm

mikenycLI wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't know what happened. In our day, a little kid just knew better. Kids are stupid today. Emergency rooms are filled with idiots who use Sunlight dishwashing liquid as lemonade flavoring. People today don't read, they don't listen, and their comprehension skills are non-existient.

What the hell is wrong with people?

Hey, sorry for the rant! Hey, yeah, this is the Luke forum...what the FUCK is wrong with people? :lol:

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:35 pm

Grant wrote:
mikenycLI wrote:Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

I don't know what happened. In our day, a little kid just knew better. Kids are stupid today. Emergency rooms are filled with idiots who use Sunlight dishwashing liquid as lemonade flavoring. People today don't read, they don't listen, and their comprehension skills are non-existient.

Hey, sorry for the rant! Hey, yeah, this is the Luke forum...what the FUCK is wrong with people? :lol:

Grant,

I guess everyone figures, SOMEONE or SOMETHING else, will do their thinking for them. That's why "thinking for one's self", is so out of fashion.
Why should they ?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:21 pm

Grant wrote:I don't know what happened. In our day, a little kid just knew better. Kids are stupid today.

Grant, I don't care what day you're thinking of, but small children don't know the difference. A 2 year old in 1960 was just as "stupid" as a 2 year old in 2003. "This will rot your insides" means nothing to a little kid.

Emergency rooms are filled with idiots who use Sunlight dishwashing liquid as lemonade flavoring. People today don't read, they don't listen, and their comprehension skills are non-existient.

Children that young simply don't have such skills, period. You think a 2 year old is going to read a warning label?

What's wrong with being 2 years old?

I don't think some of you get it. Little kids don't know what's bad for them - why would they? They have to be taught. Things like Mr. Yuck stickers help them learn. "If you see this sticker, don't touch." Pretty simple.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Aug 04, 2003 3:26 pm

mikenycLI wrote:I guess everyone figures, SOMEONE or SOMETHING else, will do their thinking for them. That's why "thinking for one's self", is so out of fashion.
Why should they ?

How is putting a sticker on poisons to keep kids from drinking them "doing their thinking for them"? The whole point is it's making them think.

I suppose child proof caps also do children's thinking for them?

As far as thinking for yourself being out of fashion, I really don't know what you mean. That's one of the big things they teach you in school - be yourself, don't just follow what everybody else does.