What the fuck happened to Stereo Central?

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
My Avatar Is A Hot Babe

What the fuck happened to Stereo Central?

Postby My Avatar Is A Hot Babe » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:46 pm

What's the deal?
Every month is "Teabag a Gort" month!

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:59 pm

I had Homeland Security shut it down.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jun 22, 2006 3:22 pm

The admins were so distraught by Paul and Heather breaking up that they couldn't go on.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Jeff

Postby Jeff » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:37 pm

I kinda like the new "cPanel" look. It's easier on the eyes than the candy-striped monstrosity created by Mr. LaFontaine.

MAIAHB: if you think you're seeing that page in error, please contact the Site Administrator.

Thank you. :evil:

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:09 am

I assume it was a mercy killing..or maybe a suicide, with life as an orphan being too much to bear.

And enough already with the fucking 'new subscriber' emails.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:41 am

I blame it on the ten or so new administrators. They were given free run of the place and in the month or so since then have managed to come up with two posts between them.

One of them also managed to delete over 1000 archived posts, so maybe that counts as an achievement as well.

This evening I dared to take a look at SC for the first time in weeks: tumbleweeds are tumbling through the ruins. Much like this place.

Kind of sad, really.

I momentarily thought about taking back SC and attempting to rebuild, but what's the point?

So the wheel has come full circle. Or will -- just as soon as Luke takes the padlock off of the Snakepit.

He'll never have the balls to do that, though. That would pre-empt his ever-increasing post count at SHtv, which currently stands at 5183. [Take a bow, Luke! They always banned me before I could get my count(s) to 48!]

Now, do the math: Luke only has to write 31,720 more posts to catch up to Grant. Wow. That'll fill a lotta threads about Who's Next run off grooves and Japanese 461 Ocean Boulevard flat transfers and multi-channel She's the Boss remasters that don't exist yet but probably will in the future. Somebody trustworthy's gotta check the bass and hiss levels on these things and report back to his fellow forum members. And if not Luke, who? Captain Groovy? Ed Bishop? That Tommy Bolin-worshipping Canuck junky pharmacist??? Don't make me laugh!

Fortunately for all and sundry, Grant's an old man and will undoubtedly die decades before Luke will. Luke is young and virile; he's only 17 and already knows more about dad's record collection than 50 dads do! Don't believe me? Go ask YOUR dad the name of the Duch cutting engineer of the original Holland pressing of Who Came First. Dad has had that very record since 1973 and he doesn't even know. But young Luke does! He probably will even write a web-based FAQ all about it. Or for all I know already has. (I can't keep up with the youth.)

See, by the time Grant is a forgotten/begotten box o' bones, Luke will be merrily stomping on Grant's Tomb with post counts in the six digit stratosphere!

I just hope that Steve will still be alive to see it.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:38 am

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:Or will -- just as soon as Luke takes the padlock off of the Snakepit.

No. Go away.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:15 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:I blame it on the ten or so new administrators. They were given free run of the place and in the month or so since then have managed to come up with two posts between them.

One of them also managed to delete over 1000 archived posts, so maybe that counts as an achievement as well.

This evening I dared to take a look at SC for the first time in weeks: tumbleweeds are tumbling through the ruins. Much like this place.

No, sorry, not much like this place. I've been visiting both daily, for a long time now, and this place has been far more active than the other place, since the other place went all 'free range'. Stereocentral barely has a pulse.

Kind of sad, really.

Maybe people who *want* to be administrators start web boards...and the rest really *don't want to be administrators*.

I momentarily thought about taking back SC and attempting to rebuild, but what's the point?

What was the point of giving it away?

Really, couldn't you, or someone , at least have explained wtf was going on? And you wonder why no one else gives much of a shit about rebuilding it.

So the wheel has come full circle. Or will -- just as soon as Luke takes the padlock off of the Snakepit.

He'll never have the balls to do that, though. That would pre-empt his ever-increasing post count at SHtv, which currently stands at 5183. [Take a bow, Luke! They always banned me before I could get my count(s) to 48!]

Now, do the math: Luke only has to write 31,720 more posts to catch up to Grant. Wow. That'll fill a lotta threads about Who's Next run off grooves and Japanese 461 Ocean Boulevard flat transfers and multi-channel She's the Boss remasters that don't exist yet but probably will in the future. Somebody trustworthy's gotta check the bass and hiss levels on these things and report back to his fellow forum members. And if not Luke, who? Captain Groovy? Ed Bishop? That Tommy Bolin-worshipping Canuck junky pharmacist??? Don't make me laugh!

Fortunately for all and sundry, Grant's an old man and will undoubtedly die decades before Luke will. Luke is young and virile; he's only 17 and already knows more about dad's record collection than 50 dads do! Don't believe me? Go ask YOUR dad the name of the Duch cutting engineer of the original Holland pressing of Who Came First. Dad has had that very record since 1973 and he doesn't even know. But young Luke does! He probably will even write a web-based FAQ all about it. Or for all I know already has. (I can't keep up with the youth.)

See, by the time Grant is a forgotten/begotten box o' bones, Luke will be merrily stomping on Grant's Tomb with post counts in the six digit stratosphere!

I just hope that Steve will still be alive to see it.

So let's see...stereocentral was launched *because* the Snakepit was closed down...and then it was apparently 'given away' by its founder... and here he is again bitching that the Snakepit is closed down.

I hope it's all keeping the viewing audience entertained.

:roll:
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

MK

Postby MK » Thu Jun 29, 2006 1:30 pm

"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:06 pm

krabapple wrote:So let's see...stereocentral was launched *because* the Snakepit was closed down...and then it was apparently 'given away' by its founder... and here he is again bitching that the Snakepit is closed down.

Krab, if that is what you concluded from my post, then I fear that your irony meter is about as broken as MK's fuck-off meter is "witty."

What was the point of giving it away?

Really, couldn't you, or someone , at least have explained wtf was going on?

It was explained. The point was that several SC regulars expressed a desire for a change/shake up, so they were given full access to do as they desired. They just might yet.

And you wonder why no one else gives much of a shit about rebuilding it.

Did I state that? Most definitely not. Actually, that's one thing I don't wonder about. The interest obviously does not seem to be there at the moment, so what is there for me, you or anyone else to contemplate?

lukpac wrote:No. Go away.

Gee, if this is going to be the extent/measure of sharp retorts, then perhaps there still exists a pressing need for SC, after all.

Rest easy, Luke. I assure you that my Snakepit inquiry was thoroughly ironic. We all witnessed how nervously you reacted the last time you vicariously stuck your neck out by hosting the Snakepit. Don't worry, baby; nobody is going to facilitate you having to beat such a hasty retreat ever again.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:39 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:Rest easy, Luke. I assure you that my Snakepit inquiry was thoroughly ironic. We all witnessed how nervously you reacted the last time you vicariously stuck your neck out by hosting the Snakepit. Don't worry, baby; nobody is going to facilitate you having to beat such a hasty retreat ever again.

Considering the "retreat" of the Snakepit was initiated not by the threat of lawsuit, but rather simply being sick of the crap being posted there, I'm not too concerned.

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:10 pm

Didn't the Snakepit lead to any reference or link to your forum being banned at SHtv? I seem to remember that any post at SHtv that dared to mention lukpac.org was immediately deleted.

As for "lawsuits," how does that even apply to the topic at hand? But let me get this straight. You're saying that you would back down if Hoffman tilted at that particular windmill and threatened you? If you're really that intimidated about the possible threat of a lawsuit due to your exercising of your free speech rights, I'm quite frankly astounded.

Gee Oh Are Tea

Postby Gee Oh Are Tea » Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:40 pm

Wow, you lay low in this world and you miss a lot.

Personally, other than dealing with two kids three and under, I'm working on my doctoral thesis on how the following three topics are connected:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Enoch_Powell

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Clapton

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_wisconsin

I'm still stumped.

:D :D :) :)

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:00 pm

Hey, Gee Oh Are Tea!

Please be sure to include a chapter on Clapton's current right wing passion, the Countryside Alliance, in your thesis. Thanks.

http://www.red-star-research.org.uk/rap/rapframe.html

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:28 pm

Crummy Old Label Avatar wrote:Didn't the Snakepit lead to any reference or link to your forum being banned at SHtv? I seem to remember that any post at SHtv that dared to mention lukpac.org was immediately deleted.

Yep.

As for "lawsuits," how does that even apply to the topic at hand? But let me get this straight. You're saying that you would back down if Hoffman tilted at that particular windmill and threatened you? If you're really that intimidated about the possible threat of a lawsuit due to your exercising of your free speech rights, I'm quite frankly astounded.

The point is I'm not intimidated. Read into that how you will.