Is there a lawyer in the da house?

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Beatlesfan03

Is there a lawyer in the da house?

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:01 pm

Though the subject maybe misleading, I do actually have a serious question.

Here's the gist of the situation, if anyone wants to know more or might be able to point me in a direction for assistance, we can talk via PM.

We put our house on the market in Cleveland shortly after I accepted my new job here in Florida. We entered into an agreement with the realtor stating the conditions and all that over legal mumbo jumbo. The contract was for 90 days.

The contract expired last Saturday and we were unable to get in contact with her. Needless to say, we finally did manage some contact yesterday and I have been living an absolute nightmare. In a nutshell, she did absolutely nothing for 90 days and has the audacity to send us a letter admitting that she did nothing for 90 days.

What aggravates me even more is that our former neighbors told us there were two people very interested in the property and asked them for more info on the property since they were unable to get in contact with the realtor (and what aggravates me more on top of that was our former neighbors not relaying this information to us at the time). The market is so soft right now that the realtor should have explored any lead.

So according to our papers, she and her agency basically did not abide by the agreement signed. Here's the catch though, there was no money paid to her prior to the listing, all fees would have been paid at the conclusion of the sale.

I've heard mixed things on my end, one person telling me that I do have grounds for a suit due to the breach in contract and another telling me that all I can do is just chalk it up to a bad experience and move on.

Any help or direction anyone can provide is appreciated. I'm just trying to figure out what the best plan of action is right now.
Craig

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:00 pm

Yuo could write Robert Bruss, who does an excellent syndicated mailbag column answering such real estate questions. He may simply advise you to seek the opinion of a lawyer, though. Consultation could be free.

http://www.inman.com/bruss/questions.html
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant