Forums - Drama, Harrassing, Banning, Deleting Threads...

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Andreas

Forums - Drama, Harrassing, Banning, Deleting Threads...

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:56 am

An internet forum that I visited daily, just blew up. Dozens of threads of accusations, stories of sexual harrassment via pms, bans, thread deletion, senseless fights, people announcing their departure...it was really sickening. No, I am not talking about any sh.tv related issue.

Is any internet forum that exceeds a certain critical mass (I am postulating 300 active posters as the border) about to implode sooner or later? Is heavy moderation the only solution for big forums?

krabapple

Re: Forums - Drama, Harrassing, Banning, Deleting Threads...

Postby krabapple » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:10 pm

Andreas wrote:An internet forum that I visited daily, just blew up. Dozens of threads of accusations, stories of sexual harrassment via pms, bans, thread deletion, senseless fights, people announcing their departure...it was really sickening. No, I am not talking about any sh.tv related issue.

Is any internet forum that exceeds a certain critical mass (I am postulating 300 active posters as the border) about to implode sooner or later? Is heavy moderation the only solution for big forums?

I dunno, but I want to know what that exploding forum was.

I've seen forums get very ugly with far less than 300 active participants.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Andreas

Postby Andreas » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:48 pm

www.smileysmile.net/board

It looks quite civilized now, but there are still traces of the implosion. You have to be a member to see all forums. Some of the issues are still discussed at www.thesmileshop.net.
Last edited by Andreas on Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:58 pm

What happened?

Ehh. Maybe you can look to Usenet for some examples that both support and dispel your theory.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:55 pm

Hitler liked message boards. That makes you all Nazis.

Or something.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD