Teacher accused of having sex with student wants a trial

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:12 pm

http://www.crimelibrary.com/news/ap/07052/1905_teacher_sex_was_insane.html

TAMPA (AP) — A middle-school reading teacher whose sexual liaisons with a 14-year-old student made tabloid headlines broke off plea negotiations with prosecutors and will claim insanity at a December trial, her attorney said today.

Debra Lafave, 24, was under such emotional stress that she didn't know right from wrong when she had sex with a 14-year-old student numerous times in June 2004, attorney John Fitzgibbons said after a brief court hearing. A Dec. 5 trial date was set.

Fitzgibbons said plea bargaining broke down because prosecutors wanted too much prison time for Lafave, who appeared in court today but did not speak.

"To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions," said Fitzgibbons, who wouldn't talk about details of the negotiations. "I'm not sure she would survive." He said he had hoped to settle the case with a plea agreement, "not only for Debbie's sake but for the young man's sake."

A state attorney's office spokeswoman didn't immediately return a call seeking comment.

Judge Wayne Timmerman agreed to appoint two mental health professionals to evaluate Lafave, who Fitzgibbons said would claim she is not guilty by reason of insanity.

"What teacher in her right mind would do something like this?" Fitzgibbons said.

She is charged with four felony counts of lewd and lascivious battery and one count of lewd and lascivious exhibition. Each carries a maximum 15-year prison term.

Prosecutors have said that a state psychologist already determined Lafave was not insane at the time, while one hired by the defense concluded that she was mentally ill.

The teen told investigators that he and Lafave, a newlywed at the time, got to know each other on their way back from a class trip to SeaWorld Orlando in May 2004.

He said she invited him to her class during detention and ended up taking him to his basketball practices at a recreation center, to get his hair cut and to his house, court records said. The sexual relationship allegedly began on June 3, 2004.

The boy told investigators the two had sex in a classroom at Greco Middle School in Temple Terrace near Tampa, her Riverview town house and once in a vehicle while his 15-year-old cousin drove them around Marion County. He said Lafave told him that her marriage was in trouble and that she was aroused by the fact that having sex with him was not allowed.
-Matt

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:57 pm

I wonder how that would play out if the genders were reversed...

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jul 28, 2005 3:19 pm

There's a Playboy spread in this silly cow's future, mark my words.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Dob

Re: Teacher accused of having sex with student wants a trial

Postby Dob » Thu Jul 28, 2005 6:39 pm

Debra Lafave, 24, was under such emotional stress that she didn't know right from wrong when she had sex with a 14-year-old student numerous times in June 2004...

He said Lafave told him...that she was aroused by the fact that having sex with him was not allowed.

Sounds to me like she had a firm enough grasp of right and wrong.
Fitzgibbons said plea bargaining broke down because prosecutors wanted too much prison time for Lafave..."To place an attractive young woman in that kind of hell hole is like putting a piece of raw meat in with the lions," said Fitzgibbons..."I'm not sure she would survive."

Apparently he doesn't want *any* prison time for Lafave.

His line of reasoning seems to be that if she was old and unattractive, prison time would be more appropriate.
"What teacher in her right mind would do something like this?" Fitzgibbons said.

Right...any time a female teacher has sex with a minor male student, it's *always* due to temporary insanity.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken