Miller Emerges as New Voice for Bush Re-Election

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:22 am

Bush getting a Republican's idea of "hip" and "a new voice". EEEgod !

To think we may have to endure Miller's "humor", until after the election ? For Miller, it all depends on who's picking up the check.

PS...this post doesn't rate inclusion in the Politics forum here. Because, to me, it doesn't have ANYTHING to do with politics. When you see Bush do the double "V" finger sign as he boards Air Force One, you will understand.

Courtesy of yahoo.com....

Sat Jun 28, 3:10 PM ET Add Politics to My Yahoo!

CRAWFORD, Texas (Reuters) - A new voice has emerged in the re-election campaign of President Bush (news - web sites), that of Dennis Miller, who is gaining a reputation as a conservative comic by attacking Democrats with biting humor.

Reuters Photo

Miller flew on Air Force One from San Francisco to Los Angeles with the president on Friday, and later gave a stand-up routine at a Bush fund-raiser in Los Angeles.

"I spent an amazing couple of hours with Dennis Miller," Bush said during his Los Angeles speech after Miller's routine. "He keeps you on your toes."

He added: "I was also honored to meet his wife, Carolyn. Like me, he married above himself. It may not be all that hard, in his case. But I'm proud to have his help."

Miller, who was an analyst on ABC's "Monday Night Football, had an HBO comedy show and does commentary for Fox News, adds a celebrity touch to Bush's re-election campaign, much like actor Bruce Willis did in 1992 when Bush's father ran for re-election.

Bush remained offstage until after Miller's often caustic comic performance during the fund-raiser that drew in $3.5 million, most of it in $2,000 checks from 1,600 people.

For instance, he took aim at West Virginia Sen. Robert Byrd, a Democratic elder statesmen who has questioned the Iraq (news - web sites) war and its chaotic aftermath.

Even some in the crowd of Republican loyalists booed when Miller said of Byrd: "I think he must be burning the cross at both ends."

Responding to the boos, Miller said: "Well, he was in the (Ku Klux) Klan. Boo me, but he was in the Klan."

He likened the nine Democratic presidential candidates running to unseat Bush in 2004 to the 1962 New York Mets, perennial losers, and called them an "empty-headed scrum."

He had a special barb for one candidate, former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean, who has questioned the Iraq war, comparing him to Neville Chamberlain, the British prime minister who followed a policy of appeasement of Nazi Germany in the years before World War II.

"He can roll up his sleeves all he wants at public events, but as long as we see that heart tattoo with Neville Chamberlain's name on his right forearms, he's never going anywhere," Miller said.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=s ... iller_dc_1

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:07 pm

RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:00 pm

Verrrrrrrrry good, Ryan !

What fascinates me, is that personalities who do things like this, act as if their past doesn't exist or that no one can pull up this information ? It suggests a strong, contempt for whoever their audience is. They can remake themselves over and over and over, and over, until they are triva questions.

Don't these people have ANY shame ?

This thing reminds me of Sammy Davis Jr.s endorsement of Nixon...it's so fake and contrived, I'm EMBARASSED just to be subjected to this public display !

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:30 pm

I know what you mean, Mike. Seems to me there are (at least) two types of celebrities that do this -- the first (like Mr. Miller) seem to just try to stay in the headlines by following trends and/or doing "shocking" things. (Grunge-rocker Vanilla Ice, anyone?)

The others seem to just be genuinely bored by doing the same thing over and over -- Bob Dylan and David Bowie come to mind here.

BTW, in case anyone's keeping score at home, the other celebrities appearing/performing at this fundraiser apparently were Johnny Mathis and Kelsey Grammer.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Mon Jun 30, 2003 4:26 pm

Hmmmm.

Kelsey Grammer, the Ac-tor, who wholely, co-opted, Jack Benny mannerisms, and passed himself off as an original. This guy is a one -man, walking, Jerry Springer Show. Apparently, no one over at Republican Headquarters saw his new TNN show, incarnation as cartoon character lawyer, "Gary The Rat" ? Great, new image going there, and very appropriate !!!

As well, Grammer became embroiled in a controversay in 1998, concerning a videotape of him, doing some wild and crazzzzzzy things ! See this link....http://www.eonline.com/News/Items/0,1,3994,00.html

Is ANYONE looking at the backgrounds of these celebrities, or just looking at their recent Q ratings ?