Emulation innovation

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Xenu
Sellout

Emulation innovation

Postby Xenu » Sat Mar 12, 2005 1:23 am

Anybody here ever use console emulators?

Apparently, thanks to recent innovations in compression technology, etc., the *entire* run of SNES ROMs--including every known variation of every game, every translation, etc.--which formally fit into ~7 gigs...

Now fits into 1.65.

This makes my completist self very happy.

Similarly, the NES equivalent fits into ~250megs. And the N64--by virtue of having so few games--hovers around ~2 gigs as well, I think.

Computers are truly great things. However, Mario 64's fucking impossible without an analogue stick.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:47 pm

I'm old fashioned...still have about 8 gazillion different consoles hanging around the house. Of all the stuff, though, Mario Kart and Dr. Mario for the N64 still get the most run (with Smash Bros. 64 being a close third).

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:54 pm

I've got a Sega Master System with about 20 games around...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:18 pm

A friend of mine has an Xbox that's been hacked and replaced with a hard drive, and filled with almost every arcade game you can think of, as well as all the SuperNintendo games, Sega Genesis games, and a bunch of other stuff. This machine is incredible. All of the games work, but some of them have video issues in a couple of places.

We spent hours playing Kung Fu Master, Alien Syndrome, Frenzy, Golden Axe, Gauntlet, etc. It was the most fun I've had with a console in a long time, but this system didn't come cheap, and it's pretty much illegal to own one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:42 pm

If the first five years of the twenty-first century are any indication, the intelligent use of technology these days requires getting over the idea that things are "pretty much illegal."
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911