Infused Vodkas

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Infused Vodkas

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:12 pm

Anyone here ever make them? We've done strawberry once, which was ok, but not as good as what they make at the bar we usually go to. Plus we had a *hell* of a time trying to filter the solids out - the coffee filters we were using just clogged up right away, while a strainer let way too much get through.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:30 pm

I don't know about infused Vodkas, but I'd like to talk about some Vodka. I love Chopin for straight drinking, and Tangueray Citrus for mixing. Has anyone had Skyy or Grey Goose before? Those are my next ones to sample.

I'll have to try an infused vodka drink sometime.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:42 pm

The Goose is damn good, actually. Skyy is about like Absolut. Vincent Van Gogh and Belvedere are also good top-shelf choices (particularly Belvedere, which gives GG a run for the money).
I think you need cheesecloth to filter the end product.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:48 pm

Dudelsack, do you drink Goose straight or mix it, or both?

I also want to try Belvedere. It's by the same company that makes Chopin, but Chopin is made with grain (rye, IIRC) and Belvedere is made with potatoes. People say that both are great, it just comes down to what the individual prefers.

I should pass on the Skyy, since there are many other vodkas I enjoy more than Absolut.

dudelsack

Postby dudelsack » Mon Feb 28, 2005 12:54 pm

You can drink Goose straight (lord knows I've done my fair share of shots) or mix it to a fine (and strong) V&T, which is what I do most of the time. I wouldn't necessarily sip it but I'm not much into sipping vodka anyway (when in Russia, do like crazy Ivan does). I wouldn't bother with it in a Bloody Mary or something multiflavored (Caucasians probably qualify here too), as that would probably obscure the improvement in taste anyway.

You're not missing much with Skyy, IMO.

If you can get your hands on the duty-free version of Stolichnaya black, that's a pretty fine vodka too. Don't think it's sold in the US, though.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:14 pm

As far as mixed drinks go, I like Vodka tonics a lot more than screwdrivers or other mixed drinks where the object seems to be to obscure the alcohol taste, so I like a vodka with a good flavor.

I haven't seen the Stoli black anywhere over here, just the regular label, which is IMO pretty good. But, like the Skyy, there are better choices for about the same price.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:14 pm

dudelsack wrote:I think you need cheesecloth to filter the end product.

Yeah, I was thinking of trying that next.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:18 pm

Rob P wrote:I also want to try Belvedere. It's by the same company that makes Chopin, but Chopin is made with grain (rye, IIRC) and Belvedere is made with potatoes. People say that both are great, it just comes down to what the individual prefers.

Chopin is made from potatoes, and is Polish. Belvedere is the rye based one, also from Poland.

I'm not a huge vodka person, but Amy likes both.

Skyy is decent enough for something like a screwdriver.

BTW, the vodka we use for the strawberry infusion is Thor's Hammer.

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:43 pm

Oops, I reversed the two (Belvedere, Chopin). :oops: They're pricey, but so worth it.

I haven't seen Thor's Hammer yet in Virginia. Our ABC stores might be a little bit slow to get this one.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:47 pm

Trader Joe's is supposed to import some excellent, inexpensive potato vodkas. Problematically, I haven't yet found a Trader Joe's that sells liquor.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:48 pm

Rob P wrote:Has anyone had Skyy or Grey Goose before? Those are my next ones to sample.

Yes, but I gave up drinking altogether almost two years ago.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 1:56 pm

Rob P wrote:I haven't seen Thor's Hammer yet in Virginia. Our ABC stores might be a little bit slow to get this one.

That's what the bar we go to was using initially. Then they switched to Three Olives for some reason. A few grocery stores around here used to have TH, but when we went yesterday there was none on the shelves. We asked the guy working the checkout. He didn't know what happened, but there hadn't been any for a while, just a few bottles in the clearance cart.

So we got the last remaining bottle (1L) for $12.99. Score.

I wonder if something happened to their distribution channel.

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:11 pm

Xenu wrote:Trader Joe's is supposed to import some excellent, inexpensive potato vodkas. Problematically, I haven't yet found a Trader Joe's that sells liquor.

That surprises me. When I used to live in the Chicago 'burbs, every TJ I went to had a liquor section.

OFF TOPIC: Post #1000! WOO HOO!

Rob P

Postby Rob P » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:17 pm

1 Liter for $12.99, that can't be beat.

I googled Thor's Hammer Vodka, and they still have a website, but my internet at work won't let me click on the link (alcohol related). There's some online retailers that are carrying it, but they look a lot more expensive than $12.99.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:21 pm

Rob P wrote:I googled Thor's Hammer Vodka, and they still have a website, but my internet at work won't let me click on the link (alcohol related). There's some online retailers that are carrying it, but they look a lot more expensive than $12.99.

The US part of the site isn't working; it didn't at home last night, and it isn't working here at work today.

There's no mention on Barton's website, which makes me think they don't distribute it any more.