I received a letter today...

Got a funny story to post? Just want to talk? This would be a good place for that.
Dob

I received a letter today...

Postby Dob » Sat Dec 11, 2004 2:36 pm

...from the local "Community Schools Educational Excellence Foundation", written by the Superintendent of Schools himself. Scanning the letter revealed that it is a request for donations so that our community can continue to give our children "one of the best educations in the State of Michigan."

So I start reading. The letter is written in a personal, folksy manner, and it begins with a description of the Superintendent's grandson attending his first day of kindergarten:

"The little toe-headed, bright-eyed child, barely taller than a comma, was ready. Pleased with his new back pack, he picked it up, slung it over his shoulder, and said, "See ya' later, mom and dad." And he was gone."

Toe-headed??? I started to laugh out loud. Either I've never heard of this rare birth defect, or the writer meant to say "towheaded." I'm thinking it's the latter.

My wife, overhearing my laughter, asked me what was so funny. So I showed her. First, she thought the spelling was correct. Then she replied that I was being too critical, as usual. I guess I'm Mr. Nitpicker.

Maybe I am...but finding "toe-headed" in a letter from the "Educational Excellence Foundation" is a bit much.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:29 pm

"barely taller than a comma"?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sat Dec 11, 2004 4:53 pm

Dob

Postby Dob » Sat Dec 11, 2004 8:10 pm

lukpac wrote:"barely taller than a comma"?

Never heard that one before either. I think that phrase is supposed to elicit an "Awww..." from the reader, but I found it strange.
Dob

-------------------

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken