Cervical cancer comes swinging back!

Let's talk about various types of religion.
Xenu
Sellout

Cervical cancer comes swinging back!

Postby Xenu » Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:45 pm

http://www.firstcoastnews.com/news/heal ... ryid=76658

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A group of families has sued in an attempt to block Gov. Rick Perry's executive order requiring schoolgirls to be vaccinated against the virus that causes cervical cancer.

The lawsuit challenges Perry's authority to issue the order and seeks to block any state money from being spent on the vaccine until that question is resolved, said Kenneth Chaiken, the attorney representing the families.

"The school-age girls of Texas are not guinea pigs who may be subjected to medial procedures at the apparent whim of Texas' governor," according to the lawsuit, which was filed Thursday in Travis County.

Perry, a Republican, wants to require the vaccine for girls entering sixth grade. It protects against strains of human papapillomavirus, or HPV, that cause most cases of cervical cancer and genital warts.

Supporters of the vaccine requirement say it will help fight a cancer that kills 3,700 American women each year.

But the order has inflamed conservatives who say it contradicts Texas' abstinence-only sexual education policies and intrudes into family lives. Chaiken said the lawsuit does not raise that moral objection.

Perry is confident he had the authority to issue the order, his spokeswoman Krista Moody said.

"He sees this vaccine as not only a fiscally responsible order but also one that has the potential to save the lives of thousands of women in Texas," Moody said.

The governor's order also upset many lawmakers in his own party, and a bill to override the measure is moving through the state House.AUSTIN, Texas (AP) -- A group of families has sued in an attempt to block Gov. Rick Perry's executive order requiring schoolgirls to be vaccinated against the virus that causes cervical cancer.

The lawsuit challenges Perry's authority to issue the order and seeks to block any state money from being spent on the vaccine until that question is resolved, said Kenneth Chaiken, the attorney representing the families.

"The school-age girls of Texas are not guinea pigs who may be subjected to medial procedures at the apparent whim of Texas' governor," according to the lawsuit, which was filed Thursday in Travis County.

Perry, a Republican, wants to require the vaccine for girls entering sixth grade. It protects against strains of human papapillomavirus, or HPV, that cause most cases of cervical cancer and genital warts.

Supporters of the vaccine requirement say it will help fight a cancer that kills 3,700 American women each year.

But the order has inflamed conservatives who say it contradicts Texas' abstinence-only sexual education policies and intrudes into family lives. Chaiken said the lawsuit does not raise that moral objection.

Perry is confident he had the authority to issue the order, his spokeswoman Krista Moody said.

"He sees this vaccine as not only a fiscally responsible order but also one that has the potential to save the lives of thousands of women in Texas," Moody said.

The governor's order also upset many lawmakers in his own party, and a bill to override the measure is moving through the state House.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:14 am

Yeah, they're brawling over this in the state legislature here in Kentucky, too.

My favorite was some clown who declared that we shouldn't vaccinate against HPV and cervical cancer because it's a "lifestyle disease."

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:27 pm

I'm currently working in my Senator's office, and we've been getting a surprising number of calls about this (interspersed with citizens who're furious that "In God We Trust" won't be on the new dollar coins).

Now, I'm a firm believer in the idea that your Senator's office, and especially the district office, should be non-partisan. That said, I've been unable to resist the temptation on more than one occasion to probe for more information: is the caller against the institution of a mandatory vaccination policy (which I can grasp as a legitimate issue, at the very least) or against the vaccination itself? After some hemming and hawing, it without fail ends up being someone against the very idea of an HPV vaccination. [/url]
-------------

"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911