Pat Robertson: God struck down Ariel Sharon

Let's talk about various types of religion.
Rspaight

Pat Robertson: God struck down Ariel Sharon

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:58 pm

Robertson blamed Sharon stroke on policy of "dividing God's land"

On the January 5 edition of Christian Broadcasting Network's (CBN) The 700 Club, host Pat Robertson suggested that Israeli Prime Minister Ariel Sharon's recent stroke was the result of Sharon's policy, which he claimed is "dividing God's land." Robertson admonished: "I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU [European Union], the United Nations, or United States of America." Although Robertson professed that "Sharon was personally a very likeable person," he nonetheless declared that "God has enmity against those who, quote, 'divide my land.' " Robertson called the 1995 assassination of former Israeli Prime Minister Yitzhak Rabin "the same thing." A previous CBN news article, titled "Dividing the Land, Dishonoring God's Covenant," examined Sharon's decision to return control of the Gaza strip to the Palestinian Authority.

Robertson's comment was first reported by JTA, an international news service that covers "issues of concern to the Jewish people," and Joshua Micah Marshall's Talking Points Memo weblog, which links to the JTA website.

From the January 5 edition of CBN's The 700 Club:

ROBERTSON: I have said last year that Israel was entering into the most dangerous period of its entire existence as a nation. That is intensifying this year with the loss of Sharon. Sharon was personally a very likeable person. I am sad to see him in this condition. But I think we need to look at the Bible and the Book of Joel. The prophet Joel makes it very clear that God has enmity against those who, quote, "divide my land." God considers this land to be his. You read the Bible, he says, "This is my land." And for any prime minister of Israel who decides he going carve it up and give it away, God says, "No. This is mine." And the same thing -- I had a wonderful meeting with Yitzhak Rabin in 1974. He was tragically assassinated, and it was terrible thing that happened, but nevertheless, he was dead. And now Ariel Sharon, who was again a very likeable person, a delightful person to be with. I prayed with him personally. But here he is at the point of death. He was dividing God's land, and I would say woe unto any prime minister of Israel who takes a similar course to appease the EU, the United Nations or United States of America. God said, "This land belongs to me, you better leave it alone."
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:07 pm

I recently thought of an odd contingency to this.

Any of you familiar with the standard dispensationalist tale of the End Days? Y'know, antichrist, rapture, all that jazz.

Well, the 20th-century dispensationalist version of the Antichrist is very, very specifically addressed by them Left Behind folks (despite the total lack of any biblical grounds for most of these descriptions). In particular, one of the qualities commonly attributed to the Antichrist is that he survives a mortal wound...usually specified as a mortal head wound.

Surely you see where this is going.

If Sharon pulls through, I have to wonder if any of the usual suspects (or even some of the less usual suspects like Don Wildmon) will start making Antichrist accusations of him.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911