Scientology: The Book Of Tom (Cruise, that is)

Let's talk about various types of religion.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:59 am

Ryan, I think your new quote should be:

"The world is round and Scientology works!"
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:08 pm

Great one, isn't it?

I just changed to the Hitler thing today, so maybe in a few days.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Jun 30, 2005 2:20 pm

"What's true is what's true for you." I'm surprised more people don't realize how silly that mantra is.

I'm particularly fond of:
Always appreciate your contribution to religious tolerance in the world. We don't need it all that much, do we? What are a few more gunmen, firebombs and beat-up Scientologists? No worries, mate, they're Scientologists. Reporters needn't worry about their kids and wives. Small price for a byline.

Love the "may" and "could" and "rumored to." Solid reporting, that. It is now rumored that Salon.com writers and editors indulge in ... Naah, sorry, I'm too polite. But the likelihood of Cruise having signed a billion-year contract approaches the improbability that your review of "War of the Worlds" was unbiased.

...what?
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Dob

Postby Dob » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:11 am

No other religion has ever proved that I am a spiritual being and have been here forever and will be here forever other than Buddhism, and unfortunately Buddha's technology in reaching a higher state was lost.

If anyone knows what "technology" this person is talking about, please fill me in.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Dob

Postby Dob » Fri Jul 01, 2005 11:18 am

Xenu wrote:"What's true is what's true for you." I'm surprised more people don't realize how silly that mantra is.

I'm also wondering how that mantra fits in with...
Opinions are only opinions; the facts speak for themselves...
Dob

-------------------

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Fri Jul 01, 2005 2:07 pm

Dob wrote:If anyone knows what "technology" this person is talking about, please fill me in.

It's Scientologese for something akin to "scripture." Remember, Scientology is an "applied" philosophy. Hubbard says "here's how to handle explosive bowel instability" and you're supposed to take his "axoims" and apply them. Thus, the "tech."
-------------

the 801

Postby the 801 » Mon Jul 04, 2005 8:37 pm

Here's an interesting (albeit uncorroborated) lil' tid-bit out on the web:

"According to a twenty-two year former member, Tom Cruise went somewhat insane while doing Scientology's secret initiation levels (OT III, the story of the galactic Emperor Xenu). The member from which this information is coming said Cruise was getting his "OT III repair" processing at that time. To prevent a public scene, they quickly got him into some more hypnotic trance induction and mellowed him out."

http://www.xs4all.nl/~fishman/fable.htm

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:21 pm

Some of you may already be familiar with the 1983 Penthouse interview with Jr., but I just read it for the first time and found it fascinating.

It's difficult to discern the truth from all the conflicting stories, but I found (most of) Jr.'s version very believable...if only because he shows Sr. to be obsessed with power, money, and sex. In other words, no different from most cult leaders.
Dob

-------------------

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:58 pm

The whole "is it a cult? is it a religion?" thing has always sort of irked me; it isn't what you *call* them that matters, it's what they *do*. That said, the easiest case to be made for pegging Scientology as a cult has to do with how they revere Mr. Hubbard in situations where it's entirely inappropriate to do so:

www.ronthemusicmaker.org

See?
-------------

Dob

Postby Dob » Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:46 am

Hubbard was quite a fellow. He selflessly devoted himself to developing and deploying the "technology" necessary to free humanity, and then -- having accomplished all he set out to do -- chose to "depart his body." Kinda like Jesus. Perhaps Scientologists even whisper about a "second coming."
On 24 January 1986, having accomplished all he set out to do, Ron departs his body...he has become one of the most beloved men in history...although his physical presence is gone, he is still very much with us in spirit.

http://www.scientology.org/en_US/l-ron- ... pg017.html
Dob

-------------------

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:10 pm

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:56 pm

Xenu wrote:The whole "is it a cult? is it a religion?" thing has always sort of irked me; it isn't what you *call* them that matters, it's what they *do*. That said, the easiest case to be made for pegging Scientology as a cult has to do with how they revere Mr. Hubbard in situations where it's entirely inappropriate to do so:

www.ronthemusicmaker.org

See?

A religion is just a cult plus a hundred years or so. Maybe less in this fast-paced age.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Dob

Postby Dob » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:45 pm

krabapple wrote:A religion is just a cult plus a hundred years or so. Maybe less in this fast-paced age.

I'd say it's more of a case of the charismatic founder dying (however long that takes) and his successors almost never being as charismatic as he was. Then the cult has to rely more on its ideas and principles to keep and attract followers, and (if it survives) it begins to resemble a religion.
Dob

-------------------

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:37 pm

The Secret Life of Beck Hansen

I had heard he was a Scientologist, but I'm wondering if all the rest is true.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:46 pm

Bennett Cerf wrote:The Secret Life of Beck Hansen

I had heard he was a Scientologist, but I'm wondering if all the rest is true.

He's definitely a Scientologist, and he's definitely been bullshitting about his biography for as long as he's been giving interviews. But then again, so has Dylan.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant