"What does the Bible say about gay marriage?"

Let's talk about various types of religion.
MK

"What does the Bible say about gay marriage?"

Postby MK » Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:02 pm

Man, who writes these things? For some, religion is framework in finding and searching for the 'answers,' then there are those who take it at face value and overread it as a text full of simple, easy answers:

http://www.gotquestions.org/gay-marriage.html

Answer: Before we look at gay marriage, first we have to remember what the Bible says about homosexuality. The Bible clearly and consistently tells us that homosexual activity is a sin (Genesis 19:1-13; Leviticus 18:22; Romans 1:26-27; 1Corinthians 6:9). God does not create a person with homosexual desires. A person becomes a homosexual because of sin (Rom 1:24-27), and ultimately because of their own choice. A person may be born with a greater susceptibility to homosexuality, just as people are born with a tendency to violence and other sins. That does not excuse the person choosing to sin by giving into their sinful desires. If a person is born with a greater susceptibility to anger / rage, does that make it right for then to give into those desires? Of course not! The same is true for homosexuality.

We also have to remember that homosexuality is just as forgivable a sin as all other sins. God’s forgiveness is just as available to a homosexual as it is to an adulterer, idol worshipper, murderer, thief, etc. God’s love and desire to save extends to homosexuals (John 3:16; Romans 5:8). God also promises the strength for victory over sin, including homosexuality, to all those who will believe in Jesus Christ for their salvation (1Cor 6:11; 2Cor 5:17).

To give sanction to homosexual marriage would be to give approval to that lifestyle, which the Bible clearly and consistently condemns as sinful. I belief the Christians should stand firmly against the idea of gay marriage. Marriage is ordained by God to be between a man and a woman (Genesis 2:21-24; Matthew 19:4-6). Homosexual marriage is a perversion of the institution of marriage and an offense to the God who created marriage. God forbids and condemns homosexuality, so He clearly is opposed to homosexual marriage. As Christians, we are to seek to share the love of God and salvation through Christ with homosexuals. We are to be loving and kind to homosexuals, while at the same time not condoning their sinful lifestyle.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:42 pm

"And since this is what *I* believe, I must force everyone else to behave as I wish."

Fuckhead.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:46 pm

Jesus also points out that the person who marries a divorced woman is an adulterer. The NT's figure numero uno has some odd views on marriage in general.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:51 pm

Have you guys read the DaVinci code? If so, you'd know that Jesus secretly had a child with Mary Magdalene.

St. Augustine was a nutjob. Too bad so many of his ideas were accepted.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:53 pm

Xenu wrote:Jesus also points out that the person who marries a divorced woman is an adulterer. The NT's figure numero uno has some odd views on marriage in general.

Ehrman points out that Jesus' anti-divorce stance can be seen as a form of support for women. If a man divorced a woman back in the day, that essentially left her high and dry.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

dcooper

Postby dcooper » Wed Mar 09, 2005 3:54 pm

I have yet to see anyone who claims to be opposed to gay marriage give a single credible explanation of how homosexual marriage is harmful to the sanctity of marriage. And "the bible tells me so" is not a credible explanation. The bible tells us lots of things that are ignored by Christians every day.

For what it's worth, celebrities such as Britney Spears and Jennifer Lopez with their temporary marriages have done more to damage the sanctity of marriage then two committed gay men who want to spend the rest of their lives together. They have cheapened the institution by saying they promise to love, honor, & whatever until the day they die -- or until their next album or movie fails to go platinum and they need to gin up their name rec. in the tabloids.

The hypocrisy and hatred spewed by people "in the name of god" is revolting to me. But, of course, they've got their man in the White House, and those of us who sleep in on Sunday morning are worse off for it.
Dan

The language and concepts contained herein are
guaranteed not to cause eternal torment in the
place where the guy with the horns and pointed
stick conducts his business. - FZ

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:49 pm

Xenu wrote:Jesus also points out that the person who marries a divorced woman is an adulterer. The NT's figure numero uno has some odd views on marriage in general.

Not exactly (bolding mine):

5:31 "It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

In the case of adultery, divorce is permissible. This text is from the "Sermon On The Mount," where Jesus restricts ("fulfills") certain Old Testament laws, which were sometimes harsh and cruel, like "an eye for an eye." Why were the laws like that in the first place? Jesus said it was not because God wanted them that way, but because of the "hardness of your hearts."

In the case of marriage, Jesus is saying that the Old Testament custom of a man divorcing his wife by just giving her a "writing of divorcement" was not strong enough, and that marriage needed to be protected by restricting the grounds for divorce.

PatrickM wrote:Ehrman points out that Jesus' anti-divorce stance can be seen as a form of support for women. If a man divorced a woman back in the day, that essentially left her high and dry.

I would agree.
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Thu Mar 10, 2005 12:02 am

Patrick M wrote:Have you guys read the DaVinci code? If so, you'd know that Jesus secretly had a child with Mary Magdalene.

And here's what he grew up to be:

"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:04 am

Dob wrote:5:31 "It hath been said, Whosoever shall put away his wife, let him give her a writing of divorcement: 5:32 But I say unto you, That whosoever shall put away his wife, saving for the cause of fornication, causeth her to commit adultery: and whosoever shall marry her that is divorced committeth adultery."

I think there's a more restrictive version of that. Gimme a day or so and I'll get back to you.

-D