Evolution, Creationism, and Intelligent Design

Let's talk about various types of religion.
krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:40 pm

Dob wrote:I've spent a couple of hours perusing this "Christian Ministries" site, and I'm mightily impressed.

Addressing the question of whether this site is a hoax -- I couldn't find anything (through google) that definitively states that it's a hoax. In fact, many folks indignantly quote the infamous article that explores the links between Apple computers and Satan as if the author, Dr. Richard Paley, really exists and is a real professor of "theobiology."

I think it's safe to say that it is a hoax, though. See this article for a thorough summation.

UNfortunately, the last 'graf or two shows that that guy's not much better than the people "OBJECTIVES" parodies
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Jan 18, 2005 4:43 pm

Btw, 'Richard Paley' has to be a nod toward William Paley, an influence on Darwin (though Darwin ended up refuting his most dearly-held ideas) and probably the first famous proponent of 'argument from design'
(the forebear of today's 'intelligent design')

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:26 pm

Paley's argument gets cited in almost every other article about Intelligent Design...funny how so many people know the watchmaker scenario, but don't know the man it came from.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 7:05 am

krabapple wrote:Unfortunately...that guy's not much better than the people "OBJECTIVES" parodies

Neither am I, then...although I would take issue with your assessment of "not much" better. May I be so bold as to suggest that the rumors of the ignorance and stupidity of creationists have been greatly exaggerated?
William Paley, an influence on Darwin (though Darwin ended up refuting his most dearly-held ideas) and probably the first famous proponent of 'argument from design' (the forebear of today's 'intelligent design')

It seems to me that the whole argument of intelligent design is doomed from the start because of the "scientific" definition of the term, which is expressed in terms of human intelligent design. In other words, intelligent design cannot exist and has no meaning without the existence of man. Since life is clearly not man-made, it therefore has not been intelligently designed.

Let's dig into this definition a bit deeper. Instead of accepting the categories of intelligent (man-made) and non-intelligent (evolution) design as a given, let's ask "what is it exactly that makes man-made design intelligent?" What is it about Paley's watch that makes it an example of intelligent design? I'm looking for an objective set of criteria or definition that can be applied to any object, not just a watch. For example, stating that "it has numbers on it" would be useless to evaluate an object that didn't have numbers or language on it. Similarly, stating that "it is made of metal" is too narrow as well.

The first settlers of the great plains built houses out of sod, due to the scarcity of wood. Would these sod houses be considered examples of "intelligent design"? If so, why?
Dob
-------------------
"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Jan 19, 2005 11:26 am

Dob wrote:
krabapple wrote:Unfortunately...that guy's not much better than the people "OBJECTIVES" parodies

Neither am I, then...although I would take issue with your assessment of "not much" better. May I be so bold as to suggest that the rumors of the ignorance and stupidity of creationists have been greatly exaggerated?
William Paley, an influence on Darwin (though Darwin ended up refuting his most dearly-held ideas) and probably the first famous proponent of 'argument from design' (the forebear of today's 'intelligent design')

It seems to me that the whole argument of intelligent design is doomed from the start because of the "scientific" definition of the term, which is expressed in terms of human intelligent design. In other words, intelligent design cannot exist and has no meaning without the existence of man. Since life is clearly not man-made, it therefore has not been intelligently designed.

Let's dig into this definition a bit deeper. Instead of accepting the categories of intelligent (man-made) and non-intelligent (evolution) design as a given, let's ask "what is it exactly that makes man-made design intelligent?" What is it about Paley's watch that makes it an example of intelligent design? I'm looking for an objective set of criteria or definition that can be applied to any object, not just a watch. For example, stating that "it has numbers on it" would be useless to evaluate an object that didn't have numbers or language on it. Similarly, stating that "it is made of metal" is too narrow as well.

The first settlers of the great plains built houses out of sod, due to the scarcity of wood. Would these sod houses be considered examples of "intelligent design"? If so, why?

Again, it's the creationists you want to be asking these questions; scientists don't speak of 'intelligent design'. They speak of parsimonious models and natural phenomena -- thus
'intelligent design' would only apply, if at all, to things reasonably deduced to be designed by organisms we know to be intelligent: to date, humans. Creationists (and yourself) posit the existence of a second source of intelligence -- a supernatural one, that is conveniently unknowable in essential ways and yet, conveniently, not in others. There can be no scientific 'argument' about such a being. Such a being can be positied as the explanation for *anything*. And again, I suspect the folks on talk.origins on Usenet would be happy to engage you in what will essentially be a philosophical , perhaps semantic, argument on this point. As would Dawkins, but only through his books.

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 12:51 pm

krabapple wrote:...'intelligent design' would only apply, if at all, to things reasonably deduced to be designed by organisms we know to be intelligent: to date, humans.

I might ask what scientific criteria determines whether an organism is intelligent or not, but there seems to be no end to that circular argument ("an organism is intelligent if it is capable of intelligent design"), so I'll skip it.

However, I would imagine that having the ability to scientifically evaluate the levels of intelligence within human design would be of value. Or is all human design intelligent, and intelligent by the same amount? It would appear that scientists are not only helpless to determine the best Rolling Stones album, but also the design merits of a Mercedes Benz vs a Yugo...or even a Conestoga wagon.

I suspect the folks on talk.origins on Usenet would be happy to engage you in what will essentially be a philosophical , perhaps semantic, argument on this point.

What is the purpose, then, of the thousands of words debunking irreducible complexity, specified complexity, etc.? Is it simply to demonstrate how smart they are and how confused Behe and Dembski are? If the position of the scientific community is "intelligent design is human design, and vice versa, period," why not leave it at that? End of discussion.

The rigorous and brilliant minds on talk.origins already have it all figured out, and my presence would be a nuisance. Because I just don't "get it." I'd be taken about as seriously as an "no noise" fan posting on SHtv.
Dob

-------------------

"Democracy is a pathetic belief in the collective wisdom of individual ignorance" -- HL Mencken

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Jan 19, 2005 1:17 pm

Dob wrote:
krabapple wrote:...'intelligent design' would only apply, if at all, to things reasonably deduced to be designed by organisms we know to be intelligent: to date, humans.

I might ask what scientific criteria determines whether an organism is intelligent or not, but there seems to be no end to that circular argument ("an organism is intelligent if it is capable of intelligent design"), so I'll skip it.

There is no agreed upon criterion; some consider dolphins and apes to have intelligence of a sort. In any case, 'intelligence', as far as we know, is a characteristic of real organisms, not speculative, supernatural entities. The question of whether other *organisms* exhibit intelligence, and how to define intelligence, is much discussed in science, and it cannot be hard to find more discussion about it, if you were interested.

The question of whether a specualtive nonphysical supernatural 'intelligence' exists, which designed the universe or imbued humans with 'spirit', is, however, much less amenable to scientific discussion, as perhaps you see.

However, I would imagine that having the ability to scientifically evaluate the levels of intelligence within human design would be of value. Or is all human design intelligent, and intelligent by the same amount? It would appear that scientists are not only helpless to determine the best Rolling Stones album, but also the design merits of a Mercedes Benz vs a Yugo...or even a Conestoga wagon.

All human design is intelligent in the sense that humans are all considered to be intelligent. *How* intelligent any given human is, and how to measure that ,is of course, a controversial area, as is , of course, the very definition of intelligence. The 'design merits' of anything are entirely dependent on how you define those merits.

I suspect the folks on talk.origins on Usenet would be happy to engage you in what will essentially be a philosophical , perhaps semantic, argument on this point.

What is the purpose, then, of the thousands of words debunking irreducible complexity, specified complexity, etc.? Is it simply to demonstrate how smart they are and how confused Behe and Dembski are? If the position of the scientific community is "intelligent design is human design, and vice versa, period," why not leave it at that? End of discussion.

The rigorous and brilliant minds on talk.origins already have it all figured out, and my presence would be a nuisance. Because I just don't "get it." I'd be taken about as seriously as an "no noise" fan posting on SHtv.
[/QUOTE]

talk.origins, the website, and talk.origins, the newsgroup, are two different things. The former is not interactive, the latter is *highly* interactive. The personnel are not the same. You'd be taken seriously unless you came in quoting Bible text; sarcasm willbe returned in kind. It's not moderated, so you can't be gorted. So, what's holding you back? Are you interseted in having your questions debated, or not? Or are you going to take the (possible) insufficiency of *my* answers as a sign that *no* evolutionists have satisfactory answers for you? Have you actually *read* the thousands of words rebutting Behe and Dembski, or not?

Dob

Postby Dob » Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:18 pm

krabapple wrote:There is no agreed upon criterion; some consider dolphins and apes to have intelligence of a sort. In any case, 'intelligence', as far as we know, is a characteristic of real organisms, not speculative, supernatural entities....The question of whether a specualtive nonphysical supernatural 'intelligence' exists is much less amenable to scientific discussion...

When archeologists uncover ancient remains, don't they make assessments about the intelligence of the people that lived there? And aren't these assessments based solely on the artifacts that are found?

The actions of an intelligent entity leaves behind artifacts that show evidence of its intelligence (if they haven't been destroyed). How is speculating on the intelligence of an ancient race of people, based on artifacts, any more scientific than using the artifacts of life to speculate on the intelligence of its design? Whatever label you attach to this design/designer (be it evolution or God) is immaterial to assessing the intelligence of the design.

Yet you insist on attaching the label "nonphysical supernatural intelligence" to this designer, and then you use that label to dismiss the whole discussion as non-scientific. Furthermore, you imply that I am the one insisting on that label. At this stage of discussion, it's putting the cart before the horse, as I see it.

talk.origins, the website, and talk.origins, the newsgroup, are two different things...You'd be taken seriously unless you came in quoting Bible text; sarcasm willbe returned in kind. So, what's holding you back? Are you interseted in having your questions debated, or not?

The reason I started this thread on FLO is because this topic seems to come up, or gets referred to, rather often here. I thought that perhaps some folks here might be curious to discuss this with a creationist (me) who isn't going to start quoting Bible text or raving about eternal damnation.

My comment about "rigorous and brilliant minds" wasn't sarcasm in the sense that I meant the opposite. I have no doubt that there are plenty of smart, well informed people on talkorigins. The problem is that they damn well know it and don't hesitate to flaunt their "superior" knowledge and thought processes.

Isn't the following an example of the kind of condescending attitude that I would find at talkorigins?

People who find evolution...to be 'outrageously bogus', tend to understand it poorly if at all. Meanwhile, people who do know a lot about evolution tend to find creationism 'outrageously bogus'.

Is there any way to read that statement other than "evolutionists find creationism not only unscientific, but patently ridiculous, and they also question the ability of creationists to think clearly."

Have you actually *read* the thousands of words rebutting Behe and Dembski, or not?

I didn't read the rebuttals of "specified complexity" because I find that concept weak to begin with. But I did read the rebuttals on "irreducible complexity." I found the "irreducible complexity of the mousetrap" discussion particularly interesting, if only for the reason that it's a simple enough concept for me to understand.

I was incredulous at some of the convoluted, oh-so-clever arguments showing that a mousetrap, missing one piece, was not useless at all. Keith Robison wrote that you didn't need the base, you could simply nail the mousetrap to the floor. Then he recalled his discussion with Behe in an attempt to show how confused Behe's thinking is ("you're just substituting a different base") and how clear his own is ("no, it works without a base").

And he goes on: "Each time we show that a supposedly "irreducibly complex" system is not, by removing one part, a supporter can claim that our new system is now 'irreducibly complex.' Any similarity to Zeno's Paradox is surely accidental" (I seem to have missed the sarcasm that prompted this response "in kind").

So, Mr. Robison, I guess if you were only given one part -- the metal hammer -- you could still claim it functions as mousetrap, because you could throw it at the mouse?

Another fellow argues that, even if we accept that the incomplete parts can't function as a mousetrap, the individual parts still have useful functions. For example, (I'm not making this up) the base can be used as a paperweight.

In fairness, I should add that I didn't find that rebuttal at talkorigins.
Dob

-------------------

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:04 am

The actions of an intelligent entity leaves behind artifacts that show evidence of its intelligence (if they haven't been destroyed). How is speculating on the intelligence of an ancient race of people, based on artifacts, any more scientific than using the artifacts of life to speculate on the intelligence of its design? Whatever label you attach to this design/designer (be it evolution or God) is immaterial to assessing the intelligence of the design.

You're still taking as a given that there *is* a "design." Aside from "it's just so gosh-darn complex" hand-waving, there's no real evidence that the natural world is pre-meditated.

Intelligence is useful only as an attribute assigned to organic, observable life, not to theoretical supernatural constructs. We can speculate on the intelligence of unearthed human civilizations because humans are living things with measurable and assessable intelligence. We have no frame of reference to assess the intelligence of beings which cannot be shown to exist.

I think you are confusing elegance with intelligence. Just because a system is elegant does not necessarily mean any sort of understandable intelligence created it. If you posit that the intelligent designer is not understandable, then what is the point of studying it? If there *is* an understandable intelligence at work, we are not going to understand it by assuming it a priori. Either way, the question is irrelevant to studying the natural world. As part of a personal world-view, it's useful indeed, but scientifically it's a non-starter.

Finally, "evolution" is not a living thing with higher brain functions, it is a process governed by natural laws. At least as far as I'm concerned, anthropomorphizing it is not helpful.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:59 am

This all seems like a Match Game setup...

Gene Rayburn: "God is SOOOOOOOO intelligent..."
Audience: "How intelligent is He?!"
Gene Rayburn: "Well I'll tell ya. God is SOOOOOOOO intelligent, when His wife needed new knees, He gave her new _____ instead."
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:07 am

Maybe it's just me, but I see an overweening arrogance in the whole idea of "intelligent design." Mind you, I'm not saying that Dob is being arrogant in any way. This whole thread has been very thought-provoking and unusually polite.

I find it much easier to accept the concept of life on Earth as an amazing cosmic accident than the concept that was everything was created by some omnipotent force. Yes, I am a heathen. :twisted:

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:45 am

Rspaight wrote:Just because a system is elegant does not necessarily mean any sort of understandable intelligence created it.

God does not play dice.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:49 am

Neither does he make no junk, I understand.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:52 am

If God had any junk, do you think he'd go to Larry the Rubbish Man for hauling?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:00 am

Could God create junk that Larry couldn't haul?

Ryan