Message for those wishing to register

Announcements, questions and answers about how the forum works. Want a feature added? Ask here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Message for those wishing to register

Postby lukpac » Fri May 26, 2006 10:02 am

Due to the influx of spam users/bots lately, any new user requests will now get approved by me first, at least for the time being.
Last edited by lukpac on Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:37 pm

<sigh>

Spammers, I'm just going to delete your account before you can even post, so don't even bother. Ok? Thanks.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:43 am

Luke's talking to bots now.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 am

But they aren't bots. At least I can't figure out how they could be. I've got that image validation thing setup, so in theory an actual person has to view the image and type in the code.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:55 am

Oh, no, bots can read captchas!

So they've got a bunch of Vietnamese 12-year-olds out there signing up spam accounts? How depressing.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:58 am

Rspaight wrote:So they've got a bunch of Vietnamese 12-year-olds out there signing up spam accounts? How depressing.

That's the feeling I get...

Funny, after I brought this up again, I got two more fairly quickly.

The comment spam on my blog has been up lately too.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:43 am

one or two of the subforums at Stereocentral have been spammed aplenty lately too.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:01 pm

I think I just deleted 52 new users. All from the weekend.

Bah.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:06 pm

Just deleted 19 more, and have 73 more to go. Especially odd, considering 1) image validation, 2) the user list and search pages aren't even indexed in Google.

BTW, if there's anyone out there that's a real person wanting to register, e-mail me so I can activate you...

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Dec 20, 2007 6:52 pm

FYI...when I moved to the new server I installed a new CAPTCHA to reduce/eliminate spam. Since then I haven't had 1 spam registration. So anyone wishing to register should no longer have to wait.