Server Hardware

Announcements, questions and answers about how the forum works. Want a feature added? Ask here.
lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Server Hardware

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 14, 2004 1:51 pm

I'm already planning on upgrading the server hardware (and OS for that matter) in the not too distant future. The box I'll be moving to is a P3/600/256 (right now we're on a P/233/64 if you can believe it). If anyone has a faster machine (or some $$$) sitting around that they'd like to donate for the cause, let me know.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:02 pm

I've got a Dell P3/800 with (I think) 768MB in it that's just taking up space. Not sure off the top of my head on the hard drive situation -- maybe a 20GB or something like that. It may have a CD-ROM drive. I'll check for sure tonight and post back.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:11 pm

I'll take hard drives too, but I have a brand new 80 gig drive, so that's not an issue.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 25, 2004 3:42 pm

I'm in the process of temporarily speeding up the server. It will probably be up and down a bit...

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:30 pm

lukpac wrote:I'm in the process of temporarily speeding up the server.

How do you do that? NOS?
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:49 pm

NOS?

New phone wiring and much faster machine.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:33 pm

NOS

Details, please.
Chuck thinks that I look to good to be a computer geek. I think that I know too much about interface design, css, xhtml, php, asp, perl, and ia (too name a few things) to not be one.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:38 pm

It scares me that you have a link to that.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:39 pm

Why is this temporary?

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:39 pm

To what? A NOS site? You're not a car guy, are you?

-Captain Link

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:48 pm

Patrick M wrote:Why is this temporary?

All I did was swap out the hardware - I'm still running all the same software as before. As soon as a new release of Debian comes out, I'm going to work on getting that up and running, and then switch things over. That will most likely get set up on my "test" box, then move to Ryan's machine once I can arrange to pick it up. The box the server is on now will then come back to me for my own personal enjoyment.

To summarize:

old server - P/233/64
this box - Athlon/1800+/512
test box (once Debian "sarge" comes out) - P3/600/256
Ryan's - P3/800/384

So things will still be faster than before, just not quite as fast as they are now.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:49 pm

Patrick M wrote:You're not a car guy, are you?

Nope.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sat Sep 25, 2004 10:52 pm

You're picking the server up? Does this mean a visit to the Bluegrass state?

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:07 am

Doubtful.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:00 pm

Then how are you picking it up?