Best Movie

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Patrick M

Re: forrest gump

Postby Patrick M » Sun Apr 13, 2003 12:46 pm

balthazar wrote:The Shawshank Redemption may be one of the best revenge stories of all time; I'd love to read the novella. It may be second only to The Count of Monte Cristo, but after reading the book, I'm very leery of seeing any of the movies. Alexandre Dumas was brilliant.

If you like revenge stories (and you haven't already seen it) check out White:

http://us.imdb.com/Title?0111507

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Mon Apr 14, 2003 6:49 pm

What the hell, I'll pick a few particular good ones, in no order:

DUCK SOUP: The Marx Brothers in ultimate anarchic mode. Never fails to bring a smile.

THE WIZARD OF OZ: Dust-bowl bleakness(save for "Over The Rainbow")gives way to Technicolor dreams, then back to the bleakness and the unresolved fate of Toto(poor dog--you know Miss Gulch had him 'destroyed,' the wicked bitch of Kansas!).

CASABLANCA: Great Bogart/Bergman chemistry, virtually all the dialogue is memorable, and for pure B&W entertainment, can't be beat.

THE BIG SLEEP: Bogart as Phil Marlowe, a great example of cynical, suggestive filmmaking far ahead of its time.

THE SEARCHERS: If you gotta make a western, this is how to do it.

THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI: If you gotta make a war movie, this is how to do it.

ThE HIDDEN FORTRESS: If you gotta make an adventure(that inspired STAR WARS), this is how to do it.

A HARD DAY'S NIGHT: If you gotta make a comedy/musical, this is how to do it.

A SHOT IN THE DARK: If you gotta make a comedy, this is how to do it.

KOYAANISATSI: Images and music, nothing else. And nothing else quite like it.

BLUE VELVET: Modern mix of noir and the bizarre; "In dreams, I walk, with you...."

ED 8)
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Sun Jun 01, 2003 8:45 am

I love that special film, that you can put on the DVD player, or view on Tv, over and over and OVER, again.

My Cousin Vinnie, National Lampoon Vacation, Caddyshack, ANY Clint Eastwood or Steven Segal film, immediately come to mind. ANY WW2 action war film, John Wayne, Cary Grant, etc....!

I love the "deeper" films, but it's something special to just view a mindless, entertaining film, once in a while.

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Tue Jun 10, 2003 4:31 am

My current movie viewing taste, is ALL over the place...

In my pile to view....

Get Carter...Stallone Version...I've already viewed the original Michael Caine version, and was totally enthralled with Caine's minimalist and powerful performance. This is a long forgotten, classic. Sly's, Americanized version is equally interesting, even though it was made in his current "boxoffice slump". I can't wait for Sly's production of a Tupac film bio. At least he is in there "swinging" with compelling topics that other wouldn't even consider these days.

V., V...the Final Battle, Children of Dune....Perfect, well made, escapist fair, that doesn't really promise much, up-front, but pays off BIG, in terms of entertainment. It's like a cerebral massage, even though it's For-Tv made. Really good Sci-fi, without really trying.

The Last Boy Scout...a totally meaningless Bruce Willis, anti-anti-anti-hero actioner, that begs the question just "why" it was even made. A perfect weekend-type movie, that appeals to one's Lower than Common Denominator viewing instincts for any day, you need to just get away. Others DO have it worse than you do. Watch this and you'll know what I mean.

Lock, Stock, Two Smoking Barrells/Snatch....UK/EC gangster films always intrigue me, as the complete opposite of what we have enjoyed as a well-worn film genre, Lot's of GUNS, Lot's of Action, Lot's of light comedic charm here.

Lethal Weapon 1, 2, 3....the Perfect Buddy Films, that you can just sit back and ENJOY, with NO effort.

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:21 am

V., V...the Final Battle, Children of Dune....Perfect, well made, escapist fair, that doesn't really promise much, up-front, but pays off BIG, in terms of entertainment. It's like a cerebral massage, even though it's For-Tv made. Really good Sci-fi, without really trying.

Have you heard that Ken Johnson is making a three-hour V sequel for NBC? I can't wait -- I loved his original miniseries. (He didn't have any involvement with Final Battle or the series.)

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:24 am

Ryan,

I didn't hear that...GOOD NEWS ! Finally, something worthwhile to lookforward to !

Thanks so much !!!!

Are there ANY more details about this ????

Mike

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:55 am

RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Tue Jun 10, 2003 8:57 am

Thanks, Ryan !

Do you have any other movies...Sci-Fi, or others...that you like, or are viewing right now ????

Mike

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 10, 2003 9:24 am

I'm into the recent Christopher Guest movies at the moment. I saw "A Mighty Wind" recently and greatly enjoyed it -- "Waiting For Guffman" and "Best In Show" are on deck awaiting some free time.

Just saw "Finding Nemo" this past weekend. It's another fun Pixar movie. I greatly enjoy their style.

I haven't done much SF stuff lately. Saw "Matrix Reloaded," and posted my thoughts to that thread. I've also been going back and rewatching "Babylon 5" via the DVD sets. What a fantastic show.

As far as all-time favorites, that's *really* tough. I love the "Godfather" movies. "LA Confidential." "Magnolia." "Pulp Fiction." "Blazing Saddles." "Dr. Strangelove." Just off the top of my head.

Ryan

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:43 am

Ron,

Thanks for sharing your list !

Today, I picked up three George Pal titles, that I've always wanted..."The Time Machine", "The War of the Worlds", and "When Worlds Collide".

Last week, with the two "V" titles, I also picked up the oldie "Forbidden Planet".

My all time favorite sci fi films are "Invader from Mars" and "The Day the Earth Stood Still".

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 10, 2003 11:50 am

"Day The Earth Stood Still" is soooo good. I've been meaning to pick up the new DVD of that for a while now. "Forbidden Planet" -- the best Star Trek episode ever, almost ten years before Star Trek even existed. :) Haven't seen "Invader from Mars," though.

The Pal stuff is good, too. I find they hold up surprisingly well visually. The guy was good.

Ryan

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:10 pm

Ron,

Here's a link to a review "Invaders From Mars". You may know of this site, but if you don't, it's pretty good !

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=5233

Here's another link, too...

http://www.dvdjournal.com/quickreviews/ ... rs.q.shtml

http://www.dvdjournal.com/reviews/d/day ... _fsc.shtml

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Tue Jun 10, 2003 12:16 pm

DVD Journal is my favorite review site. Their reviewers are smart, funny and know their stuff. Thanks for the links.

Ryan

mikenycLI

Postby mikenycLI » Tue Jun 10, 2003 1:29 pm

I try to get a balance, if I can, and also use the Customer Reviews at amazon.com, for DVD's and some music purchases.