Best Movie

DVD/TV/movies/etc
awestra

Best Movie

Postby awestra » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:37 pm

Okay what is the best movie of all time? And why?
Not all those who wander are lost. J.R.R Tolkien

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:45 pm

Eww...I hate "best of" lists.

awestra

Postby awestra » Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:47 pm

I know :)

Ed Bishop

Postby Ed Bishop » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:00 pm

Sorry; can't pick just one.

The administrator needs to come up with different parameters for the thread.

ED
When remixing vintage tapes, imagine you are back in the time those recordings were made, and mix accordingly. forget Today's Sound Sensibilities....

Ron

Postby Ron » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:17 am

I think "Forrest Gump" may be the best movie of all time because it made me feel good. And it showed just how successful a retarded person can be in life if he [or she, as the case may be] just works real hard and applies himself [or herself, as the case may be].
Dr. Ron :mrgreen:TM "Do it 'till you're sick of it. Do it 'till you can't do it no more." Jesse Winchester

balthazar

forrest gump?

Postby balthazar » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:53 am

Forrest Gump is definitely not the best movie of all time.

While it clearly tells a story, it is more of the "slice of life" variety. There's no well-defined plot, no climax, no denoument. It's more of a series of vignettes than anything else.

If you want to watch a good movie with plot, character development, and and a spot-on story, watch The Shawshank Redemption. I'm not sure I would rank it as the best movie of all time, but it would certainly be in my top ten.

awestra

Postby awestra » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:21 am

I don't know if there could ever be a best movie of all time for me. It so dependant on what is going on in my life as to how I relate to the movie. It's an ever changing ideal I think.

Although at this point, it's been awhile since I've seen or rented a movie. Mainly because what I see coming out has been so dismal.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:35 am

awestra wrote:I don't know if there could ever be a best movie of all time for me.

Then why did you start the thread?!

awestra

Postby awestra » Wed Apr 09, 2003 10:50 am

Well this Topic needed something, and I thought it would gather some type of discussion, and it has the added joy of annoying you. <j/k>

Actully I think it was more of a point of weakness.

Patrick M

Postby Patrick M » Wed Apr 09, 2003 12:52 pm

Ron

Re: forrest gump?

Postby Ron » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:37 pm

balthazar wrote:Forrest Gump is definitely not the best movie of all time.

How can you be so sure? Have you ever been retarded? Well, I haven't but I learned just how successful retarded people can be in life from the movie "Forrest Gump." Plus, Tom Hanks kind of looked a little retarded which I felt added a "realness" to the movie. In the movie you recommend, Tim Robbins has to swim thru shit [can I say "shit"? Is this an example of profanity that could get me suspended like McGoodwin?] to gain his freedom. I don't like that. I think when Tom Hanks was young and he was running from a bully and the braces magically fell from his legs showed just how special retarded people are and how they can do anything if they just work hard and avoid using profanity. Profanity and shit are both bad. And it's possible that David McGoodwin is a trouble maker.

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed Apr 09, 2003 5:56 pm

Note to the "non-inside" folks here - Ron's tongue is stuck firmly somewhere inside of his cheek. Crews are currently working 'round the clock to get it out, although progress doesn't look good right now.

Ron

Postby Ron » Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:30 am

Hey, this is the most fun I've had in a looong time! :D Besides, you don't want this place to be stuffy, do you??

balthazar

forrest gump

Postby balthazar » Fri Apr 11, 2003 10:22 am

How can you be so sure?

I know. I have Spy Tech.

Seriously though, I enjoyed Forrest Gump. It was very entertaining, and had a brilliant soundtrack. As far as storytelling goes, though, it only succeeds on the level of "slice of life" that I referred to. And it has nothing to do with the main character being retarded. I don't much care for any other "slice of life" type movie. Didn't much for American Graffiti, didn't care much for Easy Rider, and I detest any movie they show on Lifetime. With these movies, you have little, if any idea, where the rising action of the story is leading. While I don't necessarily need a clear-cut climax, some kind of turning point in the story is needed, and all these movies either lack one altogether, or it's too weak.

On the other hand, I loved The People vs. Larry Flynt, and not just because it had naked chicks. There's at least a plot to the movie, some kind of idea where the story is headed. There is a clear climax, a clear turning point.

The Shawshank Redemption may be one of the best revenge stories of all time; I'd love to read the novella. It may be second only to The Count of Monte Cristo, but after reading the book, I'm very leery of seeing any of the movies. Alexandre Dumas was brilliant.

Ron

Postby Ron » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:38 am

The People vs. Larry Flynt and The Shawshank Redemption were both fine movies. I might also recommend Romeo Is Bleeding, featuring a particularly understated performance by Gary Oldman. It's one of my all-time favorites.