"The Odd Couple" is coming to D.V.D.!

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Gary Dunaier

"The Odd Couple" is coming to D.V.D.!

Postby Gary Dunaier » Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:48 pm

From the original ICE boards, I'm re-posting in its entirety a thread that's near and dear to my heart... the saga of The Odd Couple finally making its way to D.V.D.

Once the ICE board closes down, I don't know if any of the threads will be accessible, archived, or whatever... but for the time being, here's a link to see the thread in its original context: link

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author: coinboynyc
Posted: 2/24/2005 11:05PM

Can a classic TV show about two divorced men sharing an apartment while driving each other crazy finally be coming to Digital Versatile Disc (D.V.D.)?

The following report, posted by David Lambert on the TV Shows On D.V.D. web site, implies that the answer is... "yes".

Following on the heels of the popular 1968 Walter Matthau/Jack Lemmon film, Jack Klugman and Tony Randall became television's "Oscar Madison" and "Felix Unger", The Odd Couple, one of the all-time great shows that lasted for 5 seasons on ABC. The show was produced by Paramount, and for years fans have wondered when this would come home on our favorite round shiny discs. It seemed like the studio was holding back on us!

Yesterday's edition of The Wall Street Journal (2/23/05, Section B) had a story by Merissa Marr and Joe Flint entitled "DVDs Are Finally Paramount". The article explains that previous management figures had a strategy of bringing titles - film and TV based - to DVD in a slow and steady fashion, and that new management in place now has a different plan of increasing the studio's revenue by way of cutting loose on the library.

Much of this has been reported already, at the time that the executives did their shuffle in recent months, and it wasn't exactly news we could use here at TVShowsOnDVD because no actual titles were brought up. But the Wall Street Journal story is naming names!

Among those names are "Oscar" and "Felix": the story clearly shows that The Odd Couple is on-the-way to DVD from Paramount, by way of a list near an African Queen screenshot near the top of the article. No further info than that is given, so we don't have a timeline right now, or anything else. Great news, though, and we'll keep you posted! Stay tuned.

I don't know about you, but I'm feelin' kinda happy and peppy and bursting with love! (Awwwww.....)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author: Jimbo L.
Posted: 2/24/2005 11:12PM

Let it be so! I could cross another one off the wish list.

Here's hoping they release the whole series at one time--it's one show that definitely improved as time went on. Took a season or two to find its groove.

"It's only rock & roll, but I like it!"

Posted: 9/29/2005 01:37AM

Only seven months later, we've got some semblance of an update.

According to David Lambert, posting on the TV Shows On D.V.D. web site, Jack Klugman's new book Tony And Me: A Story Of Friendship includes "an 8-minute DVD with digitally restored outtakes from The Odd Couple, never seen before, that's guaranteed to be a hit with fans, or with anyone looking for a laugh."

Posted: 10/30/2005 11:09PM

A month later, the TV Shows On D.V.D. web site reports that "we are getting repeated e-mails from folks who heard it directly from {Jack Klugman} . . . that the long-awaited Odd Couple DVDs will be coming out in Spring 2006, possibly in April."

One of the website's correspondents spoke with Adam Klugman, Jack Klugman's son, and submitted this report: "Adam said that his father is currently very active in working with Paramount in offering to help contribute as much bonus material as possible, including interviews and audio commentaries. Jack's book {Tony and Me} is being well-received and Adam went on to say that he feels confident that we will see The Odd Couple on DVD sometime in the first half of 2006. Finally, Adam urged all of the fans that want to see The Odd Couple released on DVD to show their support by purchasing his dad's book and to also visit www.TonyandMe.com and let their voice be heard."

(Click on the TV Shows On D.V.D. link to see the above quote in its original context.)

Author: NoURider
Posted: 10/31/2005 11:52AM

coinboynyc,
I think the revivial of the play on Broadway with Brodwick (sp) and Lane which is setting records for ticket sales can only bode well as a strong(er) push to see this classic released.

Fingers crossed.

Author: Steve Talia
Posted: 11/1/2005 01:10AM

NoURider & Everybody,
If they get released, I will definitely be picking these up. I just have so many special memories of this show.
Steve T.

Posted: 3/13/2006 03:27AM

Four and a half months since the last post.

I just came across a recent (2/23/06) interview with Jack Klugman where he's asked about The Odd Couple coming to Digital Versatile Disc (D.V.D.):

Interviewer: According to a website I saw – this may or may not be true – I saw a website about DVDs that says that your son Adam was quoted as saying that "The Odd Couple" was going to come out on DVD this year. Do you know if there's any truth to that?

Jack Klugman: I have no idea about that. I hope it will, but I have no idea.

The website referred to is the TV Shows On D.V.D. website from where I've gotten the earlier quotes.

To be brutally frank, the quote really wasn't worth re-posting here... but it is an update of some kind... and it gave me a legitimate excuse to bump this thread.

Posted: 3/19/2006 11:12PM

The TV Shows On D.V.D. website today (Sun 03-19-06) reports that the studio needs more time "to prep the release. So we probably won't see this show begin to get DVD releases until at least this Fall. But, at the moment, we hear that it IS still on the table, and that Paramount/CBS does want to see this show get released on DVD."

For the full article click here.

Author: Steve Talia
Posted: 3/20/2006 05:03PM

coinboynyc,
Thanks. I went ahead and cast my vote.
Steve T.

Posted: 7/9/2006 01:06AM

Grand and glorious news for all fans of The Odd Couple!

The TV Shows On D.V.D. website reports that Time/Life will release The Odd Couple - The Complete 1st Season on August 14, price $38.97 for the 4-D.V.D. set.

The complete report, including a link to the Time/Life website, can be found here.

I didn't bother re-creating all of the links alluded to in the postings, so here's one link to the TV Shows On D.V.D. website, where all of the articles referred to can be seen in their original context.
"coinboynyc" on the ICE forums

Matt
What color are leaves?: Green
Spam?: No

Postby Matt » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:44 pm

"The Odd Couple" sure was a classic show. I'll definitely purchase the series as it is released.
-Matt

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:09 am

Shouldn't this be moved to 'The Arts'?
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:05 pm

krabapple wrote:Shouldn't this be moved to 'The Arts'?

Er...
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:18 am

lukpac wrote:
krabapple wrote:Shouldn't this be moved to 'The Arts'?

Er...

I could swear it wasn't here when I replied.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:02 pm

krabapple wrote:I could swear it wasn't here when I replied.

I left a "ghost" in the music forum...perhaps that's where the confusion lies?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Gary Dunaier

Postby Gary Dunaier » Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:40 am

TV Shows On D.V.D. reports that the release has been delayed to August 30.
"coinboynyc" on the ICE forums