That sound you hear? Hell freezing over

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Jeff

Postby Jeff » Wed May 17, 2006 5:55 pm

Well, come on. I mean, look at this realistically. George Lucas knows that Star Wars geeks will buy these things no matter how shitty they are. (They're second only to Beatle geeks on the uber-geek scale.) Why should he invest in new anamorphic transfers?

I guarantee that even the basement-dweller from The Digital Bits that wrote that little diatribe will be standing in line in front of Best Buy at midnight on release day to buy those fucking things.

I'm glad I don't give a fuck about Star Wars.

MK

Postby MK » Wed May 17, 2006 6:16 pm

You can say that about a lot of things - James Bond, the Beatles, the Stones, Dylan, Disney cartoons etc. anything with a cult following that has high demand products off the market.

It just SUCKS because you're so close and yet so far. These aren't even my favorite movies, I don't even like Return of the Jedi, and the original Star Wars (or New Hope or whatever it's called) is aging worse than room temperature soft cheese. Even if you hate them, you have to admit the special editions are MUCH worse. Some of what's shitty about the prequel is foreshadowed by the crap they threw into the background on the special editions.

Whatever, I'm not an Eagles fan, but I listen to Hotel California about twice a year, and when I do I pop in a CD-R burned from the DCC gold disc. So fuck Lucas, get me Mac the Ripper and I'll rent these when they hit the streets.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 17, 2006 6:34 pm

MK wrote:Some of what's shitty about the prequel is foreshadowed by the crap they threw into the background on the special editions.

?
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

MK

Postby MK » Wed May 17, 2006 6:40 pm

Mostly lame jokes with added CG creatures, which really look out of place in a 20-30 year old movie. You'll see one creature get into a row with another or something acting all 'cute' or some lame shit.

The worst is actually the added Jabba scene where Han Solo "steps" on his tail (and it looks pretty weird the way they manipulated Harrison Ford's image to do that).
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

lukpac
Top Dog and Sellout

Postby lukpac » Wed May 17, 2006 6:42 pm

Ahh. I'm not terribly familiar with any of the versions.
"I know because it is impossible for a tape to hold the compression levels of these treble boosted MFSL's like Something/Anything. The metal particulate on the tape would shatter and all you'd hear is distortion if even that." - VD

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 17, 2006 6:46 pm

Not too surprising, actually. I sort of suspected as much. I wonder if they even have suitable elements to do a new anamorphic transfer of the first one.

The quality will still be better than my homebrew LD transfers, though.

So fuck Lucas, get me Mac the Ripper and I'll rent these when they hit the street.

That sounds like a plan. Netflix to the rescue.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney

Rspaight

Postby Rspaight » Wed May 17, 2006 8:06 pm

Actually, now that I think about it, this is fracking hilarious. For years now, people have been whining about how they want the originals -- "I don't care what the quality is! Just give me the originals on DVD!"

So Lucas gives it to 'em.

He's probably laughing so hard at the uproar he'll strain his neck pouch.

Ryan
RQOTW: "I'll make sure that our future is defined not by the letters ACLU, but by the letters USA." -- Mitt Romney