WTF is wrong with you teenagers???

DVD/TV/movies/etc
MK

WTF is wrong with you teenagers???

Postby MK » Sun Apr 16, 2006 2:50 pm

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- Bob and Harvey Weinstein returned to the box-office lead as "Scary Movie 4" debuted with $41 million, the first No. 1 opening for the new company founded by the former Miramax bosses.

It was the best Easter weekend debut ever, beating the $30.1 million opening of "Panic Room" in 2002, according to studio estimates on Sunday.

With the success of "Scary Movie 4," Bob Weinstein said he hopes to have a fifth film in the horror-spoof franchise in theaters over Easter weekend next year.

"I say the Weinsteins should be getting 'Scary Movie' 5 through 10 ready right away," said Paul Dergarabedian, president of box-office tracker Exhibitor Relations.

Weinstein said director David Zucker and writer Jim Abrahams, collaborators on "Airplane!" and the "Naked Gun" movies, would reteam for the next sequel.

"Scary Movie 4" was released under the Weinstein Co.'s Dimension label, which the brothers brought with them after their departure from Disney-owned Miramax last year. Disney continues to share half the proceeds from the "Scary Movie" flicks and any future installments in pre-existing Dimension franchises, such as the "Scream" or "Spy Kids" series.

The Weinsteins will have sole control over any new franchises Dimension undertakes.

"We've got four or five new franchises in development, so it's not just like I'm going to go ad infinitum on the old stuff," Bob Weinstein said. "We've got other ideas that I'm really excited about starting."

The animated hit "Ice Age: The Meltdown," which had been No. 1 the previous two weekends, slipped to second place with $20 million, raising its total to $147.2 million.

The weekend's other new wide release, Disney's animated tale "The Wild," debuted at No. 4 with $9.6 million.

Fox Searchlight's acclaimed satire "Thank You for Smoking," a hit in limited release, expanded nationwide and took in $4.45 million to come in at No. 8.

Hollywood's overall revenues rose for the fourth-straight weekend, with the top-12 movies grossing $110 million. That was up 23 percent from 2005's Easter weekend, which came three weeks earlier last year. It was up about 45 percent compared to the mid-April weekend last year.

The industry has pulled ahead slightly from its slow pace last year, when movie attendance fell 8 percent. The "Ice Age" and "Scary Movie" sequels have provided a solid lead-in to what analysts consider a strong early-summer lineup that launches next month with "Mission: Impossible III," "The Da Vinci Code," the animated tale "Over the Hedge" and "Poseidon," a remake of "The Poseidon Adventure."

"Scary Movie 4" continued the success of 2003's "Scary Movie 3," which had rejuvenated the fading franchise by softening the tone from the R ratings of the first two installments to PG-13. The first "Scary Movie" opened at No. 1 in 2000 with a $42 million take.

The latest version features longtime "Scary Movie" player Anna Faris and co-stars Leslie Nielsen, a Zucker and Abrahams favorite who starred in "Airplane!" and "The Naked Gun" comedies.

Bob Weinstein said 40 to 50 percent of the audience was in the 12- to 17-year-old range. The movie also drew well among older audiences lured in by the Zucker-Abrahams brand of humor, Weinstein said.

Just fucking great. You support shit like this, you get more of the same.
"When people speak to you about a preventive war, you tell them to go and fight it. After my experience, I have come to hate war." – Dwight D. Eisenhower

"Neither slave nor tyrant." - Basque motto

Crummy Old Label Avatar

Re: WTF is wrong with you teenagers???

Postby Crummy Old Label Avatar » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:35 pm

MK wrote:Just fucking great. You support shit like this, you get more of the same.

Cf. The ongoing careers of Paul McCartney, the Stones, Clapton, et al.
If you love Hi-REZ TAPE HISS, you're REALLY going to love Stereo Central

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:11 pm

I was absolutely stunned when I saw the marquee of the local theater this weekend and it said SCARY MOVIE 4. Jeezus. I've seen the first one and it's one of the unfunniest pieces of shit ever made. Seriously, it makes those fucking National Lampoon movies look intelligent.

I love how the Weinstein Brothers get to have it both ways. While they're collecting Oscars and acting like sophisticated arthouse mavens, they're sneaking offal like Scary Movie 4 out the back door.

And what's the fucking deal with movie budgets and opening weekend grosses being such big discussion points these days? I can't think of a better example of the idiocy of capitalism.

Xenu
Sellout

Postby Xenu » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:29 pm

Ess: *Exactly*. I refused to see "1," was dimly aware of "2," and was shocked as all fuck that they were somehow up to "4."

The only excuse I can fathom: what the fuck esle are people supposed to do this weekend?

Or maybe profanation is just cooler on Easter.
-------------
"Fuckin' Koreans" - Reno 911

Bennett Cerf

Postby Bennett Cerf » Sun Apr 16, 2006 5:49 pm

I think teenagers are among the few who are still seeing movies in theaters on a regular basis.

JWB

Postby JWB » Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:04 pm

I was just thinking about how horrible movies are nowadays. There are movies that they push every 15 minutes on cable TV...like the one where that slut dresses up as a boy and has trouble trying to be "boyish"...or the one where the fat black mamas are out on the town...or those fucking Madea movies...why do they have to push them every 15 minutes?...I can't believe anybody would want to go see that crap after seeing those painfully unfunny promos over and over again.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:48 pm

Xenu wrote:Ess: *Exactly*. I refused to see "1," was dimly aware of "2," and was shocked as all fuck that they were somehow up to "4."

The only excuse I can fathom: what the fuck esle are people supposed to do this weekend?

Or maybe profanation is just cooler on Easter.

NB: '3' and '4' were made by Dave Zucker (of Airplane/Naked Gun fame) while 1 and 2 weren't. That;s a good pedigree, and from what I've read this one may actually have some laffs.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant