Sign o' the Times: The Movie

DVD/TV/movies/etc
Ess Ay Cee Dee

Sign o' the Times: The Movie

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:51 pm

If anyone's interested, the Sundance Channel is showing Prince's Sign o the Times film this month. It's been out of print for ages and there's still no DVD release, so it's kinda cool that it's been resurrected.

Is it a great film? No. It's horribly dated and pretty cheesy. Still, the music is great and there isn't exactly a ton of "official" Prince live footage out there. (It's debatable how "live" it is, though. Parts of it were filmed on a soundstage at Paisley Park and I'm sure there were extensive overdubs.)

Check your cable listings. I have it sitting on my DVR--I just need to get off my ass and buy a video capture device so I can transfer it to DVD.

Beatlesfan03

Postby Beatlesfan03 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:20 pm

Here's one from Canada, maybe it was pressed by Disque Americ! :twisted:

http://tinyurl.com/oyrrd

Despite the cheesy looking artwork, I'm 99% certain that the disc is legit as I recognize the Alliance Entertainment logo in the lower right hand corner. I had the Canadian import of "Trainspotting" which was distributed on Alliance because it was not only a far better transfer than the standard Miramax version that had been available, but it was also the only place where you could get the original UK cut of the film (though there were a few alterations).

Might be worth taking a shot for $15.00.
Craig

Ess Ay Cee Dee

Postby Ess Ay Cee Dee » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:23 am

Interesting. Those crafty Canucks!

Actually, I did notice that the film begins with an Alliance logo so that makes sense. I have the Canadian Alliance DVD of David Cronenberg's Existenz and it's pretty damn good.

krabapple

Postby krabapple » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:13 am

Cool beans...I now have on one order from amazon.ca.
"I recommend that you delete the Rancid Snakepit" - Grant

CitizenDan

Postby CitizenDan » Thu Apr 13, 2006 10:48 am

Well, it's his best band playing songs from his best album, so I think it's wonderful, cheese or no cheese. My fave bit: The Hammond organ vamp that introduces "Hot Thing."
We were right about Vietnam. We were right about Nixon. We were right about Reaganomics. Trust us -- we're right about Bush, too.